Not a people person

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Some mentioned in another thread that social distancing was nothing new; they had been doing it for years. :D I'm curious, do most of you here consider yourselves introverts? Do you not need a lot of socializing to be happy? Do you find yourself at home a lot unless it's for supplies? How does this set with family? Are they introverts too?

callmefence said:
A person's need or lack of need for social interaction does not necessarily make them a introvert or a extrovert.

Maybe not, but it is a characteristic of an introvert, but I'm basically asking if a lot of you like solitude on the farm as opposed attending a lot of social activities.

I like a very limited number of people.. I like my friday nights playing cards and darts with a couple friends, I'm fine being isolated otherwise

herofan said:
callmefence said:
A person's need or lack of need for social interaction does not necessarily make them a introvert or a extrovert.

Maybe not, but it is a characteristic of an introvert, but I'm basically asking if a lot of you like solitude on the farm as opposed attending a lot of social activities.

It may be a characteristic but it's a very poor choice of words.
I don't care for social activities. But when they can't be avoided , I tend to somewhat dominant the conversation and or activity. I deal with customers and employees the same way. One definition of introvert is shy or timid. Ask anyone who knows me lol.
But I do prefer to be alone for the most part. That doesn't mean I stay at home. Another poor speculation. I can work all day, all week without being around another person. Or I can go work with the fence crew and be around two or three.

My wife works in a different world and is a very outgoing person. But in our time together she has become more like me. Not caring for social events, where most of what goes on is people blowing smoke about how successful , culturaled and in general better they are. And since I have this thing I do where I tell people they're full of shyt.well that can cause trouble.

My oldest boy can make friends at a gas pump.
Won't stay out of town and if he doesn't get off Facebook I'm cutting him out of the will.

.my youngest says very little. Very quiet and serious. Like me he doesn't handle down time well. I've already told him. Your gonna have to look after your brother. He says.." why don't you tell me something I don't know."...lol

callmefence said:
herofan said:
callmefence said:

I don't care for social activities. But when they can't be avoided , I tend to somewhat dominant the conversation and or activity. I deal with customers and employees the same way. One definition of introvert is shy or timid. Ask anyone who knows me lol.

Shy or timid may be a characteristic of some introverts and may be used in the definition at times, but being an introvert is much different than just being shy. One can be an introvert and not be shy at all. There are entertainers who can be in front of crowds and entertain, but are still technically introverts.

herofan said:
callmefence said:
herofan said:

Shy or timid may be a characteristic of some introverts and may be used in the definition at times, but being an introvert is much different than just being shy. One can be an introvert and not be shy at all. There are entertainers who can be in front of crowds and entertain, but are still technically introverts.

Shy and timid is actually the definition...but hey whatever. I answered your post in a honest and lengthy way. You feel the need to argue the definition. That's in the dictionary..... what kinda personality are you...lol

callmefence said:
Shy and timid is actually the definition...but hey whatever. I answered your post in a honest and lengthy way. You feel the need to argue the definition. That's in the dictionary..... what kinda personality are you...lol

Actually, I'm an introvert. It was never my intention to argue about it. I thought that's what you were trying to do when you immediately tried to correct my post and say it was a poor choice of words. Even if shy and timid is sometimes used as a definition, that is just a very, very generic definition that is basically more of a characteristic. I focused on introversion/extroversion quite a bit in college many years ago. I assume you Googled a definition, so I did the same and found some explanations that describe it in more detail:

"Introversion is a personality trait characterized by a focus on internal feelings rather than on external sources of stimulation. Introverts tend to be more quiet, reserved, and introspective. Unlike extroverts who gain energy from social interaction, introverts have to expend energy in social situations. After attending a party or spending time in a large group of people, introverts often feel a need to "recharge" by spending a period of time alone.

It is important to note that introversion does not necessarily equate with shyness. In their book, The Development of Shyness and Social Withdrawal, authors Schmidt and Buss write, "Sociability refers to the motive, strong or weak, of wanting to be with others, whereas shyness refers to behavior when with others, inhibited or uninhibited, as well as feelings of tension and discomfort." Shyness indicates a fear of people or social situations. Introverts, on the other hand, simply do not like to spend lots of time interacting with other people"

herofan said:
callmefence said:

Actually, I'm an introvert. It was never my intention to argue about it. I thought that's what you were trying to do when you immediately tried to correct my post and say it was a poor choice of words. Even if shy and timid is sometimes used as a definition, that is just a very, very generic definition that is basically more of a characteristic. I focused on introversion/extroversion quite a bit in college many years ago. I assume you Googled a definition, so I did the same and found some explanations that describe it in more detail:

"Introversion is a personality trait characterized by a focus on internal feelings rather than on external sources of stimulation. Introverts tend to be more quiet, reserved, and introspective. Unlike extroverts who gain energy from social interaction, introverts have to expend energy in social situations. After attending a party or spending time in a large group of people, introverts often feel a need to "recharge" by spending a period of time alone.

It is important to note that introversion does not necessarily equate with shyness. In their book, The Development of Shyness and Social Withdrawal, authors Schmidt and Buss write, "Sociability refers to the motive, strong or weak, of wanting to be with others, whereas shyness refers to behavior when with others, inhibited or uninhibited, as well as feelings of tension and discomfort." Shyness indicates a fear of people or social situations. Introverts, on the other hand, simply do not like to spend lots of time interacting with other people"

State your source...lol
Mine is Webster's dictionary.
You could have simply ask if people enjoyed solitude or social events more. And it would have been more correct.
You assume I googled. Which is typical of you.
Maybe you did. And if you didn't, you should have.

callmefence said:
State your source...lol
Mine is Webster's dictionary.
You could have simply ask if people enjoyed solitude or social events more. And it would have been more correct.
You assume I googled. Which is typical of you.
Maybe you did. And if you didn't, you should have.

