New Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Everyone says there isn't enough money in cattle to buy new equipment. But my hay feed broke so I bought a new one.

Well actually just the handle is new.

wow...your killing it, I would have had to take a loan to get a roll of 100mph tape to repair the very decent looking existing one :)

We are such a throw away society it is good to see someone actually refurbish something. I have put handles in before and the handle probably cost more than a new complete fork, but at least I got it back going, lol.

jltrent said:
We are such a throw away society it is good to see someone actually refurbish something. I have put handles in before and the handle probably cost more than a new complete fork, but at least I got it back going, lol.

Actually I haven't seen a good pitch fork for sale in years. This one has the thin spring steel forks. They work much better to feed hay than thick forks they sell now days as a pitch fork. I have two of these good ones. One was Dad's and one was Grandpa's. I am sure they date back to some time in the 30's.
One of the problems is finding a decent handle to put on them.

Dave said:
jltrent said:

Actually I haven't seen a good pitch fork for sale in years. This one has the thin spring steel forks. They work much better to feed hay than thick forks they sell now days as a pitch fork. I have two of these good ones. One was Dad's and one was Grandpa's. I am sure they date back to some time in the 30's.

They just don't make things like they use to as I would have done the samething. I figured that was why you replaced the handle. Does the handle drive in, glue in or a ribbit hold it in? Good job.

jltrent said:
Dave said:
jltrent said:

They just don't make things like they use to as I would have done the samething. I figured that was why you replaced the handle. Does the handle drive in, glue in or a ribbit hold it in? Good job.

It is a drive in. For those of you who have never put up loose hay or spent time on the snotty end of a pitch fork I took a picture to explain it. The fork to the right in the picture and the one in the center are both old hay forks. The tines are thinner and have some curve to them. The one to the left is what we use to call a manure fork. Now sold as a pitch fork. The tines are thicker and straighter. They don't slide into the hay nearly as easy as the old forks. If memory serves my correctly the 3 tine fork was Grandpa's and the 4 tine was Dad's. Grandpa sold the farm in '42 so both of these date back from before then. I know Dad worked putting up lots of hay for the neighbors '39-'42. I put up some loose hay when I was young. I am glad I just fork it from a big square hay into the bunk.

Dave, we have a couple 3 tined hay forks, they're really nice and light compared to the bigger 4 tine ones.. if I'm pushing my luck with a haying window for weather I'll fork the corners a day after swathing to fluff them up again.. a light fork is nice

Here is one I refurbished a few years ago with a new handle and fresh paint. The handle was actually not new as it came out of a busted corn scoop. In my younger days I loaded and unloaded a lot of silage with this. I don't know which was worse getting the smell on you or the work.....It use to be a ten needle fork until I broke one off. I wish I had it as I would try and weld back on as the tempered steel would be a challenge to get attached.

9DfunFU.jpg

S8eVG0Q.jpg

Latest posts