New Member concerned about Huge Growth

Help Support CattleToday:

Why not spend 65? As I have said in previous postings... These animals are not bred for beef or dairy... they are kindof like a fall back plan in case of hard times... breed em and have em for pets and hope you never have to sell them. This isn't a full throttle operation... dad's a construction worker and moms a nurse... they have working lives seperate from the cattle. A registered Angus bull with a champion bloodline to us is worth a lot more than the $65 to figure out what's going on with him... We just think he is a beautiful, well-tempered, profitable at times, pet!if it's genetic we'll have to take all but the origional 10 cows to the sale barn... so it's a pretty darn good idea to spend "65 bucks" to find out whether or not 3/4's of em are gonna drop dead... think about that. I'm not takling about putting the damn bull through friggin' chemo! I'm talking about getting it looked at by people who have up to date knowledge. the vets in my area are working out of their houses and pushing 80... they are not spending money on cnotinued education, and don't have a steady enough hand to give a shot... they caoch us through injections of ANY kind... when a vet looks at it and says... "I don't know what it is... but give him this!" That is not the equivalent of coming to the university and having him checked out, thoroughly! And it's the same amount of money as the ole guys

that's the thing to do then, i never heard of anything genetic from bunchs, didn't mean to offend, but still don't see where it will change outcome. i was wrong once before

Sorry, didn't mean to snap... but I just couldn't see how it would be a waste of money to find out what something is if it could have something to do with the rest of the herd.

If it isn't genetic and it doesn't become painful, they are gonna keep him. That's where the difference lies. If it is genetic, we have to sell most of the herd and start over... That's why it's a big deal, that and we get a little too attached, I admit that.

And what do you mean "genetic from bunches"

About 50 miles.... I think.... maybe 40, I don't really know. I'm not close enough for that to matter, surely.....?

Very Cute...
I was just asking a simple question... I don't think it could have a thing to do with it, but I am no vet, and I'm no scientist. I just work at a university, I'm not a scholar! :lol:

Sorry mate , just trying to shed some humor on an other wise dismal situation.........I would always prefer to hear the lighter side of anything myself......
While I got you here.... umm.... any final word on what is or was wrong with your animal? :cboy:

No, Dad won't take him to the University, so it will remain a mystery... the problem is that he is just going to let it run it's course, even if he starts gettin miserable. Oh well, If the bull actually belonged to me and not my Dad it would be different, but he doesn't so what do you do?

is it possible it is something that he is reinjuring daily? i had a steer that was jumping a pipe barrier in my barn and bumping his flank in the proccess, he was swelling more every day but no external injury.

I've seen quite a few animals treated with Good 'Ol Neglect that recovered on their own and now you'd never know they were sick/injured/etc. Sometimes just sitting tight, watching and waiting ends up all right...'course, it wasn't MY animals treated that way!

Well, He is in an open field, so I don't think he is reinjuring himself, and maybe we do need to just let it go, and see if it goes away, it just scared us that it did what it did as quickly as it did.

Latest posts