New here and in need of help.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle_Man

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I am new here and was wondering if y'all could help me? I am from North Alabama and I am President of our local FFA Chapter. Me and a buddy of mine are going to take out a youth loan through the FSA (Farm Service Agency) to start a cattle farm. Do any of you have any tips for me? Preeshyadit :cboy:

I know some guys that did just that. Most of the boys took out $5,000 and bought pairs. They did fairly well. The biggest problem I see with it is it gets a person into thinking that borrow, borrow, borrow. Can't make a lot of money on borrowed money in the cattle business. Well it makes it harder anyway. BUt this is a excellant program for someone to get started it. My son 13yo was also asked by the ag teacher if he would be interest in a loan. My son turned it down, told the teacher the timing wasn't right just now. Maybe he is on to something. Course he is like me tight. He wouldn't give a quarter to see a fire ant eat a bale of hay. He may do it come spring.

Most important thing I think I've learned with my animals is don't spend money on stuff you don't really need.

The only way to make money with cattle is to keep your expenses as small as possible.

Before spending money on something ask yourself if you REALLY need it or if you can figure out some other way to accomplish your goal.

Be prepared to work cause the lazy man's way is also expensive and you'll go broke being lazy.

Cattle_Man":n8m7q8pc said:
Howdy y'all. I am new here and was wondering if y'all could help me? I am from North Alabama and I am President of our local FFA Chapter. Me and a buddy of mine are going to take out a youth loan through the FSA (Farm Service Agency) to start a cattle farm. Do any of you have any tips for me? Preeshyadit :cboy:
You may be stepping in your first pile of you know what. You're saying you and your buddy are taking out a loan, as in partners?It's not something you need to dive into headfirst, especially with a partner.

Saltydawg":3bm62ny2 said:
Most important thing I think I've learned with my animals is don't spend money on stuff you don't really need.

The only way to make money with cattle is to keep your expenses as small as possible.

Before spending money on something ask yourself if you REALLY need it or if you can figure out some other way to accomplish your goal.

Be prepared to work cause the lazy man's way is also expensive and you'll go broke being lazy.

Outstanding advice. Bama's comments were also excellent.

For a young person like yourself i would recommend waiting several years. Not only is a cattle herd a big responsibility but at your age you may or may not know what will come next. Are you planning on going to college? are you going to get a fulltime job? will you have time for the cattle and a job/school? what about land? do you want to go out onthe weekends, date, have a social life in general, and go on vacations? because cow flop happens. cows get out. they have difficulty calving, they get sick, they have to be fed. Not to state the obvious here, but life after high school is completely different. plus i think prices are going to go down significantly in the next year or three.

I am only 26 but i would definitely suggest not jumping in unless you know you want this and can handle it and have all of your I's dotted and your T's crossed. I bought my cattle my last year of college and there is no way i would have been able to go to school, work, and take care of cattle all thru college. no way.

The FSA loan programs are great for young people like us starting out, but they have the beginning farmer/rancher loans that are just as good as youth loans and they last up until youre 35. If it were me, i wouldnt jump in just yet, and definitely not with a par'ner.

Beefy":3fm668u6 said:
For a young person like yourself i would recommend waiting several years. Not only is a cattle herd a big responsibility but at your age you may or may not know what will come next. Are you planning on going to college? are you going to get a fulltime job? will you have time for the cattle and a job/school? what about land? do you want to go out onthe weekends, date, have a social life in general, and go on vacations? because cow flop happens. cows get out. they have difficulty calving, they get sick, they have to be fed. Not to state the obvious here, but life after high school is completely different. plus i think prices are going to go down significantly in the next year or three.

I am only 26 but i would definitely suggest not jumping in unless you know you want this and can handle it and have all of your I's dotted and your T's crossed. I bought my cattle my last year of college and there is no way i would have been able to go to school, work, and take care of cattle all thru college. no way.

The FSA loan programs are great for young people like us starting out, but they have the beginning farmer/rancher loans that are just as good as youth loans and they last up until youre 35. If it were me, i wouldnt jump in just yet, and definitely not with a par'ner.

Pay attention to Beefy. He's been there still doing that. Real world experience here. Advise doesn't get any better than that.

Cattle_Man":14kmpvsu said:
Me and a buddy of mine are going to take out a youth loan through the FSA (Farm Service Agency) to start a cattle farm. Do any of you have any tips for me? Preeshyadit :cboy:

First, welcome to the board.

Second, as far as tips, nothing can end a friendship faster than the word "partner"

Third, re-read Beefy's post.

;-)

Good advice thus far, I had a herd when i went into college but i was older when i went into college, i had a place leased close by and a job on the ranch went to college got married came out of college knowing alot more about cattle but had alot less of them. Life is expensive but the cows helped my education in more ways than one. Does your Pa or Grandpa have cattle, if so it might be a good way to help you through college. In our chosen feild we NEED people who aren't afraid of getting an education and can mold the future for the cattle industry. Its changing. Good luck

Latest posts