New water hole

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver":39ocniwz said:
MtnCows93":39ocniwz said:
Silver":39ocniwz said:
First you'd need to have an aquifer to drill into. We don't. If we did have an aquifer, it would cost over $10,000 to put one in including a pump for 200 feet of cased well. I think we used about 600 gallons of diesel fuel to dig this, so we are miles ahead in terms of cost.
ok that makes sence, where im from you can drill a 100' well and you got all the water youll ever need

That would would be wonderful, I can't imagine.

Looks good silver... I would just put fish in it though :lol: Yea same here about the 100' well

skyhightree1":3uknxmg4 said:
Silver":3uknxmg4 said:
MtnCows93":3uknxmg4 said:
ok that makes sence, where im from you can drill a 100' well and you got all the water youll ever need

Looks good silver... I would just put fish in it though :lol: Yea same here about the 100' well

One thing about the fish.... I'd want to wait until spring to see how much water is left after a winter of use. If the cows empty it over the winter then stocking fish becomes a bad idea.

Silver":2qsdbsxa said:
skyhightree1":2qsdbsxa said:
Silver":2qsdbsxa said:

One thing about the fish.... I'd want to wait until spring to see how much water is left after a winter of use. If the cows empty it over the winter then stocking fish becomes a bad idea.

Not really ... If you like sardines you will have a good supply and be able to catch them easily :lol:

Thought I'd take a little video of the trough in action this morning while it was -21C (about -6F

[youtube]https://youtu.be/eBQNKZ6ZbzI[/youtube]

Redgully":2p4wqt1x said:
Nice set up. Watching that makes me very happy i live in Australia, we rarely get below 0 degrees celcius.

Yes, but then I see what you get during your summers and it makes me very happy to be here ;-)

Silver":2crqzq5j said:
Redgully":2crqzq5j said:
Nice set up. Watching that makes me very happy i live in Australia, we rarely get below 0 degrees celcius.

Yes, but then I see what you get during your summers and it makes me very happy to be here ;-)

I would have to disagree if i lived closer to the beach but i don't so i will have to agree you have a good point!

Redgully":3ivtr91a said:
Silver":3ivtr91a said:
Redgully":3ivtr91a said:

I would have to disagree if i lived closer to the beach but i don't so i will have to agree you have a good point!

I have to admit to taking a little Goole Earth tour of Karragullen. I like to use this app to snoop around where people may be raising cattle. A lot of the fields appear to have rows of something growing. Vineyards or orchards or?

Google earth is an amazing tool. We were an orcharding area but not much left these days. Mainly pome and stonefruit. The area was settled by a lot of italians and they set their properties up just like they were still in Italy. All had their pigs and little smoke houses. Every property was equiped with wine and grappa producing outfits and most people had a cow or three for milk and cheese. As a kid i remember the feasts and all the old Italians singing and dancing. Sadly it is all disappearing now along with a chunk of the orchards. We used to have 45 acres of orchard all family run but only 5 acres left now. I'm not complaining as more room for my cows!

Latest posts