new tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
Am thinking about buying a new tractor, I don't need a big one probably only big enough to lift a few round bales and moving a little dirt. What do you guys recommend as far as horsepower and brand as well as warranty.

Looked at some john Deere about 32 horses and really liked them but wanted to get your opinions. I also looked at some mahindras and a few cheaper models. What would you guys get? I know this will turn into a Ford / Chevy debate lol.

Depending on the weight of the bales, I wouldn't go below 50 hp. If you are looking at new or a fairly new used tractor you should ve able to find the working capacity for the hudraulics. You also need to consider the weight.width of the tractor for stability.

There are a lot of older threads discussing that. Might look at some of them.

You may already know these places.

For used tractors -
http://www.tractorhouse.com/

For info on tractors -
http://www.tractordata.com/

Both great sites...

Let us know what you decide...

My brother just bought a new Kubota M7040 - He loves it - He uses it exactly for what you said. He got the FEL, hay spears (F&B) and a small shredder plus the tractor for $38K

If your buying new im with Dun a little more HP in 04 I was looking at a compact 38 HP but when I went to actually look wound up with a 65 HP it was 4000 more. I can do so much more with that tractor than I ever could with the 38HP.

Always depends on the application. You mentioned moving hay bales. I have a tractor about that size here. Land is steep and super wet. With a bale on front and back that tractor can get scary in those conditions. I usually feed with a K 7040. The mud here is a foot deep in places. Front wheel assist is a must. Think you'd be happier with a larger rig. Good luck.
fitz

I would make sure you got plenty power to lift any of your round bales. Like dun said, at least 50 hp. I know, years ago, I used to lift some with a 35 horse MF, but it was a struggle many times. I did it because it was all I had at the time.

i had a 2010 mx5100 hst 4x4 rops fel bought new that worked great lifting lite 5 by 6 an 4 by 6 bales.but when we started baling our own 5 by 6 hay again it was to small to lift those heavy bales an pull the hay trailer.so i traded it for a 2013 7040SU 4x4 rops with fel to haul an feed hay.so a 7040 is as small of a tractor that id buy.

Agree with dun and others, you need at least a 50hp tractor to deal with round bales, unless the bales are very light/small. Especially in mud/snow.

So far even with a few bugs along the way I like my new Kubota M126GX. More tractor than you want or need but if I was looking for a smaller tractor, I would still consider a Kubota.

My neighbor recently bought same tractor to upgrade from his old 4020 so I guess imitation is sincerest form of flattery. :oops:

I use Kubota on Hesston 856A round baler, JD 6' rotary mower, and 16'x33' Lahman stackmover hauling 15 bales. Kubota doesn't have the weight or hp (105) of my old MF (160) but handles the stackmover better than I expected.

Got a new 8' Red Devil to go wth the tractor last summer but haven't tried it out yet.

32 hp is a nice yard tractor.
A little tractor can't do what a larger tractor can do.
But a larger tractor can do anything that a little tractor can do.

You will be regretting that you settled for less horsepower if you don't get something big enough to do the job. If you are wanting it for cattle, you will probably resell it and buy something else. If you buy a cheaper made tractor to save money in this first buy, you will most likely lose money.

I agree with 50+ on the horses. Kubota or John Deere are the best out there. If you plan on digging much at all MFWD is a must. Good luck.

Thanks guys a big help. I do plan on a 4 wd tractor and most likely a jd or kubota. IHow are the warranties on them brand new? I live in the mountains of VA and almost all land around here is nowhere close to level.

Chuckie":139q2ujs said:
32 hp is a nice yard tractor.
A little tractor can't do what a larger tractor can do.
But a larger tractor can do anything that a little tractor can do.

You will be regretting that you settled for less horsepower if you don't get something big enough to do the job. If you are wanting it for cattle, you will probably resell it and buy something else. If you buy a cheaper made tractor to save money in this first buy, you will most likely lose money.

My business tractor I bought is a LANDTRAC 280 that thing is 30 hp and trying to dig on a job is pointless and I have used it to pick up a bale in the front and back and I was worried the tractor would break in half I agree with dun 50+

I agree that 45+hp would be good, but if you want to stay in the 35hp range I would go with a Kubota, and a shuttle shift gear transmission not a hydro.

trappersteve":ee2rstz4 said:
Thanks guys a big help. I do plan on a 4 wd tractor and most likely a jd or kubota. IHow are the warranties on them brand new? I live in the mountains of VA and almost all land around here is nowhere close to level.
The facotry warranties are goodm the main difference comes into how the dealer addresses the problems. Find the dealer with the best reputation and go with that. I tried to tell a friend of mine years ago(Ford dealer) that he was putting too much empasis in having a lot of salesmen and not enough on the service. He never could get it through his thick skull (maybe he did after he lost the dealership) that the salesman sells the first truck (or tractor/baler/whatever) but it's the guys in the back in service that sell the subsequent ones.

My answer to this question is always this...

My Dad and I started with an 8N and kept trading for a larger tractor every so often UNTIL we got to a 65 PTO tractor. We've had three 65 HP tractors since (Massey/Case/Farmtrac). At that point you have a tractor that can do anything that needs to be done, just not as fast as somebody with a larger tractor.

Until you get to a tractor that size, you'll probably always be wishing for a bigger tractor on some days. Still, if budget is an issue buy as much tractor as you can. Just understand that the bug to go bigger will probably keep biting at you...

I bought a Mahindra 4025 with a FEL for feeding my cattle. My rolls are around 800 to 900 pd and it does the job with no problem. The warranty is great and the price wasn't bad either. I did get the 4 wheel drive.

I bought a new Kubota MX5000, 4x2, FEL and Bush hog in 2004. I have 800 hrs. on it now and my only gripe is the factory tool box is to small. I've worked it hard but kept it serviced. If I were to buy another Tractor it would be another Kubota or JD 50 horse 4x4.

OklaBrangusBreeder":32ktlem4 said:
My answer to this question is always this...

My Dad and I started with an 8N and kept trading for a larger tractor every so often UNTIL we got to a 65 PTO tractor. We've had three 65 HP tractors since (Massey/Case/Farmtrac). At that point you have a tractor that can do anything that needs to be done, just not as fast as somebody with a larger tractor.
Until you get to a tractor that size, you'll probably always be wishing for a bigger tractor on some days. Still, if budget is an issue buy as much tractor as you can. Just understand that the bug to go bigger will probably keep biting at you...

In the late 70's my father in law bought 2 new Ford 3600's and we all ask why he wanted something that big. I was growing tobacco and had a few cows and had a Ford 2000 gas and done it all with it. Later I bought a Ford 3610, then a Ford 4630 4x4 with loader, then a New Holland 3930, then a Kubota 8540, and then a Kubota M100X 4x4. Also got a couple of pulling tractors. I just keep buying a bigger tractor each time but really feel that for most jobs on a small to medium size farm a 55-65 hp with 4x4 will do almost any of the jobs that need done.

Latest posts