No colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
have a calf that did not get colostrum. Thought I saw my angus Prime Time calf nursing on one of my Durham Red heifers and went on my way. Next afternoon noticed that the calf never successfully latched on. Got cow caught and taught calf where it needed to go to get dinner. She kept chewing on the heifers hair where the leg joins the body. Anyways, she knows where to go now and is going to town. Question... is there anything you recommend? I know the time has passed to absorb the benefits of colostrum. Been skimming the internet and of course find all the importance of colostrum but nothing on management or what to do if colostrum absorption is inadequate or absent.

Santas and Duhram Reds":r2x6hem2 said:
have a calf that did not get colostrum. Thought I saw my angus Prime Time calf nursing on one of my Durham Red heifers and went on my way. Next afternoon noticed that the calf never successfully latched on. Got cow caught and taught calf where it needed to go to get dinner. She kept chewing on the heifers hair where the leg joins the body. Anyways, she knows where to go now and is going to town. Question... is there anything you recommend? I know the time has passed to absorb the benefits of colostrum. Been skimming the internet and of course find all the importance of colostrum but nothing on management or what to do if colostrum absorption is inadequate or absent.

Not much you can do after 24 hours has passed. If he's alive in 2 weeks you are probably OK.

Not having gotten colostrum isn't necessarily a death sentence. I've raised 2 that I know for sure didn't get any (1 from work the other here at home). The best advice I can give is just to keep an eye on the calf, make sure the pasture is as 'clean' as possible (not a big ol mud pit) and treat any illness (if any arises) at the first sign of trouble.

The 1st of the calves I raised ended up with a mild case of navel/joint ill (mild because I caught it before it turned into a major production) and had a bout with scours successfully treated with Terramycin and supportive care. She grew out well and as an adult you'ld never know she had had any issues as a calf.

The 2nd calf never showed any sign of illness at any time.

Both of these calves ended up as bottle-raised.

If your calf is ON the momma cow now, I think it may be okay. In my opinon mother's milk is best.

Good luck with it.

Katherine

Santas and Duhram Reds":38741x70 said:
avoiding the mud pit s almost impossible right now unless I separate the cow from the herd.

Sometimes mud is unavoidable.

I bought some scour tabs today 'cuz I figured that was a given.

With any luck you won't need them. But if you do, don't waste any time getting them into the calf, along with some electrolytes. As long as the calf continues to suck like it should and remain as active as any other calf its age it should be okay.

I'm surprised Larry Shoat hasn't chimed in on this thread, or Milkmaid or dun for that matter. They too have had experience with non-colostrum calves.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3n1fy4u0 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3n1fy4u0 said:
avoiding the mud pit s almost impossible right now unless I separate the cow from the herd.

Sometimes mud is unavoidable.

I bought some scour tabs today 'cuz I figured that was a given.

With any luck you won't need them. But if you do, don't waste any time getting them into the calf, along with some electrolytes. As long as the calf continues to suck like it should and remain as active as any other calf its age it should be okay.

I'm surprised Larry Shoat hasn't chimed in on this thread, or Milkmaid or dun for that matter. They too have had experience with non-colostrum calves.

Katherine

Well Katherine since you mention it I will. I think everything you've said has been right on the money. A calf not getting colostrum is not a death sentence.

As far as a product to boost the immune system in these calves, the only thing I know of is a product called Immunoboost. I've used on probably a thousand calves and I still can't tell you if it works or not. It's kind of expensive, I thought it helped, but my vet did some side by side trials and said it was "moon dust", just a term we use on a product that is all hype and no results, the calf feeding world is full of those.

Larry

Santas and Duhram Reds":7pe4hm5s said:
I guess I want some "moon dust". :lol:

Okay, howabout this, if you can get your hands on that calf---literally---lay your hands on the calf and chant "you will be healthy and live" 3 times in row and when done take a handful of loose salt, or minerals and toss them on the calf's back ---but do it in the dark ('moon' dust) :lol: :lol: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

As far as wanting something to make it easier to sleep, once you've found it, let me know where I can get some too. Tonight will be one of those nights. I can sit out there forever and worry myself to death. :oops:

Good luck, hopefully your calf will be fine.

Katherine

LOL. What Katherine said.
I understand your desire, Santa, but at this point, there's really nothing you can do that's not unreasonably expensive.

"If it will it will, if it won't it won't" -
I've raised a couple that didn't get colostrum - and had no problems. Better that it's on the cow and not a bottle baby, at least.

An injection of a Vitamin A supplement may be in order - colostrum has 10X the amount of vit A in milk(and he didn't get his), and studies I reviewed back in the '90s on anti-cryptosporidial drugs in immunosuppressed individuals(and rats) showed that supplemental Vitamin A was as effective or more so than many of the drugs that were trialed - presumably due to its effect of helping the immune system function better.

LLP

Lucky_P":2spcvtf5 said:
supplemental Vitamin A was as effective or more so than many of the drugs that were trialed - presumably due to its effect of helping the immune system function better.

Hmm, that's interesting and handy info to know. I will see about looking into anything more I can find on this.

Makes me think of a paste for foals made from bovine colostrum, selenium, Vit. A and a few other things.

Katherine

Kenny,
A Vit A injection was part of my own personal receiving protocol, back when I was raising lots of dairy calves - provides some indirect benefits by supporting immune system function. I'd probably still do it for any purchased stressed calf, but not necessarily for normal calves born on the place that nurse and get a good dose of colostrum.
Caveat: the injection will make 'em pretty sore for a couple of days, in my experience.

I have a 2 mo old heifer that didn't get any collusium, I've had a bout with navel ill, treated with Resflor gold, she got over it but she's the size of a 3 wk old. I bottle feed 2x's a day, she eats baby beef creep and grazes, good stools but she's just weak, doesn't play. I also have her on Maxi- B 1,000. Any help would be appreciated. C.Kama

Latest posts