New Dodge trucks with 6.7 diesel engine?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
Looking at buying a new 3500 Dodge diesel truck. I would like some imput on fuel mileage, and if it will hold up to heavy use. I just towed my boat home yesterday and my Duramax is knocking and low on power, and the transmission shifts really hard sometimes. GM sure hasen't impressed me 5yrs old and less than 100,000mi. and its shot. At least all my Ford diesels lasted 300,000 before they blew up and I still have one that will be 20yrs old in a few months. Just not sure about Ford's new diesel engine, and not willing to take the chance yet. Thanks

AC I have always tried to use my GM truck for towing only. I thought it was going to be the last diesel truck that I had to buy. I have 2 other trucks that I drive when I'am not towing. If you put a pen and paper to it a diesel truck cost you 3 times as much in maintance, more $ in fuel and gets less mileage than a small truck. I don't drive my diesel dually as a statis symbol :nod:

I have a '11 2500. It pulls pretty good, but mileage is not too impressive when pulling pretty heavy, usually around 11 1/2 or 12. In fact, it's not too impressive just in ordinary empty driving either, only about 17 or so. Plenty of power, though.

Ive got a 3500 4x4 dual wheel 2011 . I get about 15 in town .10 or so towing . I'm about to remove the exhaust . I had an 08 with the same motor . Put 170k on it with no problems . Started out getting 12 in that one after I removed the exhaust I got 19 hwy and 14 towing . The only thing I did wrong when I bought the new one is I got the automatic . Other was a standard .the auto doesn't pull near as good as the standard . Go to cummins forum .com anything you want to know is on there .

Highgrit I have one of the new fords and so far I love it. It rides a lot better than my 07 and seems to pull a lot easier. The new 6 speed automatic makes me forget about the old standards. As for the mileage I am averaging 13 around town and 8-9 hauling.
IMG_20110508_184341.jpg
[/url][/img]

highgrit":tvlkq4h2 said:
Looking at buying a new 3500 Dodge diesel truck. I would like some imput on fuel mileage, and if it will hold up to heavy use. I just towed my boat home yesterday and my Duramax is knocking and low on power, and the transmission shifts really hard sometimes. GM sure hasen't impressed me 5yrs old and less than 100,000mi. and its shot. At least all my Ford diesels lasted 300,000 before they blew up and I still have one that will be 20yrs old in a few months. Just not sure about Ford's new diesel engine, and not willing to take the chance yet. Thanks
i can show you a duramax that has nearly 1/2 million miles on it...... you got water in your fuel??? are injector problem service eng light on?? we've had one that actually blew up and it wasnt the engines fault......... you couldnt stay in the shop when the tore it down.... stunk so bad it would make you gag

highgrit":2s4m90y9 said:
Does it have the Allison tranny?

highgrit":2h0zqwj3 said:
AC I have always tried to use my GM truck for towing only. I thought it was going to be the last diesel truck that I had to buy. I have 2 other trucks that I drive when I'am not towing. If you put a pen and paper to it a diesel truck cost you 3 times as much in maintance, more $ in fuel and gets less mileage than a small truck. I don't drive my diesel dually as a statis symbol :nod:
Thats what I am meaning if you are only using for no more miles a yr than that do you actually NEED a diesel
because of the added expense and maintenance
I have owned several diesels and gas rigs and pulled with all of them and I don't mean just a little load here or there I am talking about being overloaded most of the time
like hauling 4wd backhoes and a 30t tandem dual trailer with 1 ton trucks on a daily basis
or a 110hp tractors and 15 ft batwing brushogs and a 30ft tandem dual trailer
or 22 round bales of hay on the same rig
and I live in some pretty nasty hills
if you are really hauling heavy loads that you need a diesel maybe you would be better off with a midliner type truck or a single axle semi and you could buy 2 or 3 real nice ones for what one diesel 1 ton would cost you and then you have the stopping power also and don't have to worry about the power

Angus Cowman":2n87gbtj said:
highgrit":2n87gbtj said:
Thats what I am meaning if you are only using for no more miles a yr than that do you actually NEED a diesel
I have owned several diesels and gas rigs and pulled with all of them and I don't mean just a little load here or there I am talking about being overloaded most of the time
like hauling 4wd backhoes and a 30t tandem dual trailer with 1 ton trucks on a daily basis
if you are really hauling heavy loads that you need a diesel maybe you would be better off with a midliner type truck or a single axle semi and you could buy 2 or 3 real nice ones for what one diesel 1 ton would cost you and then you have the stopping power also and don't have to worry about the power
A 60 k dollar grocery go getterhuh? I pull a trailer everyday most days ,2 or 3 of them . But If all I did was pull a boat or go to the sale once a month id drive a gas rig .

