New Fence Options

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am looking at building some new cross fences at my house on 18 acres. Most runs will be short anywhere from 500' to 1500'. My question is on material. I am thinking of going with all steel fence. 4" galvanized corners with 2" galvanized line post every 5 or so with galvanized tee post. Also using net wire fencing. My question is the galvanized pipe material worth the extra cost. From what I have seen its anywhere from 3-4 times the cost of regular black pipe. Also, does an all metal fence last that much longer than a good treated post fence? I want good fencing but also not trying to break the bank. This fencing will be in hay fields with black dirt. Thanks for the input.

Drill pipe is pretty good, very tough, resists corrosion and a lot cheaper than galvanised where I am. I used it on a 2km stretch on my back boundary this year and was very happy with it. I would prefer it over galvanised now.

Ken

soggy, good questions - we used cedar post around here and some of the post are not holding up to put a staple in after 15 years others are still good. if i had it to do over again i think i would use steel, but good treated post might work out alright (don't know the cost difference).

the link below is a sales video but informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxgYjcEVwI

the guy that's called fence on here may have some ideas.

Keep in mind I live in a area where it's common to just leave your equipment outside.
I think in most cases good drill stem and structural reject pipe are good enough to last a lifetime. If you're in a very wet area where things never truly dry out galvanized pipe might be worth while. Common sense really.
The most important thing with all three is to use good quality material.
Drill pipe that's half rotten , poor quality wood post and light weight galvanized pipe are all no good. I think regardless the environment you will always be better off getting good quality of one versus poor of the other. Keep that in mind.

If the funds allow it I would go with the galvanized pipe. I have a lot of pipe at my disposal but tend to shy away from it. Ill use it on interior stuff or traps here and there but not on boundaries. My problem with oil field pipe is it is a 50/50 shot that is will last 2 lifetimes or if it will be rotten out in a couple years. You can not visually see what was in that well and the long term effects it will have on the pipe. In the cases where I have used pipe, it was off our wells where I knew where it came from. With the high costs of labor to build these fences, it is not some thing I want to have to risk doing twice.

In black dirt I have been please with driving pipe vs setting posts. You have to get deeeep with wood posts to get good results with black ground IMO. If your not doing it yourself the odds of it being up to par are going to be slim.

Latest posts