Herd Health

Help Support CattleToday:

necattle

Reaction score
Livestock health is of utmost importance to all of us. Adding vinegar to water supply is becoming increasing popular due to vinegar clears murky water is ponds and dam scenarios, is believed to help calves gain in summer months, and the vinegar smell definately decreases fly's desire to infest cowherds. I have found this to be absolutely right on. I started with vinegar to begin the all organic process.

The second is clean water. I have removed all windmills and installed solar wells with grundfos sqf 11 AC/DC pumps with the upgraded controler that utilizes a float so there is no over flow. This sqf 11 produces 11 gallons per minute and even pumps a little in snow storms! They are cheaper than a new windmill and no more climbing and potentially falling for aging ranchers. "Too many of us."

This will water 250 head of cow calf pairs in the hottest two weeks of the year. No more moving cattle in the early morning because the wind has not been blowing for 2-3 days.

Lastly, by letting the cattle drink down in the wintertime to a half tank of water, we manually turn on the pump and when we go to feed in the morning we turn the well on first thing. By the time we are done the well has pumped 11 gallons per minute of 52 degree water on top of the ice.
We have not chopped ice since the solar wells have gone in.

One last tip, I do not know why but by bottoming out the pump in the well and raising it 4 ft means the chance of running a well dry when you first fire up the well works great due to recharge of the well with a faster pumping well can shut the pump down until the water recharges. This for us has gone away after a few days when it does happen, never to happen again. But what we have found is that with two wells, one pumping at a shallower distance versus the deeper solar well is so popular with the cattle they all virtually go to the solar well. This must mean the water is sweeter tasting pumping from the deeper location of the water. Both wells originally the same depth.

I lied, without the water overflow due to the float turning off the water when it is full means weight gain. When it gets hot our angus cattle would hole up in the ponding over flow which is dirty water. Calves can not suck cows during the day, the cows are not grazing, and they don't graze as far away as they could with limited grazing hours meaning the pasture does not get evenly grazed.

Good water equals Great Herd Health!

First Solar Well. Solar Panels $250, Grundfos Pump n float $1900, Continuous panels $200, Misc suplies equals $3500 for solar well. New tank not included. Solar Well guys are very expensive and have a very large profit on solar right now, at least in Ne versus a windmill. By selling my old windmill and motor, I received $1500 for it and with depreciation on the new improvement the new well ran me under $2000. It actually was less than that form me because I had contacts and did the solar well for $2950. Hope this helps on water and herd health.

My first post guys and gals.

Sioux Angus
Gary

Attachments

• 203.JPG
    203.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

Nice Photo, What is keeping cattle from getting into the tank and breaking off the input pipe , the white riser and getting out
of the tank and destroying the solar panels? I would guess there is more to the story than from what we are getting from the
picture..

My guess is, from the looks of it, there hasn't been a cow anywhere near that tank yet.
Guarantee you that as big and low as that tank is, it'd be no time before mine would have been in there, tearing sh!t up. And pooping/peeing in it. I can't count the number of risers & floats mine broke off through the years.

Ahh... the old Apple Cider Vinegar thing.... you know, it should tell you something when you google that, and all the 'hits' touting how great it is are from folks who are ready to sell you their own special 'organic' ACV by the case or pallet load.
It's magic, I tell you... it reverses both acidosis and ketosis, gives brighter eyes and shinier haircoats, and allows the cattle to run faster and jump higher. You name it, it 'fixes' it.

Last edited:
My guess is, from the looks of it, there hasn't been a cow anywhere near that tank yet.
Guarantee you that as big and low as that tank is, it'd be no time before mine would have been in there, tearing sh!t up. And pooping/peeing in it. I can't count the number of risers & floats mine broke off through the years.

Ahh... the old Apple Cider Vinegar thing.... you know, it should tell you something when you google that, and all the 'hits' touting how great it is are from folks who are ready to sell you their own special 'organic' ACV by the case or pallet load.
It's magic, I tell you... it reverses both acidosis and ketosis, gives brighter eyes and shinier haircoats, and allows the cattle to run faster and jump higher. You name it, it 'fixes' it.
As the hippy rancher you probably don't believe in going organic, all natural, and sell from the ranch to the table top. Vinegar is one of the qualifying items that can help you get certified organic as far as the land is concerned.
We are being held hostage by 4 large packers and have been for decades. The profit margin by going grass to tabletop is obscene once you remove the profits of the sale barn, feeder, packer, grocer distribution as well as the grocer itself.
Does it work? I don't know 110%, but the cattle smell like vinegar and flies don't seem to like the vinegar. Weight gain??? They for some reason really like it after they start drinking it. Wouldn't be my first choice because it is a pain in the butt, but organic land does interest me.
I appreciate your sarcasm, but the safety of keeping people off of 30 ft windmill towers, ample water supply, no wasted overflows is part of conserving water and keeping cattle from standing in ponding overflows which the cattle absolutely use and has a whole set of new issues to consider. Better to get in a tank once in a while and coming out than half the herd in the dirty overflow ponds. We have used these bottomless tanks for 5 generations and there may be better options, its just what has worked for our family.

Nice Photo, What is keeping cattle from getting into the tank and breaking off the input pipe , the white riser and getting out
of the tank and destroying the solar panels? I would guess there is more to the story than from what we are getting from the
picture..
No Worries, It was my first solar well on the ranch as well as a whole new well and tank. There was a half continuous panel added to the front of the enclosure. We just hadn't had time to split a continuous panel and weld and bolt on the filler piece. We have replaced all of the windmills with solar and have yet to lose a lead pipe. Or have anything get into the well area. But time will tell. It is so much nicer working with schedule 80 than steel pipe and to replace the lead pipe costs almost nothing and very easy.

My grandma believed ACV and honey would cure about anything and she used it to treat her ailments instead of taking medicines, she lived to be 93, died of no particular ailment, her body was just wore out. She drove until 90 and lived alone until 92. I drink a shot of ACV every morning. I've heard of it curing lots of ailments in people, mostly blood sugar and cholesterol related. Don't know anything about using it for cattle.

Latest posts