Treatment for snotty nose coughing calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JosieBlue

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 9 week old jersey calf that seems to have a reoccurring cough. About 4 weeks ago the vet treated her with Resflor and she got better right away. Then two weeks later the cough came back and I requested the Resflor again. This time she got much better but still had a tiny bit lingering cough. The cough and runny eyes have worsened over the last week and she had a very snotty nose this morning . This calf has been fecal tested clean a couple of times. I am wondering what medication you think would work best for her? As the vet is closed today I could get something from tractor supply. Like Tylan or one of the other otc antibiotics. Or should I wait for the vet to reopen tomorrow? She is already on a calf bolus ( second pill ). Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

If Resflor hasn't knocked it out nothing over the counter will.
Calf probably has some amount of lung damage that can't be repaired (lung lesions) Maybe she can grow out of it.
Resflor is the same as Nuflor both very good products.
On repulls or retreats I'd switch it up and ask your Vet to try Zactran or Draxxin.
Unfortunately if they don't recover on first treatment about 10% never will fully respond no matter what you use.

We had one this summer that had a cough, snotty nose and sluggish acting. Treated with Resflor and in a few days acted better, just to be safe (or so I thought) I gave himLA300 and turned the pair back out. 2 weeks later he relapsed, treated with Draxxin and he cleared right up.

Son of Butch":1v0pxw2r said:
If Resflor hasn't knocked it out nothing over the counter will.

I'm trying something a friend's Vet suggested to him and he thinks it works. Two days after a 6cc/100wt subQ shot of Nuflor, follow up daily with a "nice" dose of Penicillin daily until it gets better. The vet said penicillin should take care of anything that Nuflor wouldn't. I've only tried it once so far and it worked (but I did go with a second shot of Nuflor before the Penicillin; had to build up confidence first! The calf was still not up to par after the second shot of Nuflor, I only used one dose of Penicillin and he was good to go.). Curious what your thoughts are on this? Anyone else follow up with a Penicillin? Penicillin sure is cheaper.

Thank you all so much , this is all great information ! I will try the draxxin for her and maybe the penicillin chaser if needed if the vet says ok. I never considered lung damage but hopefully she can grow out of this mess. Your help is so appreciated!

i have a calf that was born in July 2021, 2 days after she was born she couldn't breath. Vet came we ended up treating her with meds off and on for about a month. after that she always had a lingering cough. especially when she ran. 7mo later she started coughing all the time having major white discharge and very lethargic. Vet came treated her and we treated other cows also. She has been really good. Then today i heard her cough again and she was running around playing. so i thought she just over exerted herself. then this evening i saw white snotty stuff in her nose again. i am wondering if i need to call vet again..I don't know if she will always have respitory issues. My husband is getting really tired of how much she is costing us. She will never be able to breed.

Latest posts