NH 467 Mower Hydraulics

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
I bought the 467 conditioner I posted about before. My question is: it has a single acting hydraulic cylinder and when ever you lift the header all the way up it skirts some fluid out of the vent on the cylinder. I don't know much about single acting systems, could someonw enlighten me? Is this normal?

It sounds like some oil is leaking past the piston and when you lift it all the way it pushes it out.Take it apart and chech it out.

killingtime":1jfr026e said:
Shorty,

Could you elaborate a little more? I don't have alot of experience with hydraulic cylinders.
Like Shorty was saying, oil is pushing past the seals on the plunger and getting on the "wrong-side" of the piston. When you lift, the oil has to go somewhere in order for the cylinder to fully collapse. The oil goes out of the vent.

I haven't spent much time on here lately ,sorry it's been awhile since my last post , as novaman explained it , your seals on the piston are leaking a liitle, not enough to make the cylinder not lift but enough to leak to other side and when you let it down it pushes it out the vent , a single acting cylinder shouldn't have any oil on the top side . If you are able to take it apart yourself your should just need to get new rings at a hydralic shop and put them on , make sure to put oil on the new rings so you don't damage them when you put it back together. If you need to take it to a shop to have it done ,depending what it costs it maybe cheaper to get new cylinder from a place like tractor supply , I looked it up and they have a 3x8 for $109.95 and a 2.5x8 for $99.99 , these would double acting and you would need to put a vent in the top . Repair shops can get $60-$70/hr. and it don't take much to use up 1 hour or more on a seemingly simple job. If you can do it yourself it shouldn't cost too much.

Thanks for the help. I will look into it. I like to think I'm somwhat mechanically inclined, so I think I'll try to fix it myself. Thanks again.

Latest posts