There is a source in my last post. I could have just asked if people enjoyed solitude or social events more, but I was interested in whether people actually considered themselves introverts. I'm sure you are aware that a dictionary definition is just that; it's a definition and not an in-depth study of the topic of anything. I looked up the word "farmer," in my dictionary, and it reads, "One who works on or operates a farm." Do you think someone could read that and have everything they need to know about being a farmer? I don't have a Webster's dictionary, but I got out my hard copy of The American Heritage College Dictionary," and it doesn't use the word shy anywhere in the definition. Different dictionaries use different language in their short definitions. Here are some other book sources that will help explain introversion:

Introvert Power by Laurie Helgoe, PhD
Introverts in Love by Sophia Dembling
The Awakened Introvert by Arnie Kozak
Quiet Influence by Jennifer B. Kahnweiler, PhD

herofan said:
callmefence said:

YES!
Now shhhhh!
Ur ruining my quiet time.... :cowboy:

I have always had problems with my hearing and that has shied me away from gatherings. It certainly hasn't got better with age. I can converse quite well with one person, maybe I lip read a bit to differentiate tones. I think I am quite outgoing and friendly with one or two people and enjoy a conversation but in a big group I prefer just to be by myself rather than join in and having to ask people to repeat what they said or just pretend to understand. People tend to think I am antisocial.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I have always had problems with my hearing and that has shied me away from gatherings. It certainly hasn't got better with age. I can converse quite well with one person, maybe I lip read a bit to differentiate tones. I think I am quite outgoing and friendly with one or two people and enjoy a conversation but in a big group I prefer just to be by myself rather than join in and having to ask people to repeat what they said or just pretend to understand. People tend to think I am antisocial.

Ken

I can relate to the hard of hearing. To many years of running a air driver and rock drill without hearing protection. I can actually hear pretty good if there's no background noice. And whoever I'm taking to looks me in the eyes. Otherwise I'm pretty dam deaf. I guess I'm to cheap to buy hearing aids, but mostly I just don't really care to hear most of what people say... LoL

Since I started the thread, I suppose I should share my personality. The thing that I relate to most about being an introvert is that I like being away from crowds to recharge; being around gatherings drains me. I don't dislike people, and I'm not shy at all; being in education, I do a lot of things in front of crowds and I don't give it a second though. I don't, however, crave being at gatherings, especially with people I'm not close to. I may not give it much thought while at the gathering, but when I'm in the truck headed back home, it sure feels good.

I enjoy being with a few close friends and family, but gatherings of people outside that group doesn't do a lot for me. At Christmas, for example, I'd rather gather with the immediate family than to have 100 people running around, and it's everything from the 5th cousin to the friend's friend's mechanic.

I don't know if there is an adjective to describe me.
Some traits and tendencies I have:
1. I don't dislike people, but after a lifetime I have learned people.
2. I am extremely independent, and prefer to have no assistance with projects.
3. Open to opinions, but my own is the only one I care about.
4. Struggle to conversate about anything besides: rodeo, horses, cows.
5. Bashful to a flaw one on one, but........I am comfortable speaking to a group of 1,000 or more. I actually quit enjoy speaking to a large group.
6. I have only a few close personal friends, but I would never tell them anything personal.
7. Tried to phrase this a few different ways, and it sounds weird every time. Here goes. in a town of 30,000 people, I seem to be known quit well by all. I can't go out and eat, and enjoy a meal. Too many people in the restraunt will try to talk to me. If I am in any hurry at all, I have to send my kids in a store to get what I need. If I go in, there will be no in and out. Took me 30 minutes at one stop yesterday, and an hour at another. Not sure how I get involved in conversations, but I do. It's the opposite of how I actually feel.

So what does all that make me? Crazy?

Bigfoot said:
5. Bashful to a flaw one on one, but........I am comfortable speaking to a group of 1,000 or more. I actually quit enjoy speaking to a large group.
6. I have only a few close personal friends, but I would never tell them anything personal.
7. Tried to phrase this a few different ways, and it sounds weird every time. Here goes. in a town of 30,000 people, I seem to be known quit well by all. I can't go out and eat, and enjoy a meal. Too many people in the restraunt will try to talk to me. If I am in any hurry at all, I have to send my kids in a store to get what I need. If I go in, there will be no in and out. Took me 30 minutes at one stop yesterday, and an hour at another. Not sure how I get involved in conversations, but I do. It's the opposite of how I actually feel.

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to a lot of that. For someone who would rather keep the public socializing to a minimum, but it happens anyway, you must do something that makes you well known, or you must have an inviting, pleasant aura, or both.

Bigfoot said:

Definitely crazy.

herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to a lot of that. For someone who would rather keep the public socializing to a minimum, but it happens anyway, you must do something that makes you well known, or you must have an inviting, pleasant aura, or both.

He's a flipping Sasquatch! Of course people wanna chat.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

He's a flipping Sasquatch! Of course people wanna chat.

Heck I thought he was Santa Claus :lol2:

Latest posts