New Holland L185 skid steer oil

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I bought a 2006 New Holland L185 and I'm doing my first service on it. Here's my dilemma. I changed the engine oil and put in 8.5 quarts of 15w-40 per the owners manual, but it shows way overfilled on the dipstick. About twice as high as it should be. I know it's possible that the previous owner had the wrong dipstick. But I can't decide if i should keep it 8.5 quarts or drain some until it's right on the stick. I definitely don't want to run it with the oil overfilled. I also verified the engine was the original. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Put in recommended amount with filter change. Also check the dipstick as some have a model # on them and see if it is the right one. I had a Massey 285 that would be 1 quart over when I put in the recommend amount. The dipstick had a # on it and was the right one so I ran it 1/2 quart less and never had a problem. Also make sure all is drained out

I'm with Mr. Trent on this one.

I hate to even ask, but I'm assuming you changed the filter when doing the oil change?

I've got an LX885 and use 15w-40 in the engine, but every other fluid on the machine is 30 weight if I'm not mistaken.

Yes I changed the oil filter. I let the oil drain for over an hour before refilling while i was changing the other filters. The dipstick doesn't have any markings on it. Same on this machine also, everything else is 30 weight.

Latest posts