New water hole

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Just finished this today, hopefully it will hold enough water to winter the cows.
36782615_10214015353551941_2879360892875571200_n.jpg

Bright Raven":iq7we9uh said:
I think you are mining. Do you have a permit?

No permit, I'm sure if I need one someone will be along to tell me so :dunce:
Don't tell anyone I'm going to fill it by pumping out of the creek. That's top secret.

Silver":1da1qtkz said:
Bright Raven":1da1qtkz said:

Don't tell anyone I'm going to fill it by pumping out of the creek. That's top secret.

In Montana you have to have "Water Rights" to pump from a flowing stream. And it will not be the government who shows up at your door, it will be the party that owns those water rights.

Water rights only apply in a few states. For example, no one owns water rights in Kentucky. But in western states, water is owned just like surface rights.

Bright Raven":u2fe5nnj said:
Silver":u2fe5nnj said:
Bright Raven":u2fe5nnj said:

In Montana you have to have "Water Rights" to pump from a flowing stream. And it will not be the government who shows up at your door, it will be the party that owns those water rights.

Water rights only apply in a few states. For example, no one owns water rights in Kentucky. But in western states, water is owned just like surface rights.

We don't have that here yet, but it is in the works.

Them same people that want to holler about 'their' water are hard to find when that same water floods your place......

dugout........ we call that kind of pond a 'tank' here..
You have a great looking place Silver, albeit cold looking in that particular photo. nice cattle as well.

kenny thomas":2k83nvh2 said:
I'm assuming you pump from benieth the ice in the winter?

Yes, well actually I won't pump out of the pond, I'll trench a deep water line from the pond to the bottom of the 36" x 20' culvert that will be the base of my trough. The water level in the dugout will just equalize in the culvert. I will pump up from the culvert into the trough.

kenny thomas":2kwgk3tg said:
I love that idea. So the solar pump is only pumping a few ft? Great idea

Yes, it pumps straight up into the bowl, when they step away from the bowl the motion sensor shuts the pump off and the water falls back down into the well. It's just a bilge pump, draws about 8 amps at 24 volts.

Silver":nhukmoef said:
kenny thomas":nhukmoef said:
I'm assuming you pump from benieth the ice in the winter?

Yes, well actually I won't pump out of the pond, I'll trench a deep water line from the pond to the bottom of the 36" x 20' culvert that will be the base of my trough. The water level in the dugout will just equalize in the culvert. I will pump up from the culvert into the trough.

Thanks for the link. The powerpoint is pretty interesting. The whole system is genius

Got the trench dug today. About 120 feet of trench, 15 feet deep
2wdu8tf.jpg

And set the base for the trough
25h0p7b.jpg

Got it back filled too. Just want to add a bit more hose on the dugout side and attach float and weight to the line in case I want to get a hold of it one day. Should get parts tomorrow. Then I can start pumping water in, and set up the solar system.

Latest posts