non-nursing baby heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

katiebug_2011

Reaction score
I have a Week and a 1/2 old heifer that will not nurse. I tube feed her and everything else but she shows no interest in wanting to eat/dring/nurse etc. I let her out of her pin and she bucks and runs as if nothings wrong. The Vet thinks that she has an inherited disease, but we don't know which one. The mama lost one this way last year but i didn't catch it in time to bring it in to the vet. She also acts like she's having a ceasure, after we feed her about 30-45 minuets later if she's standing she just falls and throws her head around and then gets right back up. if she's laying down, then she kicks her feet out and throws her head around for a few seconds, and then gets comfortable again. She has the scours pretty bad as well. the vet said to put 30 ccs of pepto in her milk everytime i feed her so i have been. it hasn't gotten any better. i need HELP!

ok youve been tubing the calf for 10 days.an the calf wont suck a bottle.does the calf try to suck or lick on your fingers.id try to get the calf to drink from a bucket.

What kind of milk are you feeding her?Real cow's milk or milk replacer and has she ever had the taste of real milk?

How often and how much are you tube feeding? Is common to over feed babies. BB338 is right, is better to bucket feed than tube feed. Are you offering grower? Sometimes of they won't take it, I mix in molasses. The dark brown stuff, just a little.

As I'm sure you know, mom needs to go soon ~ there is no reason to continue feeding her. She should not be rebred before sale, it will just become someone else's problem.

The baby won't drink because it's used to it's mama's teat. It's getting it's nutrition from the tubing. Put out some calf starter grower dry feed for the baby. And, when you mix the milk replacer for the baby, mix the powder with half the water called for. That way the tube won't be down the throat any longer than necessary.

When you notice the dry feed gone, immediately give it more. This calf is gonna need to be weaned quick!

Alice

Check your private messages...and don't forget to put out plenty of fresh water for the calf. Also, get some probios and give the calf a squirt of that once or twice a day. You can get it at the feed store or even Tractor Supply.

And, give the calf a shot of Vitamin A,E,&D, and a shot of Vitamin B complex. It's not prescription medicine, so the vet doesn't have to give it...you can.

Alice

I've read all the posts so far and I think I would try everything that has been mentioned so far.1. give a shot of Mu-Se or Bo-Se. There are selenium yeast products that can be mixed in the milk and are better than Mu-Se or Bo-Se, plus no Rx.2. check amount of milk being fed. Recommendations on bags are for a 100 lb calf. 3. I will tube a calf for a couple of times, then I use a nipple with the end cut off and make her swallow the milk, add a little oatmeal in the milk.4. inspect the inside of her mouth and gums for sores or redness, use Listerine on these.5. the seizures have me stumped, I've never seen a calf do that 30 minutes after it's been fed, so I think we have to go with hillsdown on this and treat with Naxel, Exenel, or Exede and add penicillin. 5. I get criticized on here (along with a lot of other stuff) for recommending dexamethasone. All medicines are a poison and we have to ask ourselves do the benefits out weigh the side effects? When I need immediate releif for a calf that is in serious trouble, I reach for the dex. In less serious cases banamiine is the choice. JMO In this case I would give dexamethasone 2/100 orally. 6. She needs additional fluids for the scours.

Larry

1. The "seizures" . If not resolved by the vitamin injections listed in the previous replies, could be related to the feeding. What are you feeding it? How much are you feeding it? What is the calfs temp? small amounts more times a day. consistant temp of milk. add 1-2 raw eggs to a bottle for extra protien for a couple of days. This could be a pain response.
2. Scours DO everything to stop them ASAP or you will go into a worse tail spin. Was the calf born on your farm? Did it come from an auction? If possible call a vet they can send a shot and a pill home with you.
3. NON Nursing This is the least of your worries. I have fought many a calf. If there is no infection in the calf keep fighting with a bottle. make sure nipple is giving milk easily and calf is in nursing position.

Latest posts