Nose tongs

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama":36yfx1ru said:
I use the chain on my old one.I have the same problems as you. I was hopeing that with the neck extenders it would solve this problem.

How are you guys using these chain catches? I have both a squeeze for the larger stuff and just head catch for the smaller stuff I raise. Never seen these chains in action. Thanks

And as a reminder, goes without saying, if one choses to use a nose tong, DO NOT tie it off to anything, unless you are looking for torn nostrils etc.. let an assitant hang on to the rope end of it. :cboy:

Medic24":1gomq2xy said:
And as a reminder, goes without saying, if one choses to use a nose tong, DO NOT tie it off to anything, unless you are looking for torn nostrils etc.. let an assitant hang on to the rope end of it. :cboy:

Like I said above, we don't hardly use them any more but back when we were using crowding chutes we ALWAYS tied it off. Ours tongs don't have chains. Instead they have a rope with a knot in the end. An assistant holding the rope would have to be much of a man to hold a bull or cow still.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":13jpwfgk said:
Medic24":13jpwfgk said:

Like I said above, we don't hardly use them any more but back when we were using crowding chutes we ALWAYS tied it off. Ours tongs don't have chains. Instead they have a rope with a knot in the end. An assistant holding the rope would have to be much of a man to hold a bull or cow still.

Craig-TX

Oh, so they were talking about chains on the tongs? I thought they had chains on the head catch they were using in some way. My tongs (rusty as they may) be both have a rope with a knot like Craig said.

No, the only tongs I have used had a rope. The chains I'm refering to are on the headgate. There is a slot on each side of the cows head that will accept a chain. You hook a chain in the slot and go over the head and hook it in the other slot on the other side. This will keep them from raising their head. The new one has neck extender bars that swing out. These hold the neck out farther. It also has chain hooks. I'm building another corral closer to my barn. I havn't used this newer one yet.
Sorry about the confusion.

BAMA

Ours has a short length of chain to which is tied a length of rope. We tie them off.

Latest posts