newbie help-turning highland calfs loose on abandon pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

kid

Reaction score
We are finally buying our first ever cows. We are getting highlands. Our farm has not been used in about 5 years so the pasture is overgrown. We are buying several 8 month old calves. My question is, can they handle being turned loose on an overgrown pasture in a new strange place or would it be better to also buy an older cow (2-3 year old) to be with them?
I hope Im wording this right cause I really stink at trying to explain myself.

a 2-3 year old isnt going to do much good if she too is put into a new strange place. they are going to run around for a while when the get there, no matter what. my advice is to make sure the fences are strong, and clean it up some if you can.

I perfer to keep them in a barn, pen, or other small enclosure until they get used to being away from mama or familur surroundings. I have saw people turn grown cows out and never see them again. They will go through several fences if they wan't to bad enough. I don't know much about highland cattle but I suppose they are like the other major breeds ( black un's, red un's, and white un's ). Keep them interested in feed and they will begin to think - hey that weird looking thing walking on 2 legs that brings out that bucket and pours it in the trough is good, I think I'll stay here. ;-) good luck.

kid":28jiqm9c said:
We are finally buying our first ever cows. We are getting highlands. Our farm has not been used in about 5 years so the pasture is overgrown. We are buying several 8 month old calves. My question is, can they handle being turned loose on an overgrown pasture in a new strange place or would it be better to also buy an older cow (2-3 year old) to be with them?
I hope Im wording this right cause I really stink at trying to explain myself.

I wouldn't think you would need to buy an older cow, just keep the calves confined for a week or so in a pen with regular feedings til they get used to the new surroundings and figure out where the feed comes from and where it is found. Just remember that calves and yearlings are spooked easily and handle things accordingly. I've seen them stampede at the sound of a strange voice.

PS Depending on how overgrown the abandoned pasture is and how many weeds are present, you may want to consider mowing/brush-hogging to eliminate potential problems with pink-eye.

i would pen the calves in a small pasture or corral.feed them an get them used to you.while your bushhogging the big pasture.an checking the fences.since your new to cattle.you dont need tobe chasing new cattle if they get out.if you can keep from it.scott

but wouldnt the highlands be better off in a larger area with strong fences than a smaller confinement since they cant see where they are going?

bigbull338":ldh20ist said:
i would pen the calves in a small pasture or corral.feed them an get them used to you.while your bushhogging the big pasture.an checking the fences.since your new to cattle.you dont need tobe chasing new cattle if they get out.if you can keep from it.scott
NOt just NEW cattle..you dont ever need to be CHASING any cattle..unless youve got em headed toward a wing into some pens or your trying to get close enough to get a loop around em. Man dont usually win that race of chasing spooked cattle
I like to keep an old cow or two jsut to help fresh stocker calves get settled in. Got a couple of sure nuff dog fighters that will teach yong calves how to fight off canines of all kinds without running..all they need is a mature animal to show them to stand there ground. Also a mature cow that comes to cake will teach them how to eat and drink and when to come to you. I dont think Id buy one just for that though..unless she was a thin moneymaker

If you have good fence around the place, Turn em out... them Highlands will do a do a fine job of cleaning up your overgrown pastures! And if you teach em what a grain bucket is befor you do, you will never have a problem gathering them.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about highlands,I 'll help any way I can

Ok, well, no need to beat a dead horse over whether to pen them or let em go free, but I will say this.........I love my few highlands, as they are the closest thing to a goat I have in the bovine line, and they rarely come into the barn or come to the grain trough, even in the harshest weather. I just wish the prices around here were better is all. :cboy:

thats because they cant see the barn or grain trough or plants they are eating.