JSCATTLE":1qto7cz0 said:
Angus Cowman":1qto7cz0 said:
A 60 k dollar grocery go get huh? I pull a trailer everyday most days ,2 or 3 of them . But I all I did was pull a boat or go to the sale once a month is drive a gas rig .
:nod: :nod:
And I have drove duallys since I was 16 and there were very few of them around unless it was a cattle hauler or a construction worker that had one and used it for work and yes mine was used for work but it worked pretty good for a hotrod too since it had a built 454
Now everybody and their Wife has one same way with 4door trucks and diesels they have become the family car
that is one of the reasons the prices have went thru the roof
because everybody uses them as a family vehicle

My 08 Dodge dually w/ a cummins gets 17 running empty, 15 pulling a boat and 12 pulling a 12-15000lb load. It is all original with 55,000 miles. I have pulled a few 20,000 lb + loads and fuel mileage was around 11 on flat highway. I would buy another one.

The 6.7's are pretty stout. IMO find a "delete friendly " dealer near by. Delete the DPF, add a tuner, and never look back. With out the DPF it should go 300k with out much trouble if you keep the oil changed and fuel filters changed on a regular basis. IMO DPF's and EGR are killing fuel milage and reliability.

High Cotton":207no6q3 said:
The 6.7's are pretty stout. IMO find a "delete friendly " dealer near by. Delete the DPF, add a tuner, and never look back. With out the DPF it should go 300k with out much trouble if you keep the oil changed and fuel filters changed on a regular basis. IMO DPF's and EGR are killing fuel milage and reliability.
This is exactly what I did . I'm waiting on the smarty programmer to come out for the 11 model . I had it on my 08 and also had the egr delete. I change my fuel filter every time I change my oil . The 08 had 170 k on it and I never had any problems out of it . Traded it off because I use my truck for work and I didn't want to take the chance of it srarting to break down. When I deleted the egr and removed the dpf filter my mileage went up 5 mph.

JSCATTLE":2ptt9qbi said:
High Cotton":2ptt9qbi said:
This is exactly what I did . I'm waiting on the smarty programmer to come out for the 11 model . I had it on my 08 and also had the egr delete. I change my fuel filter every time I change my oil . The 08 had 170 k on it and I never had any problems out of it . Traded it off because I use my truck for work and I didn't want to take the chance of it srarting to break down. When I deleted the egr and removed the dpf filter my mileage went up 5 mph.

And they say that they are trying to save the enviroment

Neighbor just got a new 6.7 liter ford. Loves it getting 12 to 16mpg running around farms. Can't believe the power and how quiet it is. His 6.4 liter ford got 8-10 mpg and just had the motor completely and i mean completely rebuilt. Thank goodness it was under warranty because it was in the shop 3 weeks.

Alacowman, yes it was water in the fuel, no warning light like in a Ford and check engine light finally came on after it knocked for 50 miles. I was told by my chevy dealer Woody Folsom, that the injectors were on back order till August. This is a LBZ engine and still under factory warranty hopefully. I had to give them the ok to use aftermarket injectors sounds like BS to me?? The Service Mgr. said it might be fixed in 2 weeks come on? I bought a new Dodge diesel 3500 and towed my boat to La. for the king mackeral season. The Cummins is no better than the Duramax and doesen't pull any harder, still only got 7.1 mpg. for 640 mi. of hard pulling. I like the Dodge truck much better than the Chevy reminds me of my super duty Ford. A truck is just another piece of equipment, if its broke its JUNK till its fixed. :nod:

Man that must be one heavy boat . because I pull a john deere 550 dozer with mine at 70 miles an hour I still get 11 .

IL cow man":263x005h said:
Neighbor just got a new 6.7 liter ford. Loves it getting 12 to 16mpg running around farms. Can't believe the power and how quiet it is. His 6.4 liter ford got 8-10 mpg and just had the motor completely and i mean completely rebuilt. Thank goodness it was under warranty because it was in the shop 3 weeks.

IMO don't buy a ford unless your the guy who drives a truck 50-60k then trades it in. Plus with the scorpion motors you have to deal with urea. Dodge/cummins emissions is the easiest to deal with and or delete. The reason the newer engines are so quiet is because of the common rail injection systems. With the common rail system you can have multiple injection events in a very short time frame. The "clack", black smoke, and smell of the exhaust when they're cold are some of the reasons I have loved diesel trucks since I was a little kid.

My new Dodge will not smoke. I held it to the floor climbing plenty, dogged the engine down to 4th gear trying to pull the river bridge. My boat only weights 9-10 tons, it depends on how much fuel I have onboard. Wind drag is the major factor, I have pulled 18 4x5.5 rolls of hay and got almost 12 mpg.

Latest posts