New Calve

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a first calve cow, that calved 12-16-09. I dont think she is producing enough milk. What can I feed to increase milk supply?
Thank you
~Tom.

I think she is fine. I am married to Kathy. Kathy and both daughters and three little girls are worried. I told them that the calve has all it needs. Some time I feel like the old mushroom.
~Tom.

Well, you could give her some extra hay or a little feed to help them feel better about her. If they think that her udder is too small, tell them that is normal for a first calf heifer. If the calf is frisky and playing, it is getting what it needs. Another thing is a calf waggling it's tail while nursing indicates that it is getting the milk.

Good luck
happy.gif

chippie":211zdik0 said:
Well, you could give her some extra hay or a little feed to help them feel better about her. If they think that her udder is too small, tell them that is normal for a first calf heifer. If the calf is frisky and playing, it is getting what it needs. Another thing is a calf waggling it's tail while nursing indicates that it is getting the milk.

Good luck
happy.gif

What Chippie said...

Alice

Some have richer milk than others. You probably know that. You could give it a little sweet feed if you chose to do so, but I wouldn't. As others have said, if that calf is active, let it be.

kerley":3nvx1i33 said:
I think she is fine. I am married to Kathy. Kathy and both daughters and three little girls are worried. I told them that the calve has all it needs. Some time I feel like the old mushroom.
~Tom.
Love it! Have fun feeding her. You're too out-numbered to do otherwise!
Got any range pellets? Whenever we have kids around we call them 'cow cookies' and let the kids help take them a treat. So much fun for little ones!

Papa has to be the roll model. These little girls say "I"m the man." Hahaha
~Tom.

Latest posts