New to cattle... Need some pointers..

Help Support CattleToday:

Sniper338

Reaction score
I have land and its all set up on a silver platter for me to get cattle to raise and sell... i want to start off small... 6-15 head... ive been around it all my life... Im not a total newbie... what im looking for is where to start and info on how to figure out/research what breed/s i need to go with... im looking to do more of a meat cow to sell at the auction by pound... my first guess is angus cows and hereford bull... (and my sale barn confirmed that cross is saleing REALLY WELL) but where would i find info to help make a good decision?

Im looking to raise em, then drop em off at the auction to sell.... butcher one for meat here and there...

My land is all located in Texas, Guadelupe county to be exact...

Since you said you're planning to sell your calves at the auction barn, then talking to them, as you've done, is a good idea. I agree with the Hereford bull, but I'd recommend black Brangus cows instead of Angus. They will do better in the heat, and probably raise heavier calves, although Angus breeders may disagree with me.

Rafter S":2wtl7rxo said:
Since you said you're planning to sell your calves at the auction barn, then talking to them, as you've done, is a good idea. I agree with the Hereford bull, but I'd recommend black Brangus cows instead of Angus. They will do better in the heat, and probably raise heavier calves, although Angus breeders may disagree with me.

I agree. Cattlerange.com is a good place to start looking, for cattle, and to get a feel for the market. Most of the people that buy/sell there are real cattle people, as opposed to Craigslist. I would also add that if you do go with a Hereford bull, go polled so you don't have to mess with horns.

My advice is to put up good fences and some type of working area, then go buy your cattle. They are easier to deal with if you can keep them home.

ricebeltrancher":x66e68av said:
Rafter S":x66e68av said:

I agree. Cattlerange.com is a good place to start looking, for cattle, and to get a feel for the market. Most of the people that buy/sell there are real cattle people, as opposed to Craigslist. I would also add that if you do go with a Hereford bull, go polled so you don't have to mess with horns.

I agree with bpth these guys. Also by buying from a seller on cattle range you get to go to the farm and look at them under conditions similar to what you will have them in. Cull anything wild or aggressive.

Red is the most naturally heat tolerant color and brahman cattle also have good heat tolerance. So red cows with a little ear should handle your heat and humidity better than black cows. If I were starting a herd of cows in your area, would buy red brangus, gert or red beefmaster cows and breed to charolais bulls. That cross will get your tan, yellow or buckskin calves that will sell every bit as well a black calves and will likely wean 25-50 lb more than angus sired calves. Calves will have so little (3/16) ear that buyers will hardly notice. Due to the calves color, will be little doubt they are charX and most buyers have good orders for that kind of calf because they have the reputation of excellent feedlot performance.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ricebeltrancher":2otzpekq said:
Rafter S":2otzpekq said:

I'm using a horned Hereford bull on Brangus cows, and I haven't had any horned calves. I'm not saying I won't, but I haven't yet.

slick4591":75ne1ozt said:
My advice is to put up good fences and some type of working area, then go buy your cattle. They are easier to deal with if you can keep them home.

You didnt read my post... its all ready to go.

Sniper338":3bdk91qu said:
slick4591":3bdk91qu said:

I did. Just don't know what your definition of "silver platter" means to you. Good luck to you.

slick4591":2szk8lt0 said:
Sniper338":2szk8lt0 said:
slick4591":2szk8lt0 said:

I did. Just don't know what your definition of "silver platter" means to you. Good luck to you.

Im gonna need some luck... luck to start out being able to afford anything. 3k a bred heifer, 3k a cow calf pair... im looking at 3k any way i turn. I used to buy calves for $40 when i was younger!!!!

[/quote]

Im gonna need some luck... luck to start out being able to afford anything. 3k a bred heifer, 3k a cow calf pair... im looking at 3k any way i turn. I used to buy calves for $40 when i was younger!!!![/quote][/quote]

That silver platter could end up being a huge turd in your bank account or future :)

Im gonna need some luck... luck to start out being able to afford anything. 3k a bred heifer, 3k a cow calf pair... im looking at 3k any way i turn. I used to buy calves for $40 when i was younger!!!![/quote][/quote]

That silver platter could end up being a huge turd in your bank account or future :)[/quote]

yeah itd make for some hella expensive hamburger meat lol. Its all a gamble in the end.. thats how i see it...

Don't start with those high dollar ones, start with the kind PaPaw is buying. In the past year I've bought over 160 of that kind and they have done well. We start shipping next Saturday on them.
If you haven't been on the boards long I'm talking about second chance cattle. They ain't "purdy" but they can turn more money than anything else in the cattle business.

They ain't "purdy" but they can turn more money than anything else in the cattle business.
My ugliest cow weaned a $1200 calf last year.

I do not mind a few second chance cows. I like them to calve in the spring rather than raise a calf through the winter. Not sure I would suggest just anyone to buy many second chance cows. They may end up with last chance cows and not fair as well.
I know a man who buys wet bag cows, those pulled down some by leaving the calf on too long. He gets them on good pasture or hay and watches them put on weight with the calf off her. Some are already bred back, some need more condition before accepting a bull. Either way he makes good money.
More 8 year old wet bag cows needing a little TLC are sold to grind than we probably realize.

I'm a big fan of starting with older cows who know what they are doing and who might know more than you. It's how I started and, I believe, it saved me a small fortune.

Learn on cheap cows.

If you can find someone with a good reputation and a desire to sell some 7-13 year old heavy bred cows at a good price, get 'em. Especially if he runs them as hard or harder than you're planning.

I would use F1 tigers or Beefmaster with a Char bull. You might go to the sale barn and pick up some old heavy bred cows or old cows with a heifer calf and raise the heifers for replacements if you want to go cheaper.

Latest posts