Question regarding weaning calves with nose flap

Help Support CattleToday:

Bryan L

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm considering using the nose flaps to wean my calves. I have the applegate 650 lb creep feeders and I want to make sure the calves can still get to the feed?? Does anyone have experience using the two together?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Used them for years - not with a creep feeder, but calves were either grazing with dams or grazing/eating hay and DDG in feedbunks. No issues.

Fenceline weaned the past two seasons, with calves in the barnlot and cows in adjoining pasture. Worked well, no more bawling/walking than when we separated them after nose blab removal - and two less trips through the chute. Don't imagine we'll be using them any more.

Saw somebody recently - maybe here - that talked about 'weaning the cows' in the barnlot and leaving the calves out in their 'home' pasture; that might work even slicker... but I'd rather be getting those weanlings on feed and let the mamas rustle up their own grub.

Never used the flaps but we have done fenceline weaning for several years now and are big believers that it's a very effective method for weaning. Cows and calves seem to get their bawling over sooner and having them just across the fence from each other seems to take a lot of the stress off the calves because even after the cows get their bawling over they still are in close proximity for the calves to see. Sure beats having to work the herd an extra time to put the nose flaps in too and also 1 less thing you would have to do at weaning too.

I usually keep the calves in the corral to wean them, but I'm currently using a nose piece with one of the calves and I really like it. Eats and drinks fine and neither the cow nor calf are stressed out. Hasn't been nursing at all, and the nose piece was pretty cheap at around $4-5 I think. I don't use creep feeders, but after mine got used to it it's been eating fine out of the trough. If you have a lot of calves I probably wouldn't use the nose pieces just for the sake of saving some time and work, though.

I've always considered using them. But, the only thing that I don't care for, is you already have the calves caught then you turn them back out with mamma and have to catch them again five days later. Some of them could not be so willing to come five days later. B&G

I think I'm gonna try them this year. But I have a small feedlot/ yard to use. I'll flap the calves and leave them all in the yard for the 5 days with their mothers. Calves will get used to the yard, the water and feed areas. And then the cows will go back to pasture - Away from the neighbourhood, leaving the calves quiet and ready to eat hopefully.

Latest posts