new to the business

Help Support CattleToday:

circleKranch

Reaction score
I recently came into the cattle business through family. I have "inherited" a 75 head herd of polled hereford. I have a decent general knowledge of the farm business and want to learn more about these cattle and the business. Can anyone offer some ideas, websites, reference material that I can look at or read to understand this better. I have always wanted to be involved in the business, I guess nows my chance.

Thanks for your help!!

Welcome,
Tips:
1- Fencing, Shelter, ect. get your place up to par if it ante already
2- Make sure your herd is healthy and keep them healthy
3- Have a Herd plan ( sit down and write some notes on where you want your operation to be in say 1 yr then 5 yr type thing)
4- stay on course with your plan
5- Read, read, read, and read some more on here, other sites, & books just keep learning
6- Ask questions on anything your having trouble with (search topis first then ask)
7- work hard and dont give up

Herefords
-Great breed sufficent on any kind of pasture
- Great Crosses
Angus-Black Baldies (Black animals white face)
Charolais - Buckskin ( Yellowish animal with white face)
- Become a member of the Hereford association, and or State breed assoication

I know I missing more so other add to the tips

well, congratulations.. I think. ha.
So did you inherit the land that goes with them as well? 75 head is a fairly big start, but its a good breed you did get.

my tip: practice focused, intent observation when you
look at your cattle. If you get in too much of a hurry,
or have other things on your mind, you will miss catching
a problem with an animal early when it can be easily
handled.

Welcome to the cattle world! Did you inherit a vet too? The most important asset (especially being new) to your cattle operation will be a good vet. Find one and pick his/her brain. They can help you with herd health and nutrition and in case of problems. Listen to your vet and learn from them. When the vet comes out for something, ask lots of questions. Most are more than happy to teach you.
Know your cattle. Find out the personalities of each animal. Knowing your cows will help you manage them and can also save your life.
Get in touch with your local govt. agriculture program. They usually have a ton of resources about caring for cattle. Some even offer pretty comprehensive courses.
Storeys Guide to Raising Beef Cattle is a pretty good book. There are others but they are longer and harder to retain. Storey's is short and simple but offers a fair amount of knowledge.
Keep detailed records on your cattle - calves, health issues, disposition, anything relating to each cow. You will be amazed how often you turn to your records. There'e a lot of things that you will think you will remember but after calving sometimes it is all a blur. :lol:
Keep a sense of humour. The days are long and the cattle can try your patience. You need to be able to do two things, laugh and pray. If you can do those you will be fine.

circleKranch":2d3shwzc said:
I recently came into the cattle business through family. I have "inherited" a 75 head herd of polled hereford. I have a decent general knowledge of the farm business and want to learn more about these cattle and the business. Can anyone offer some ideas, websites, reference material that I can look at or read to understand this better. I have always wanted to be involved in the business, I guess nows my chance.

Thanks for your help!!
since you inherited 75 polled herefords.im assuming that the place is in pretty good shape.are the reg polled herefords.how meny are cows.have you got hay for the winter.welcome to cattle today.

circleKranch,

Know this!
Cattle are an accident looking for a place to happen so "INCORPORATE" before they get out on a road and kill someone and some slick blood sucking Filthydelphia lawyer not only takes your inheritance but also everything else you have worked hard to accumulate.
Best of luck
SL

Take it slow and easy. Ignore most of the advice you hear or you will get your brain so befuddled you will not know what you are doing.
Depend on yourself and your ideas. Not some outside 'voice of authority'.

Extension people in your state should have a wealth of information.

Thanks for all the great tips so far. It has been a lot of work so far but I am enjoying it. I already have 150 4' round bales put up, with a cut coming in September. I should end up with around 300-325 for the winter. I have aquired the help of an uncle who is going to help me take the bull calves to the market in two weeks, that will be a fun learning experience.

I have ben told that I need to build an oiler, I guess something that keeps the flies down. Any ideas???

The pasture land that I have is 145 acres and I have 2 spring fed ponds there. One is about an acre and the other around 3 acres. They have a lot of algae on them and they dont seem very deep. The heifers stand about shoulder deep right in the center. Any tips on getting rid of algae. I have heard of a grass carp that will eat the algae????

Once again, thanks for all the tips.

Grass carp won;t eat algae. Copper sulfate will or there are commercial chemicals that will. Even if you should drain the pond and clean it out, it weill still grow algae because of the nutrient load in the soil of the pond. As long as you have cows doing what cows do in the water you will get it.