Nose tongs

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am wanting to know what kind of nose tongs work best , are easy to use and safe to restrain cattle heads while they are in the squeeze chute.
I have been looking at several models . One model had a long handle that looked easy to use but I was concerned that if an animal slung it off it might mess up my smile :lol: . Can someone with some experience with tongs let me know. Thanks

We find using a rope halter works as good in the head gate as any tongs
and you don`t have to worry about them getting a nose bleed when they
pull hard enough and get it out.
We use to use the tongs in our tie stall dairy barn on heifers that did`nt
want to be milked and I guarentee they can get them out.

I use a rope halter if I have to tie their head when they are in the chute I think it is easier on them. I haven't used a nose pincher in years.

Well, I guess you would just have to ask yourself, "How would I like those tongs in my nose?". I think I would come to the conclusion that a rope halter would be pretty safe for ME. Not being a wise guy but I don't like pi#*^*^% the cows off anymore than what they already are when your working them. My 8 cents worth.

Dick

Get your self an animal immobolizer.....save all the stress for the animal and maybe you getting hurt. It's worth the bucks...take care of it....you'll need it again in the future...no doubt. See one in action...you will not believe the ease of procedures on the animal.

Rope - loop the neck - half hitch the nose - pull the head over - tie it off to one side - repeat the half hitch on the nose and cross tie - they can not move.

Horned animals are really easy to restrain - cross tie the horns - half hitch the nose and you're done.

In all cases - cheap - quick - very effective.

Bez

I have a pair that has been used about twice in 20 years. They are just not worth it. I like most use the rope halter if I have to.

denoginnizer":y0in4wur said:
Thanks for the advice.

I have two pair. Basically different brands. I haven't used them but maybe once in the last 5 years. Used to use them everytime. We also used to drench when worming. I alternate now between injection and pour on wormers. I usually don't have to mess with the heads much anymore. If I do, I usually just use my thumb and index finger, grab the nose and pull the head to one side. Only a couple of time were they able to get away. Now the bulls I don't even try that one as they can throw me across the pen and have.

I just put halters on two young heifer this weekend in a head catch. Actually went easier than I thought. You really have to watch those flying heads. They will knock you out or knock your teeth out. Be real careful. The fun part was when I released them and held onto the lead ropes...YeeHaw! It is pretty amazing just how strong a 500 pound heifer is. I won though as I managed to get the rope around a tree on the way by :lol:

flaboy":2bgiush0 said:
denoginnizer":2bgiush0 said:
Thanks for the advice.

I have two pair. Basically different brands. I haven't used them but maybe once in the last 5 years. Used to use them everytime. We also used to drench when worming. I alternate now between injection and pour on wormers. I usually don't have to mess with the heads much anymore. If I do, I usually just use my thumb and index finger, grab the nose and pull the head to one side. Only a couple of time were they able to get away. Now the bulls I don't even try that one as they can throw me across the pen and have.

I just put halters on two young heifer this weekend in a head catch. Actually went easier than I thought. You really have to watch those flying heads. They will knock you out or knock your teeth out. Be real careful. The fun part was when I released them and held onto the lead ropes...YeeHaw! It is pretty amazing just how strong a 500 pound heifer is. I won though as I managed to get the rope around a tree on the way by :lol:

Years back I had bought a green broke 700 lb show heifer. It was spring time, the rye grass was tall, and the dew was still on the ground. I put her in the head gate to put the halter on, opened the gate, and the race was on. I skied for 30 meters beside her before my foot caught a rut and down under her I went. The first 29 meters were great, but that last one could have been better.

Tod Dague":2oobxuxf said:
Years back I had bought a green broke 700 lb show heifer. It was spring time, the rye grass was tall, and the dew was still on the ground. I put her in the head gate to put the halter on, opened the gate, and the race was on. I skied for 30 meters beside her before my foot caught a rut and down under her I went. The first 29 meters were great, but that last one could have been better.

Ah therein lies the problem. You need to use about a 9 foot lead rope on a calf that size. Gets you behind it enough to miss flying hoofs and "when" you go down you are still far enough behind to avoid the going down under it.. :lol:

Never used any type with long handles. We don't use them that often any more. They work fine, but as others have said it's just as easy to use a rope. Come to think of it, I guess we used them mostly back before we had head gates. Now a rope works just as good because the animal's neck is held in place.

Craig-TX

I just bought a new head gate with neck extenders. I havn't used it yet, but I'm hopeing it will allow me to get away from the halter most of the time. It has catches for a chain to go over the head to hold in in place. Anyone ever use one of these.

I have another corral set up that I can also get them to. I just wanted another closer to my barn. The other setup does not have neck extenders. I usually put on a halter and pull the head to one side or the other. I'm setting up this newer corrall/catchpen/feedlots/alley/sickbay combo up where I can do everthing from one location. I'm also designing it where I can bring cattle from differant agegroups and pastures into the same area to make things easier on me.

Bama":1nf198hm said:
I just bought a new head gate with neck extenders. I havn't used it yet, but I'm hopeing it will allow me to get away from the halter most of the time. It has catches for a chain to go over the head to hold in in place. Anyone ever use one of these.

We have the chain catches on our head gate. It works pretty well although it is hard to get it tight enough and in the right spot so that it does it's job. Usually by the time they wiggle out we are done anyways so it seems to work pretty well once you figure it out.
Best of luck!

I use the chain on my old one.I have the same problems as you. I was hopeing that with the neck extenders it would solve this problem.

Latest posts