New Tractor at Shop again...

Help Support CattleToday:

jwimberly

Reaction score
So how many trips to the dealer should a new tractor take before you demand a different tractor? I have a tractor with 70 hours on the meter and is about to make its second trip to the dealer for not starting. 1st time the forward/reverse shifter locked up, the gauges wouldn't turn on, and it wouldn't start. They said it was a bad linkage on the shifter and a loose ground. This time it sounds like the starter has sheared and is just whining. Both failures in the same hay season hurts and makes me lose my confidence in this machine. Manufacturer is one of the big name brands. What would you or have you done in a similar situation?

'Buddy has mostly new equipment and has just as many breakdowns as my vintage stuff. Difference seems to be the dealer gets him going sooner than me and a shade tree mechanic. How good is your service?

Service has actually been decent. They understand it's hay season and got me first in line last time. I'm just disappointed a new tractor is already making 2 trips to the dealer.

Sometimes you get the problems out early and then you have a good tractor for many hours. I hope for your sake that is the case. If you were having problems with emission systems I would be more worried as that is a "when" and not an "if" ,but hopefully down the road a few hours.

Well an update, 9 days later and I still have a broke tractor. I sent dealer an email and copied the manufacturer customer service email and that seems to liven them up a bit. However, the dealer called today and tried to balk at coming to the farm to pick it up and tried to leave me with a wrecker bill on it. Looks like we've worked passed that as long as I come pick it up after its fixed. I'm pretty disappointed so far.

jwimberly said:
Well an update, 9 days later and I still have a broke tractor. I sent dealer an email and copied the manufacturer customer service email and that seems to liven them up a bit. However, the dealer called today and tried to balk at coming to the farm to pick it up and tried to leave me with a wrecker bill on it. Looks like we've worked passed that as long as I come pick it up after its fixed. I'm pretty disappointed so far.

If it's warranty work the trip to and from the dealer ought to be covered.. it would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth too.. Either that or they send a mechanic to fix it on site.

jwimberly said:

Have they come out with a service truck? I'd be pretty furious with the dealer after 9 days with an immobile tractor and they haven't showed up.
We bought a new tractor a month ago, I spoke with service department the other day about how I'm finding a loader cable is sticking a bit. They sent a tech out yesterday afternoon (dealer is 3 hrs away), tore the faulty cable out then realized he had the wrong replacement one, he was back in the yard before 8 this morning.
It's not uncommon to have some problems with new tractors or equipment, what's more important than that is how well the dealer assists you.

They came and picked it up yesterday and replaced the starter and called to tell me it was ready. They said the starter housing cracked and busted somehow? It has been hard to turn over since I got it. I'll pick it up Monday and check it out.

I'm sorry, but the money anyone has to pay for a new tractor (ANY make, model) would make me furious. Guess my French temper would be showing. Not so much that it broke, but not to get immediate service would make me boil.

jwimberly said:
They came and picked it up yesterday and replaced the starter and called to tell me it was ready. They said the starter housing cracked and busted somehow? It has been hard to turn over since I got it. I'll pick it up Monday and check it out.

Strange thing to have break! Hope it's fixed now.

klm3030 said:
By not naming the manufacture you are part of the problem.
Heck I don't care about naming the manufacture. It's CNH, I just thought it'd be against the rules or something.

We have several different makes of tractors on our farm. Here in my opinion one stands well above in service and parts dept. but that is pretty much on the dealer.

My last 2 tractors were new Bransons after I shopped all the popular local colors (except orange). One is a 2007 the other 2016 and neither has been been back to the dealer for anything nor required anything I can't pick up on the www. One of the determining factors in brand selection was in thinking about if I had a problem and needed to take it in, how long would it take to get it back? So I went to the service bays and looked around and looked in the "to be repaired lot" and added those answers to my choice. Course you could say that high volume dealers will have lots of flow through. Ok fine.

Want me to take it in there for you?! 🤬😡 I'd show them what a "Shell fit" is. 😤 in a very nice lady like way I'd tell them that's bull crap. The entire tractor is bullcrap I'm about to throw it in my creek. 😅🤣😂😝 Fix it right or give you a new one. Give them the look. 👀 you mean business look. 😅🤣😂🙃😉

For real we bought a tractor they sold it to us as a year newer. When we went to sell it we found out it wasn't under warranty, nor the year they said. 😡🤬 this is a true story. They bought it back for the same price we paid for it 2 years later. 😊 serious you have to watch people.

Latest posts