Outside Tempture

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
If a 2.5 AC unit in a house operates at 25000 BTU does it have any affect on the temperature outside. It would seem to me it would the heat removed would have to go somewhere.

I would think so, but the further away from the unit say 20 feet I would think it wouldn't make much difference

Not really, for most of us anyway. All our A/c units are doing is putting the heat back where it came from. The areas immediately surrounding our homes, and that heat came from the big ball of fire in the sky.
((I say 'most of us' because some people have racks and racks of high wattage servers mining bitcoin)
Some of the world refers to watts as British Thermal units but they aren't exactly the same thing. BTUs are a unit of energy and watts is referring to the rate at which BTU is being moved or transferred.

The heat will exist if it's in your house or outside your house. Energy=Heat. Thermodynamics doesn't allow for heat to not travel from hotter to colder. So the heat outside is trying to penetrate into your house, while your AC is trying to move that heat out of your house. If you left your windows open, and AC off, your house would reach a point of equilibrium with the outside, no matter how much heat was being produced inside your house. Of course the time to reach equilibrium is dependent on the amount of heat being created, and also by the amount absorbed by the cooler of the two.

Today I went to Rawlins to haul off some stock panels, and it was nice there. Not to hot or not to cold. Got back home to Riverton and it was hot. It is currently 91 at about 7:20 mountain time. It probably won't rain until I get some hay down next week.

It's been 100 here the last few days. Supposed to be 104 by mid week. It's brutal out there with no cab cutting hay and not to mention it's ready to bale in 24hrs.

A bit of altitude helps. We are at 960 metres (3149') and lattitude 28.65 S. and are always a few degrees cooler in summer than surrounding towns. Low humidity as well helps.

Ken

A bit of altitude helps. We are at 960 metres (3149') and lattitude 28.65 S. and are always a few degrees cooler in summer than surrounding towns. Low humidity as well helps.

Ken
I'm 1200ft above sea level and even that is enough to make a few degrees difference. Occasionally we get caught in a weather system where we get caught in a trough between high and low pressure so humid and no wind, still in the mid 40⁰c (110f) just before sundown. Luckily not often.