new trailer... what do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I'm just looking at buying a new flatdeck trailer, primarily for hauling equipment and hay, but I might build stock racks for it

bumper pull
12,000 lb gvw
20 ft long
16" tires
ramps, but no under-deck ramp stowage (we have clearance problems around here)
no headboard in front (roll-stop, or whatever you call it)
LED lights

estimated price is 3900 canadian...
I think I can't justify buying a used trailer when I can get a new one for not much more, and then I don't have to worry about brakes, tires and electrical

Not sure 6000# axles are enough. Check on 7000#. If you get 8 round bales on, you will be over loaded. How much does the trailer weigh empty?
Bear

I wouldn't go below a 7000 lb axle and if I were buying I would buy a GN. It will pull better and sale better if you decide to get rid of it. If I got a GN I would do 10k or 14k axles.

Besides the axle rating I would look at the tires. Some places use P metrics rather then trailer tires. With a marginally heavy load the Ps have a tendency to squirm a lot more then trailer tires do.

Gooseneck if at all possible. I borrowed a buddy's trailer to pick up my outdoor boiler about 15 years ago, it was a low profile car trailer bumper pull. 'Bout beat the wife and I to death!! Went back and picked up a load of lumber later in the month of that year with our 26' GN, boy were we happy with our trailer. The ride was 100% better. Also keeps the wannabes from borrowing as they aren't set up for GN trailers.

I personally prefer a bumper pull over a gooseneck unless you have a truck dedicated to the trailer because I usually have quite a few items in my truck bed and it's a pain having to move everything around every time I hook up. Don't get me wrong a gooseneck certainly has its benefits but unless your hauling long and heavy and not hooking and uunhooking frequently i don't think they're worth the extra money. As for axles I like Dexter personally and the 7000# with 8 lug hubs are pretty rugged. Sure you could go heavier but for an all around trailer without spending a fortune you can't go wrong.

That's the one that I have on my truck now. Works slick as snot

Having spent a lot of time hauling stock, hay etc in the UK with a very good bumper pull trailer to then use a GN trailer there is no comparison. The GN is just so much better, and safer.

Go with anew GN, at least 10k axles, you can handle more with that, personally I use a BW GN/ 5th wheel hitch, more versatel in my opinion, reese does not seam to be as good as BW, a lot of application with the BW, haylift ect.

Well, I considered gooseneck, but it's not worth it for us... this will have 6,000 lb axles, LED lights, 16' 8lug rims, 20' deck, spare tire, ramps (no stowage, I'd be dragging it too often). the trailer empty will weigh 2100 lbs, which means I can load 5T on it excluding tongue weight. around here you need a different drivers liscense for trailers over 10,000 lbs, which I don't have and don't feel like getting (yet). I considered a goooseneck 24ft 24,000 lb trailer, but they're close to $12000, they're heavy as hell even empty, I was towing a 5ton truck on a bumper pull 24000 lb trailer and had no complaints about how it handled, though a D3 cat (8ton) was a bit much... with the 5 ton on the trailer I was able to hold 80 kph (50 mph) on a 10% grade.

I decided to go with a light, cheap and convenient trailer that'll do what I need.. my total bill excluding tax is $4000

Trailers must have really gone up I'm price lately .. I bought a 24 ft goose neck lowboy with 2 7k lb axels for 3500 new about 3 years ago gross vehicle weight is 14k

3waycross":w7p86gva said:
dun":w7p86gva said:
That's the one that I have on my truck now. Works slick as snot

Me too and I like it a lot.
Only problem I had was the ball was down when I hauled a load of walnuts to the huller and some of the hull got wedged/stuck/nastied down in the hole. Had to get a piece of wire to fish the ball out.

Well, I got my trailer today, looks pretty good, tows nice, at least empty, they upgraded the tires to radials for free, which is nice, the dealer hadn't imported that size a trailer until now, he liked it too

Crappy cell phone pic, but you get the point..
Photo0005.jpg

with a twinned 6" frame it really looks beefy... I'll see what it does when it's got 100 heavy bales on it... it shouldn't even feel it

Latest posts