New to range cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
I bought three tons of the 20% range cubes made by purina to feed to some heifers, I was under the impression that it was more energy, protein, etc. for them. Will feed at 2lb.per head per day cause excessive weight gain? Thanks everyone.

Probably not. Just monitor cattle daily/weekly and watch their condition. Also lot depends on other forage/hay they're getting. If it looks like they are getting too plump, cut back or discontinue cubes except for training, working management purposes.

Also depends on if they're cows carrying or have a calf at side, bulls or heifers ready to breed, etc., etc.

Well the reason I got the cubes was to try on our bred cattle this winter, used some a few weeks ago when it got dry. I have had problems in the past with 'em getting to fat so I wanted to try something that would still give them the energy but, not make them over fat, thus cubes were recommended. As far as hay goes most of our is Alfalfa, green and leafy, some grass we feed early on in the winter.

Herefordcross - If you don't mind me asking, what does a ton of cubes cost in your area?

20% Purina Breeder cubes= $240 a ton. Very high compared to other places but, a lot of shipping on them. Still will be cheaper than our normal winter feeding.

Latest posts