New optimal lag time (milking)

Help Support CattleToday:

Domjan

Reaction score
The experts teach this thesis: The lag time between the first contact to the teats and the start of milking pulsation should be 40-90 seconds.

If there is wash pen then the cows are washed on waiting yard in same time. Due to "same time" the milking groups are washed e.g. 10-20-30-40-50-60 minutes before their milking. Due to this the lag times are "10-20-30-40-50-60 minutes". Nobody examined how these lag times influence the milk yields, I asked American and Israeli experts about it (in 1990 and in 2007). I have examined it; I was the one, the first (in 1990). Between 1990 and 2007 years nobody else was interested to examine it. This practice could provide the cheapest (gumboots, notebook, pencil) and the best "solution" to observe the effects of different lag times (its domain is huge, 5-70 minutes), without experiment.

Its history:
I wanted to determine "how the wrong (?) Israeli practice, the wash pen decreases yields", therefore I have recorded the milking data in the milking pits (on three dairy farms, number of cows was over 600). The results came as a surprise.

There was increasing in milk yield (its maximum point was about 15%) compared to yield of first milking groups. The measure of increasing, the optimal lag time (maximal increasing point) depended on milking period, etc. The optimal lag time was 50-55 minutes in morning milking, and 28-32 minutes in midday and evening milking (between the start of udder washing and the start of milking of given cows). (Milking 3X)

I have repeated the observations in Europe, too (tied-up system, manual sprayer, the lag time was 28-32 minutes). I have got same increases, +16.8%. The tied-up system can guarantee the same milking period each cow.

Its details and a new theory about oxytocin hormone mobilization:
http://www.goodforecast.com/newmilkingsystem.pps

Question/Comments welcomed!

"I have asked the milking experts and I received only sentences without results/data.
I have asked the best experts of the world (THE COWS) and they answered by their production data without sentences."

If you have any question/comment about this idea then please send it in a private message.
I don't check this thread/topic every week.
Thanks.

Latest posts