Not a prolapse but...?

Help Support CattleToday:

AnnetteG

Reaction score
I have an Angus cow with a calf at her side that I am getting ready to have inseminated. About 3 weeks ago, when she lays down, her vagina hangs open and you can see a tennisball size lump. It doesn't happen everytime she lays down, but most of the time. The only thing that is diffrent with her is them that I bought her from this spring had her in and had clipped her tail so she has to throw her head up on her back to get flies...could this strain her? She is from 2004.

Could be a leiomyoma/fibroleiomyoma - a benign tumor of the smooth muscle &/or connective tissue of the wall of the vagina. I've seen a couple the size of a volleyball - made it difficult to deliver the calf. You may need to have your vet look at it. If they're pedunculated(on a stalk), it's a pretty simple matter to clamp, ligate, and cut it off.

AnnetteG":1lsae8y8 said:
I have an Angus cow with a calf at her side that I am getting ready to have inseminated. About 3 weeks ago, when she lays down, her vagina hangs open and you can see a tennisball size lump. It doesn't happen everytime she lays down, but most of the time. The only thing that is diffrent with her is them that I bought her from this spring had her in and had clipped her tail so she has to throw her head up on her back to get flies...could this strain her? She is from 2004.
I have a 2001 born ANgus cow that does the same thing and has since her first calf. Doc says a prolapse in the making but not yet. He said to leave it alone . We have and she's not had a problem with it and her heifer we kept back does not have this problem. (Looks worse when ready to calve...lol_)
Valerie

Latest posts