New Holland U-Joint - Buy Ford

Help Support CattleToday:

frank

Reaction score
I couldn't believe the price of a New Holland U-joint for my 488 Haybine. Close to $50....

Knowing they are owned by Ford, I went to CarQuest and gave them the New Holland Part Number, but asked them to treat it like a Ford. They didn't believe it could possibly work, but up came the Ford U-Joint for half the price. It is installed and ready to start cutting.

I wonder if any other parts might work the same way.... Gears, chains, ?

Frank

frank":3f38vue7 said:
I couldn't believe the price of a New Holland U-joint for my 488 Haybine. Close to $50....

Knowing they are owned by Ford, I went to CarQuest and gave them the New Holland Part Number, but asked them to treat it like a Ford. They didn't believe it could possibly work, but up came the Ford U-Joint for half the price. It is installed and ready to start cutting.

I wonder if any other parts might work the same way.... Gears, chains, ?

Frank
NH ISN"T owned by ford anymore it is CNH andTHEY are owned by FIat
alot of U-jonts will cross over
I have a driveline shop That can cross any U-joint number and usually match it

u-joints, bearings, oil and hydriallic filters, etc. Go to an auto parts store, usually they have it or can get it. No need to buy one from the manufacturer of the equipment. gs

Ya, but what suprised me is I read the part number out of the New Holland manual to the guy at CarQuest and he said they can't get New Holland Stuff. No way.... I said pretend the Part Number from the New Holland manual ia a Ford part number and it worked. It was only $20-$ 25 bucks saved, but it made my day.

I know Ford owned them at one time, but I didn't know that Fiat had it now. Interesting. I wonder if that mean I can parts for my White 1470 tractor (with Fiat motor) there?

Says here that they were Ford owned from 86-91. My guess is that my Haybine is of that era...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Holland_Agriculturehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Holland_Agriculture

Guess I just got lucky!

Frank
(they helped me get back my old login)

Drive belt for my Craftsman reartine tiller is $25. Same sized fan belt at Autozone is $5. Like you mentioned, the problem usually lies in finding someone with enough gumption to be able to cross-ref anything.

frank said:
Keep that part number! Why did the original fail? That cheap chinese one prolly aint going to last long without grease either......:)

The first one was only replaced because I dropped pins taking out the shaft. No grease fittings on it either. Could have been original for all I know, but was still in good shape. I'm hoping it will outlast the machine.....

F./

Sometimes it pays to shop around. Normally parts from aftermarket suppliers are cheaper than OEM and equal or superior quality. For U-joints, driveline, or chassis parts, I favor a place that specializes in these things such as Inland Truck Parts. Belts, hoses, and bearings at the industrial supply place. Filters and other generic items from the auto parts store.

Latest posts