New to cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

PatchyFarms

Reaction score
Hello! Like it says I'm pretty new to cattle. I did actually work on a farm that had highlanders and angus. It was fun but the owner... not so much. (I raised concerns, she ignored them) I do know a bit of what bad can happen , also know a few basics of feed , care. Pretty much just hoping to brush on what I do know , maybe learn some new things that weren't around when I worked the farm.

As far as our farm goes, I'm still researching breeds. We are currently working away some debt and hope to actually close on a nice property next year. Crossing our fingers on some livestock but one of the purchases is going to be a trio of our own cattle (mainly for meat)still discussing whether breeding will happen , age etc to start.

But I'm excited and look forward to researching what will work.

Welcome to the forum. What are part of the world are you? That can make a big difference on any advice or suggestions (I wouldn't recommend Highland cattle to someone in southeast Texas, or Brahmans in Canada).
SE Iowa. We are actually about 3-4miles from the Mississippi, middle of nowhere. It's nice for most part. We get the odd cow or hog that gets loose.
Breeds I'd looked into where Lowlines, dexter , hereford , so more so mini/smaller sized cattle. I thought about jerseys or holsteins but we are main purpose for um is meat not dairy,(not against dairy crosses though. ) we planned on having a small mix of dairy/meat breed goats but I think my partner is wanting to scrap that idea in favor of more cattle. I guess we will see

Welcome, sounds like you are having fun sorting out what you are going to go with. If you are going to eat them yourself there are people on here that speak highly of the eating experience from Jersey crossed with a good beef breed like Angus.

Ken

Hello! Like it says I'm pretty new to cattle. I did actually work on a farm that had highlanders and angus. It was fun but the owner... not so much. (I raised concerns, she ignored them) I do know a bit of what bad can happen , also know a few basics of feed , care. Pretty much just hoping to brush on what I do know , maybe learn some new things that weren't around when I worked the farm.

As far as our farm goes, I'm still researching breeds. We are currently working away some debt and hope to actually close on a nice property next year. Crossing our fingers on some livestock but one of the purchases is going to be a trio of our own cattle (mainly for meat)still discussing whether breeding will happen , age etc to start.

But I'm excited and look forward to researching what will work.
Welcome. There is a lot of knowledge on this Board and lots of people that are willing to help.

I have a question. Can you define "trio" of your own cattle? If you are talking two cows and a bull, you might be better served by using AI than the annual cost and upkeep of a bull. Just my two cents.

Welcome. There is a lot of knowledge on this Board and lots of people that are willing to help.

I have a question. Can you define "trio" of your own cattle? If you are talking two cows and a bull, you might be better served by using AI than the annual cost and upkeep of a bull. Just my two cents.
I haven't actually decided. We know theres going to be 3, but it's a debate between 3 steers, 2 steers/1heifer, 2 heifers /1 steer. prob 1st time buying will be 3 steers

Welcome, sounds like you are having fun sorting out what you are going to go with. If you are going to eat them yourself there are people on here that speak highly of the eating experience from Jersey crossed with a good beef breed like Angus.

Ken
I'll look into that cross ! Angus just happens to be a easy breed to get here along with holsteins, jerseys oddly pandas as well

Latest posts