News man says to limit time outside.

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
The News people were going on about the dangerous cold, and to limit your time outside.

So instead of spending 8 hours outside working, I only spent 7.

I guess that's what they meant, right?

My area of Ky wasn't even close to as bad as other parts of the country, but we had wind chills of -15. A lot of schools and colleges closed. Our governor said on radio that people were getting soft closing for temperatures.

herofan said:
My area of Ky wasn't even close to as bad as other parts of the country, but we had wind chills of -15. A lot of schools and colleges closed. Our governor said on radio that people were getting soft closing for temperatures.

That was my thoughts also. Do they just never go to school, or work in places where it never gets about 0 for 4+ months?

sim.-ang.king said:
herofan said:

That was my thoughts also. Do they just never go to school, or work in places where it never gets about 0 for 4+ months?

We have experienced periods of 0 temperatures the last 4 or 5 years here, but it doesn't usually last for many days at a time, and I can remember going for several years without 0 temperatures. Next week the forecast is calling for temps in the 60s. So, it's not something we are accustomed to here for long periods; it's not our norm.

I must say, it is rare that we ever close schools for temperatures, but we were getting warnings about how quickly frostbite can occur to exposed skin in that kind of weather. Many were concerned that not every student had the proper clothing for that kind of weather.

One university president was interviewed, and he said it wasn't about keeping students comfortable, but it was about keeping them safe. He realized these were extreme conditions and that a lot probably didn't have the proper clothing.

Needless to say, the comments by the governor weren't well received by many.

In years past, I don't think schools were so concerned about lawsuits. If one kid gets frostbite while waiting for the bus or walking to school and the parents decide it's the schools fault for having kids out in extreme weather...

I don't know if the heaters on school buses are better today. But when I was a kid, it was very cold on the bus whenever it was below 10 degrees. I couldn't imagine having my kids on the bus when the actual temp is -35.

When i was a young boy, 2nd grade maybe, we had a real bad winter storm set in. I walked to the bus stop like normal and waited for the bus; alone. After waiting for awhile, I figured I had missed the bus. Not wanting to get an azz whooping for missing the bus, I set about walking to the elementary school; it was snowing and blowing good by then. After walking for what seemed like forever, the elementary school finally appeared out of the white whirlwind. There were just a few cars parked out front. My prinicipal came rushing out to greet me, informed me school had been cancelled, took me into the main office and one of the secretaries made me a cup of hot cocoa. I was pretty cold by then. Principal looked up my info in the records and called my folks to come pick me up. He was stunned when he realized how far i had walked in the storm. I will always remember how warm and tasty that hot cocoa was.

I still got an azz whooping... for walking TO school. :bang:

Latest posts