New Holland

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I am looking at a 75 hp fwd New Holland to replace the old 65 Massey with nearly 9000 hours or rebuild the motor.
I haven't ruled that out either.
I have never owned a New holland looking for the pros and cons.

Now, now, let's not make any rash decisions. That 65 will go years beyond any New Holland tractor. Honestly, unless the rest of the tractor has fallen apart or it is getting hard to find parts, I think your best bet is a rebuild. :cboy:

I've got a New Holland TN70 cab 4wd. I like it a lot. Only had a few glitches. The thermostat on the cab heater got stuck and took a trip to the dealer to diagnose and fix. The switch in the cab that returns the 3 point hitch to a preset level has never worked right, although I'm sure one could probably jack with it long enough to get it to work. I've had it about four years and all in all have been very pleased. I shopped John Deere, Kubota, and New Holland when I bought mine. I felt that I got the most bang for the buck with the New Holland. My only regret is that I didn't go bigger. At this point, I'd like to drag a batwing mower, and I don't think this one has the umph to get it done.

skyline":2elg5eyw said:
The switch in the cab that returns the 3 point hitch to a preset level has never worked right, although I'm sure one could probably jack with it long enough to get it to work.
Does it also have a switch, lever, or knob for draft control or just the one switch?

I have a new holland 4630, Never had a problem with it,except the paint peeling off. The Kubota is the going thing around here. They're a little cheaper than New Holland.The dealership say's they sell 3 Kubotas to 1 New Holland.

Angus/Brangus":2z3608g9 said:
Caustic Burno":2z3608g9 said:
I am looking at a 75 hp fwd New Holland to replace the old 65 Massey with nearly 9000 hours or rebuild the motor.

Caustic - has that Perkins Diesel ever let you down?

No it hasn't but our Massey Dealer is gone all we have left is John Deere, my cousin owns the dealership I don't do business with family. The other dealerships are mahindra that is not happening as well as Montana.
The old Massey is over thirty years old and needing a rebuild on the old A4 236 Perkins.

somn":27nrs1lp said:
skyline":27nrs1lp said:
The switch in the cab that returns the 3 point hitch to a preset level has never worked right, although I'm sure one could probably jack with it long enough to get it to work.
Does it also have a switch, lever, or knob for draft control or just the one switch?

It has a lever for position control and a lever for draft control.

It has two push buttons - hit one to raise the 3 point to a preset level and hit the other to drop the 3 point to a preset level. You adjust the levels using a lift arm height limit adjustment on the 3 point hitch that limits the lift arm travel. I've never been able to tighten it up enough so that it doesn't work itself loose. And if it comes loose, it raises too high and can put your pto shaft in a huge bind. I just don't trust it anymore. Plus it's called the "lift-o-matic". I can't say that name without thinking of a Romco infomercial on TV at about 2 am in the morning... :)

Caustic Burno":1p17slyh said:
I have never owned a New Holland looking for the pros and cons.
Caustic if you had my NH dealer you would not have a NH either. He would make an angle swear. This spring when I was buying I never stopped he is only 6 miles away. Bought 40 miles away and Kubota so I would never have a reason to go in. I am not alone that do this.

Caustic Burno":1w6rmudl said:

Just bought a 1994 model 6640 to replace the old ford 6610 that laid down. No cab. So far, so good. It's rated at 76 hp and they are all there. The hay roller doesn't even seem to open the governer on steep ground. I have been told the weak link is the hydraulic clutch.

dyates":1yap74tx said:
Caustic Burno":1yap74tx said:

Just bought a 1994 model 6640 to replace the old ford 6610 that laid down. No cab. So far, so good. It's rated at 76 hp and they are all there. The hay roller doesn't even seem to open the governer on steep ground. I have been told the weak link is the hydraulic clutch.

The 6640 is a great tractor.Take good care of it-they aren't made anymore.Mine is an SL 12X12 and has a 7210 loader. I did have to replace the clutch due to a leak in the hydraulic clutch.Also got a wire rubbed bare in the swith for the PTO.This one handles a NH 853 real well.Mine has 3,400 + and still runs like new.

mtncows":3uaoca8r said:
dyates":3uaoca8r said:
Caustic Burno":3uaoca8r said:

The 6640 is a great tractor.Take good care of it-they aren't made anymore.Mine is an SL 12X12 and has a 7210 loader. I did have to replace the clutch due to a leak in the hydraulic clutch.Also got a wire rubbed bare in the swith for the PTO.This one handles a NH 853 real well.Mine has 3,400 + and still runs like new.

I have a 6640 with the 8X2 transmission and have over 5k hours on it and have only had to put a radiator in it. It is our loader and raking tractor and suprisingly never had to put a clutch in it. I really like the look of the newer series of New Holland tractors. I have a TM 130 that I love it rides better than a Cadillac. If and when I buy another tractor it will be blue.

My opinion is NH was good up till they started putting the TN in front of the model numbers. Seems to me quality went down hill around that time. Now, I don't own one but the sod farmer down the road said he has nothing but problems with his.

They want too much green for the green ones so I will stay with Massey and the Perkins motors.

We've got a 7840 that has been very tough. The only problem we've had is the PTO. The tractor is a '93 and will be headed to the dealer to determine the PTO issue. Other than the PTO, this unit has not given any problems, with the exception of one rear brake seal last year. It has been very dependable.

Caustic Burno":2zjq37rc said:

What model are you lookin at CB,I have a TN75,no problems yet,as a matter of fact the battery lasted 5 years.That TN gets heavy use around here when we aint in a drought,caint remember the hours,but its got plenty.
good luck
IMG_1063.jpg

TNMasterBeefProducer":29ctvm2d said:
Dang yall texans are tough. No cab. I had a david brown tractor for the longest. It broke last year and I bought a kubota m 7040 with cab. I hated working in the sun on that david brown with no cab. I got burnt to a crisp every summer and froze my cojones off in winter.

I would rather work in a open station tractor,that is till it comes to baling,I gotta have a cab for round baling,that dust and pollen off those cane type grasses is rough.
good luck

HAY MAKER":57enhn48 said:
Caustic Burno":57enhn48 said:

What model are you lookin at CB,I have a TN75,no problems yet,as a matter of fact the battery lasted 5 years.That TN gets heavy use around here when we aint in a drought,caint remember the hours,but its got plenty.
good luck
IMG_1063.jpg

Well I took the plunge on the TN or TT 75 I can't remember the letters.
I will let you know they deliver it Friday, installing the loader tomorrow.

HAY MAKER":1ceaknyo said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1ceaknyo said:
Dang yall texans are tough. No cab. I had a david brown tractor for the longest. It broke last year and I bought a kubota m 7040 with cab. I hated working in the sun on that david brown with no cab. I got burnt to a crisp every summer and froze my cojones off in winter.

I would rather work in a open station tractor,that is till it comes to baling,I gotta have a cab for round baling,that dust and pollen off those cane type grasses is rough.
good luck

The buggy canopy makes a lot more shade than a straw hat too. :nod: