New Ranch hand

Help Support CattleToday:

We still haven't seen how he is helping out on the ranch. He looks like he is winning.

Ken
Well that is going to take some time; although he has been trying to herd the cats, they don't herd very well. He is a lot more vocal than the old dog; I think she has more Border Collie in her than Australian Shepherd.

He looks a lot like my old Bear dog. If he turns out to be like Bear you will have one heck of a ranch dog.
It is interesting you say bear, the people I got him from had named him bear because he looked a bit like a bear.

It is interesting you say bear, the people I got him from had named him bear because he looked a bit like a bear.
This is my Bear. You can't see the white on her chest from this angle. I often called her Barely because she was barely a dog and almost a person. We lost her a year and a half ago at the age of 14. Patty is getting better all the time but she has some mighty high standards to live up to.

P2071401.JPG

On Wednesday the pup seen his first cow. Yesterday after we fed the cow one calf founds its way out of the coral, and put the pup on a leash and he seem interested in the calf, we got him back where he belonged. After giving the pre-weaning shot today I had him with me as I let them out into the water gap, and watched and barked some at he cows. I think he is going to make a cow dog.

I had some cows get in the stack yard the other day. Had I not had hold of the leash he would have gone after them like a bad out of hell. He also got his first bath today.

Good that you are keeping him from getting hurt as a young dog.
Most dog trainers wait til they are close to a year old before they let them work cattle.
Yearlings would be best. Some of those old cows mean business. It sure helps that
you have worked your cattle with dogs.

Good that you are keeping him from getting hurt as a young dog.
Most dog trainers wait til they are close to a year old before they let them work cattle.
Yearlings would be best. Some of those old cows mean business. It sure helps that
you have worked your cattle with dogs.
Ya. I don't want to ruin him. I was kind of worried when we had the cows in the coral; up until then he liked going out in it. Fortunately he didn't go in there while they were in there. I am not going to give him free rein, he needs to learn some commands. I have a friend that is a professional dog trainer, and I am going to rely a lot on her once I start training. Once he is old enough to work cows I want to go to a herding dog seminar.

Ya. I don't want to ruin him. I was kind of worried when we had the cows in the coral; up until then he liked going out in it. Fortunately he didn't go in there while they were in there. I am not going to give him free rein, he needs to learn some commands. I have a friend that is a professional dog trainer, and I am going to rely a lot on her once I start training. Once he is old enough to work cows I want to go to a herding dog seminar.
Perfect!! I'd say he has a good life ahead of him.

My husband is so good with dogs, it always amazes me when people don't have
control of theirs. We have had 3 cowdogs at a time and they all listened to him. He didn't even have to raise his voice. He just started teaching them when they were young and didn't let them get hurt at an early age.

Jake got snipped, and got chipped today. He is still a little groggy yet.
Great that you got him chipped. If he should ever go missing I'm sure you would hope someone would check him and get back to you.

I had a dog go missing before chips and someone called me from over thirty miles away that got my number off his dog collar. A true good Samaritan.

Great that you got him chipped. If he should ever go missing I'm sure you would hope someone would check him and get back to you.

I had a dog go missing before chips and someone called me from over thirty miles away that got my number off his dog collar. A true good Samaritan.
My uncle had his dog get out and was picked up near the ranch. If it was not for the chip I don't think he would have gotten him back.