New Herd Animals

Help Support CattleToday:

etmountianman71

Reaction score
Just a high level question-
When you introduce new animals to your herd (besides obvious physical health issues):
1. Do you separate from main herd?
a. If so for how long?
2. Do you perform and standard vaccinations?
a. If so what?
3. Is it a different process for bulls than cows?

Good question I would like to hear some seasoned answers.
Personally I keep new ones up separated 3-5 days or so after having vet give recommended vaccines. Same for Bulls.

Cows I size similar, bulls I size differently. That way a cow has a shot of protecting herself from the fights that will take place.. And bulls wont fight to the death, when one is the obvious winner.

Cows will give up fighting at some point before death as well.. I'm just careful that they don't gang up on the newcomer all at once, that's when hip injuries, etc start to happen.

I had a cowfight this morning when Roma that had just calved was put in with her younger sister and her calf.. I basically let them hash it out, but kept the calves out of the way while they were battling... the younger one seems to have won.

We give our new animals (cows, bulls, calves) Triangle 10 for BVD and Ultrabac 8 for Black Leg (Switching to Alpha 7 when Ultrabac 8 bottle is empty) and Ivermectin pour on wormer....will use LA 200 if sickness shows. Usually pen them up overnight...longer if they are a little wild.

Latest posts