New pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I just planted a few acres (3-4) in April. the grass is still young, but it is about 4-6" tall now. When can I put my cows on it without ruining the new field? I took a lot of hours to cut trees bury boulders and stump that area,so I am concerned about them tearing it up, if I put them out too soon. Any feedback on this subject.?

I like the hay idea. That way they wont pull it up by the roots when trying to get a bite.

Cut it first then let them on it. Is that what you are saying. I am going to wait until July 1, It is pretty thick now, I think I will be in good shape by then.

Yes good imput & this procedure gives the roots more time to "strengthen" & send runners deeper prior to that first grazing. Do start grazing it at least 6-10" as they will "cut off the tops" rather than pulling at the roots. Remove them when it is around a couple of inches, to avoid pulling plants from the ground - although given the right moisture conditions, seems that some are always uprooted (at least that's my experience with orchard grass).

you can wait to hay or graze anytime now & it should be fine. if you wait for it to get to big to graze they may pull some roots

Seems I remember seeing or hearing you shouldn't turn cattle onto new grass till it's 8 inches because of the chances of grass tetany. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Latest posts