Baby calfs issues

Help Support CattleToday:

chelle1411

Reaction score
So now I have a couple calfs that I think are getting sick this ks weather is crazy and hard on the babies idk what they are coming down with I do know that one of the babies from the other pin the ones that still have moms just died he acted like he was having a hard time breathing and he had a cough mine are starting to cough idk I think I worry to much maybe

This roller coaster weather has been great for respiratory problems.
Do you have a way to take their temperature?
Sounds like it's time to call your vet and get an antibiotic.
Have they been vaccinated for BVD, IBR, PI3, BRSV, and Pasturella?

This roller coaster weather has been great for respiratory problems.
Do you have a way to take their temperature?
Sounds like it's time to call your vet and get an antibiotic.
Have they been vaccinated for BVD, IBR, PI3, BRSV, and Pasturella?
I do I'm not the biggest fan of doin it lol I've never done thos stuff before now I've always lived in town with normal household pets man this stuff is rough

I do I'm not the biggest fan of doin it lol I've never done thos stuff before now I've always lived in town with normal household pets man this stuff is rough
I don't think so on the vaccinations we are also in the process of weaning them from the bottles and I've read that we should be giving them vaccinations but whether that happens or not is out of my control because it's not my call I guess I'm just the one that is stuck worried about them taking care of them feeding them and cleaning up after them

I don't think so on the vaccinations we are also in the process of weaning them from the bottles and I've read that we should be giving them vaccinations but whether that happens or not is out of my control because it's not my call I guess I'm just the one that is stuck worried about them taking care of them feeding them and cleaning up after them
Bottle calves seem to be even more susceptible to health problems. There are lots of good threads on here about when and how to vaccinate them.

If you're concerned about them then it's time to ask whoever is in charge of making decisions about them ; Whether they have been vaccinated or not and what they think the next step is to better take care of these bottle calves.

So now I have a couple calfs that I think are getting sick this ks weather is crazy and hard on the babies idk what they are coming down with I do know that one of the babies from the other pin the ones that still have moms just died he acted like he was having a hard time breathing and he had a cough mine are starting to cough idk I think I worry to much maybe
Check temp

Sounds like the OP is a kid that is taking care of their parent's decisions. I don't do bottle calves so I'm not the one to give advice, but I'm hoping someone will step up with a full tutorial on the immediate problem... but also on when to wean a calf off the bottle and how, and info on vaccines, etc.

I agree @Travlr

My bottle calf thread has tons and tons of information over many pages. And lots of pictures as well. I know it takes time to read. But MOST issues have been covered along the way. That's one of the biggest reasons I made the thread and keep adding to it.

Fwiw, most of my bottle calves required nothing but milk and shelter. A regular feeding schedule. And slowly transitioned to grain/hay and then grass.

Very few required any meds/antibiotics.
And even fewer were ever vaccinated for anything at all!!

Latest posts