New neighbor kids roaming my farm

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
We have some nieghbors that have rented a house just across our south fence. This evening my wife pointed out towards the back side of our farm and two of the new neighbor kids had climbed up my deer stand. I rode the fourwheeler back there and told them not to be on that stand ever but they could come fish or just roam around if I didnt have cattle back there. Then I got to thinking that might even be a bad idea. What do yall think?

I forgot to mention I did talk to the parents when they got home but not sure they can stop the kids from coming on my place. They seem to be gone alot. That what I was thinking lcupit.

Don't know about arkansas but here all land is considered posted by state law. Which means you must have written permission or you are tresspassing. Does help some but still have a few idiots.

Tresspassing or not you can be liable. Lock all stands and go talk to the neighbors. Keep the fishing open to help with the other restrictions. It can only help.

Scotty

liable or not, i'd have a hard time getting over a kid drowning in my pond.

It only takes one bull to kill a child. We were having the same problem here a few weeks ago, but it has gotten better. How old are they or did you already say.
GW wife

Ahh Id say their about ten or twelve. The mom and dad said they would not be back on our place. When I was a kid I liked to romp and roam too but things are different nowdays. Not knowing the people makes me more nervous than the longtime neighbor kids. I agree I just dont want to see the kids get hurt or killed either and sure enuf not on my place.

i liked to romp and play when i was a kid too. its amazing i'm still here today.

When I was a kid -I wandered all over our nieghbours land hunted ,fished ,climbed his trees ..THey didnt give a big rats--- if I was there .And it never crossed anybodys mind about getting sued-------Damn I hate lawyers

This post got me thinking. Back when I was a kid we roamed all over the countryside hunting and fishing wherever we thought was a good spot. It sounds like many others on here grew up the same way.

Now days we all complain that all kids do is sit in the house watching tv or playing computer games. Then when they are outside doing something fun we are quick to chase them off our property and back onto their 2 acre lot. No wonder they spend so much time inside.

I'm not faulting anyone, because with our court system today we can't take any chances.

i wouldnt like them roaming my farm.id tell them to stay off my place.you could get sued.but the kids prolly wont stay off your place.id tell parents they not allowed on the place.scott

I remember when I was a kid, you played outside all day long. There is a big sandy creek that ran around the property of several farms. We would make dams across the creek by piling the sand up, and make water wheels out of cornstalks. Now, if you see kids outside, you wonder what they are up to. It does make you nervous when you see them out there since lawsuits seem to be a way of life for a lot of people. I absolutely hate the way things have changed.

Chris, I think it is the lack of ethics and proper rearing of today's generation that forces us to run them off our property.
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Rule is if it was locked when you went thru it then lock that gate again. Leave things as you found them and pick up your shot shells. Only takes 4 seconds to bend down and pick up the spent cartartages. And if i ever see a pop can or bottle you won't like where I put it.

And so help me, if I ever see you draw down on one of my cattle...

I don't have too many problems with tresspassers. Most the time the game warrden is even too scared to come on my place.

J&T,

Maybe you could use this as a learning opportunity for these kids. It might be the first opportunity they've had to be out in the country. Tell them that in exchange for letting them fish or whatever on your land that you have some brush that needs piled up, or some fence rows that need cleaned or something like that. Doesn't sound like their parents are teaching them a whole lot of responsibility - it certainly isn't your job to do it, but if they are good kids you could really make a difference in their lives at this age.

Just a thought & there still might be some liability issues, but maybe you can turn this into a positive experience for all....

Good Luck!

cattlemom":o4t2aeyb said:
J&T,

Maybe you could use this as a learning opportunity for these kids. It might be the first opportunity they've had to be out in the country. Tell them that in exchange for letting them fish or whatever on your land that you have some brush that needs piled up, or some fence rows that need cleaned or something like that. Doesn't sound like their parents are teaching them a whole lot of responsibility - it certainly isn't your job to do it, but if they are good kids you could really make a difference in their lives at this age.

Just a thought & there still might be some liability issues, but maybe you can turn this into a positive experience for all....

Good Luck!

She may have a strong point here. You probably can't keep them out and if you do, then you are that mean neighbor. Make them you buddies and they will respect you when you tell them to stay away from things that really matter, like blinds, and keeping gates closed.

Latest posts