New Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent":3kgp9iwa said:
inyati13":3kgp9iwa said:
Dun, my auto catch is just like yours. Let me ask you one question: Do you wish they made one more hole on the slide at the top to set it wider? I do. Some of my cows stop at the gate because the opening looks too small or at least that is what I think they think!
I made another hole in the auto catch on my preifert and it works good for the larger cows and bulls. With the third hole some of the cows heads were to big so the extra hole fixed that. I filed and oiled all the catch points to make them work smooth and slick. Also having it under roof prevents it from rusting an not working properly. I catch my cows by myself and it works good, but a hot stick helps as some of the old cows want to take their time going in. :lol2: The only thing I wish the Priefert had that I have seen on some is a thick heavy duty rubber mate on the floor, as I have had some once in the head gate fall from not having good non slick footing.

sh8k.jpg

v32e.jpg

I have thought about covering mine. It is outside and bedded on conveyor belt. I wish they had better footing too. I get a lot of slipping and sliding even with the cross bars. You could put a heavy rubber mat down but it would sure catch a lot of manure and waste. You would likely have a rusting problem under the mat due to acid from manure and urine so it would be a chore each time cleaning under.

I have a sincere question about squeeze chutes. We are looking for a replacement for our current unit. I would like to purchase from a company that does not sell to the government. At this moment all the big manufacturers are out. So here is e question, can anyone suggest a manufacturer of a squeeze chute that doesn't sell to the government?
Thank you

Runaway Deere":3hw9sley said:
I have a sincere question about squeeze chutes. We are looking for a replacement for our current unit. I would like to purchase from a company that does not sell to the government. At this moment all the big manufacturers are out. So here is e question, can anyone suggest a manufacturer of a squeeze chute that doesn't sell to the government?
Thank you

I don't know of any company that would not be happy to get a government contract. Most the time they kill to get picked in the competitive bid process. It is like a badge of achievement! In addition, companies are so complex in how they organize. I.E., You may think that say Tarter does not sell to the government only to discover that one of their sister companies does!

slick4591":1opba6ec said:
Does anyone anchor their squeeze chutes?
Slick, that was one of my first topics four years ago when I started posting here. I was concerned that a cow (I had a couple cows back then that were about 1800 to 1900 lbs and they were tall. I had visions of one going down and taking the chute over on you. The responses did not seem to impress on me that the risk was very worthy of my concern. I don't worry about it anymore. BTW: the SO4 has a very wide base. Mine is pinned to the palp cage and very nicely bedded on conveyor belt mats. So I have no concerns.

inyati13":1znbfds3 said:
slick4591":1znbfds3 said:
Does anyone anchor their squeeze chutes?
Slick, that was one of my first topics four years ago when I started posting here. I was concerned that a cow (I had a couple cows back then that were about 1800 to 1900 lbs and they were tall. I had visions of one going down and taking the chute over on you. The responses did not seem to impress on me that the risk was very worthy of my concern. I don't worry about it anymore. BTW: the SO4 has a very wide base. Mine is pinned to the palp cage and very nicely bedded on conveyor belt mats. So I have no concerns.

Thanks. Looks like the SO4 w/palp cage is what I'm going to get. Figuring on putting it on concrete, but was wondering if I needed to sink a couple pipe posts in for anchoring. Mats sound like a good thing to have in there too.

KINGFISHER:

A tight corner after leaving the catch pen/sweep tub to enter the alley is not ideal. A handling facility was designed by a woman who studied cattle behavior. I have read some about her. The concept was to get cattle moving and then swing they around in the opposite direction so they are not shy of knowing just where they are headed. I cannot say that is why it works because I believe after they have gone through one a few times, they know what is coming and some don't enjoy the experience. But my opinion is that a sharp corner before they enter the alley is not ideal. I notice when mine go through the sweep tub (I have a crowding pen that leads into the sweep tub), they sometimes balk going into the alley. But most of my balks occur just before they enter the palp cage. I have a hot stick that I sometimes have to use to get them into the chute. I like it better than twisting tails or hitting."
Maybe I wasn't clear...my corner was heading toward the headgate...not exiting the headgate. I'll try to post some pics one day. It worked like a champ! They move thru it nice and smooth the other day. I do need another big gate in the trap to push em toward the chute but it worked smooth. It would be a train wreck with a big bull with an attitude in the trap and the chute got real short when I needed to get out of it :)

Latest posts