New tax deadline

Help Support CattleToday:

Welllll, my new tax deadline is 'cause I filed an extenstion... :)

Alice

Well, I know the answer but I file taxes for small businesses and their owners, so I guess that would be cheating. ;-) If nobody gets in, then I'll chime in.

It is a silly reason, but I'm glad for it ... you wouldn't believe the number of clients that wait until the absolute last minute!

I heard it this morning - kinda stupid in my opinion. Why didn't they just declare a legal holiday for all of us.

I'm pretty sure I know, but my questions are - is this a new DC holiday or has it been around for years? And if it has been around for years then why did they start letting it effect the whole country just now? And if it is a new holiday in DC doesn't Congress make the laws for DC?

Cuz

Well that is how it was supposed to be BUT the rev. al sharpton realized that Monday April 16th was emancipation day so had Congress draft an authorization to move the deadline to the 17th because he said that they, we whoever 'shouldn't have to pay their tax burden on such a momentous day'. It is my understanding that this little thing has cost us the tax payers a couple million dollars to change paperwork, advertising, etc.

Horticattleman":k7q3chmb said:
Well that is how it was supposed to be BUT the rev. al sharpton realized that Monday April 16th was emancipation day so had Congress draft an authorization to move the deadline to the 17th because he said that they, we whoever 'shouldn't have to pay their tax burden on such a momentous day'. It is my understanding that this little thing has cost us the tax payers a couple million dollars to change paperwork, advertising, etc.

Lovely :???:

Horticattleman":3w4gp3sb said:

Well, what your accountant said wasn't quite accurate. Yes, Al Sharpton pushed for Emancipation Day to be a legal holiday and it was recently enacted in Washington D.C. But, there is a Federal statute that's been around for 20 some-odd years that says if there is a holiday in D.C., it affects things nationwide, not just in D.C. Since the 15th fell on a Sunday this year, and by law, filing and payment deadlines would be pushed to the next business day, all the forms were printed to read a deadline of April 16th. But then the IRS realized that Emancipation Day fell on the 16th this year, so they changed the deadline according to the Federal statute.

No additional money was spent to reprint the forms (not sure about advertising). In fact, the IRS posted a notice on their website specifically stating they would not be re-printing any already printed materials.

In actuality, this isn't the first time this has happened - only the first time it's happened nationwide. Six eastern states served by the IRS processing facility in Massachusetts already had an April 17 filing date this year because in Massachusetts Patriots Day was observed on April 16 and they consider that a holiday.

And now you know, as they say, the rest of the story. :D

CUZ":338c67qk said:
I'm pretty sure I know, but my questions are - is this a new DC holiday or has it been around for years?

They enacted it as a city holiday in D.C. last year.

The original Emancipation Day (also called Juneteenth because it's celebrated on June 19th) is an annual holiday in fourteen states. It was supposed to commemorate the abolition of slavery in Texas (why just Texas, I have no idea). But, since April 16th was the actual day that the Emancipation Proclamation was signed, that's the day they now celebrate it in D.C.

Yes, I'm a wealth of useless information.

Oh, and it wasn't Al Sharpton that pushed for it to be enacted. It was an 80-year-old woman.

http://www.newhouse.com/emancipation-da ... ators.html

And I was wrong the date of the Emancipation Proclamation. Apparantly, there was a separate proclamation issued on April 16th, 1862 freeing the slaves in those portions of the Confederacy not under Union control. That's the date they are celebrating. My bust.

USMCRanchGirl":qrl2kqqx said:
Oh, and it wasn't Al Sharpton that pushed for it to be enacted. It was an 80-year-old woman.

http://www.newhouse.com/emancipation-da ... ators.html

And I was wrong the date of the Emancipation Proclamation. Apparantly, there was a separate proclamation issued on April 16th, 1862 freeing the slaves in those portions of the Confederacy not under Union control. That's the date they are celebrating. My bust.

That's ok...I've been wrong about Juneteenth...I thought it was June 13th...

Alice

Well, here's another piece of useless trivia for you then.....

In NY, certain areas are extended even further (to the 19th) due to the recent flooding.

Latest posts