Not Cut Out for the City

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Took the family to Dallas for the weekend. My middle daughter played in an invitational soccer tournament. 3 games on Saturday. Lost one game, tied one, and won one. Unfortunately, we missed the cut by one point and didn't advance to the semifinals. We all just about fried on the sidelines, but I was glad to be there to holler for my girl.

I have realized that I'm just not cut out to spend too much time in places like Dallas anymore. We were staying off of Dallas North Tollway. Too many people, too much traffic, too much noise, too expensive. You get the picture.

Good news is that when we got back home, we had a new calf. Also, two potential cow problems that I've been watching were showing great signs of improvement. I just sat in the truck and watched cows for a while and all was good again.

Why is the theme song to "Green Acres" going through my head right now? :cboy:

I'm with you. I can't take much of the big cities. Only very small doses. I was at a commission meeting one night and a commissioner state that we need to be more progressive like a larger town was. I had to stop him and ask him if he really meant what he said. Did he really call that madness progress. If it is, I don't want none of it.

The "big city" of Lebanon, pop 12k drives me nuts. Too many cars and people in too small of a space.

J. T.":ovnx9f6b said:
Why is the theme song to "Green Acres" going through my head right now? :cboy:

:lol: That's funny. I actually told the family I felt like the Clampetts on Beverly Hillbillies had come to town. Our car was just about as loaded down as their old jalopy was when they drove into Hollywood. We (3 girls and my wife and me) pack more for a weekend trip than you can imagine. Add the two ice chests for the soccer team and I could have used helper springs on our SUV this weekend. :lol:

I say it every time I have to drive through Fort Worth or Dallas. I lived in Arlington for so many years, I can't believe I did it. Then we moved to Cleburne, and I thought it was a small town. Now I hate driving there. Alvarado's nice, but too close to the interstate. Yep, the next time I move, it's gonna be way off the beaten path. I've already told Steve.

Progress as defined by the cities is more people, which equals more tax dollars which equals more employees, more equipment, more "services", and the list keeps growing. Perhaps if they would look at progress from my eyes, they would see that this is not progress at all.

I detest going to the towns/cities.

i for 1 hate going to the big city.thank goodness i dont have to go there.an i always feel out of place there.

I grew up in a small town. Granbury's not small anymore, but back when I was a kid, there wasn't even a grocery store. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I went to school at UTA and then continued to live in Arlington until 1997. Keep in mind, Arlington grew a LOT between 1982 and 1997. I mean, a LOT. And it still continues to grow.

I left because I wanted a slower pace of life for my sons. It was all about having your kids in 6 different activities, bussing them around from one to the next. It was all to hectic on them and on me. So I got back to my roots and have never looked back. My only regret is not having done it sooner.

When I see neighborhoods spring up in corn fields, it makes me so sad. It isn't like I was not one of those people, but when I moved, I left my issues in Arlington. I see so many just moving their problems, their gangs, their lifestyle, away from where they came and they don't escape their problems, they take them along.

Progress seems to be following me. I gotta get out of here. Soon.

Hopefully the next town I move NEAR will have a post office and a maw and paw gas station. Hopefully it will be the only post office for miles.

backhoeboogie":1geebc4w said:
Hopefully the next town I move NEAR will have a post office and a maw and paw gas station. Hopefully it will be the only post office for miles.

Boogie...and I hope I'm your closest neighbor...about a ten minute drive down the county road. :nod: I'll meet you at the mom and pop for refreshments on Saturday mornings.

Our city of Columbus (population 25k) makes me go crazy, I get restless in the city and feel to crowded....bad things is I have to go to college next year and will be going through Columbus near every day!!!!!! :mad:

I grew up in a small community of about 200 people and I was kin to about 195 of them. I rode a school bus 16 miles to a small town. Married a city girl from Houston. It's been a slow process, but I'm getting her converted to country. Every move we have made over the last 19 years has been further away from development. If it was up to me, I'd be living down a 20 mile long gravel driveway. She used to judge a city by the quality, size and proximity of the malls. I don't hear that much anymore. Thanks goodness!

Lammie, one of my girls asked why everything in north Plano is new. I told her 5 years ago, we would have been standing in a huge cornfield. It's just sad. The houses are stacked on top of each other and they all look the same.

I went from population 314 In E. Texas out to Lubbock, Texas Population way to many. I know the feeling, I hate hate hate the big city, and the lack of trees. Flying back home today can't wait to see some trees, wet ground, cattle grazing, and air free of red dirt.

Parkerson Cattle Co.":2kvt3mks said:
I went from population 314 In E. Texas out to Lubbock, Texas Population way to many. I know the feeling, I hate hate hate the big city, and the lack of trees. Flying back home today can't wait to see some trees, wet ground, cattle grazing, and air free of red dirt.

pop. 314, you must be from Fruitvale versus Grand Saline.

skyline":2tdjxdxd said:
I grew up in a small community of about 200 people and I was kin to about 195 of them. I rode a school bus 16 miles to a small town. Married a city girl from Houston. It's been a slow process, but I'm getting her converted to country. Every move we have made over the last 19 years has been further away from development. If it was up to me, I'd be living down a 20 mile long gravel driveway. She used to judge a city by the quality, size and proximity of the malls. I don't hear that much anymore. Thanks goodness!

Lammie, one of my girls asked why everything in north Plano is new. I told her 5 years ago, we would have been standing in a huge cornfield. It's just sad. The houses are stacked on top of each other and they all look the same.

A poor guy coming home a bit tipsy could accidently walk into the wrong house too. Bet that's happened many times. :lol2:

TexasBred":tjra0h93 said:
A poor guy coming home a bit tipsy could accidently walk into the wrong house too. Bet that's happened many times. :lol2:

I bet that excuse has been used more then once.

dun":3d8704kz said:
TexasBred":3d8704kz said:

I bet that excuse has been used more then once.
:lol: :lol: Don't you know it. :clap:

Our county got it's first stoplight about 3 or 4 years ago. Ran thru it under a red light one morning about 6am with a load of calves. Sure would have been nice if someone told me they put it in...

Latest posts