New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here is a bull we traded for. We needed some bloodlines in our herd, as we are starting to get some heifers that are closely related to our other herd sires. He comes from a herd that has probably produced more World Champions in the last 20 years than anyone else in the Texas Longhorn breed. He is about as unrelated to the rest of our herd as you can get in Texas Longhorns. Hopefully he will continue to mature along the pattern he has so far, and eventually will be a great cross on the genetics that have been so successful for us so far.

CS Traveler 178/8
D.O.B. 3-4-08
He was the Grand Champion Bull in the Open and Youth Shows at the Tulsa State Fair. Even beat his ~3/4 brother that is a year older and won the two biggest shows of the year, last show season. He was also the Grand Champion Bull at the State Fair of Texas in the Autobahn Youth Scholarship Tour Show, which had right at 50 bulls in the show ranging in age from May 2008 to September 2007.

Here he is:

CSTraveler-02.jpg

CSTraveler-03.jpg

CSTraveler-04.jpg

CSTraveler-05.jpg

Thoughts, analysis, criticisms, questions, etc... always welcomed.

Ryan

Ryan, you know that I still shake my head in disgust at the truly horrid quality of most of the narrow made muscle-less Longhorns that pop up at the Alabama sell barns; BUT that bull (and yours in general) are exceptional. I personally would prefer him to be more conservative marked (and polled); BUT I obviously realize that polled solids don't sell in Longhorns. He does have good muscle expression, he has got good depth of rib, he appears to be long strided and moving well, has good eye set, and good shape of rib. I wouldn't change much. He appears to be where he needs to be for his age.

Ryan-

What a unique bull!

I have sat here for about 15 minutes just looking at each picture, and comparing each of the pictures as if they were 4 different bulls, analyzing phenotypic characteristics in each picture, and enjoyed the exercise immensely! Understanding that he is a Longhorn, I have the same comments that I would have with most other Longhorn's - that is, I would like to see more hindquarter development. But, THAT is characteristic of Longhorns, so I can't criticize a BREED trait as long as it is within the breed attributes, or parameters. But, over all, he is an outstanding representative of the Longhorn Breed! I have heard experienced breeders characterize seedstock by saying that an individual ..."has the LOOK of a winner"... and they aren't referring to specific phenotypical traits. It is somewhat of an 'ethereal' impression or feeling that, at least I got when looking at these pictures, expressing a subliminal 'awareness' in my innermost thoughts. I guess that sounds pretty lyrical, now that I think about it, but the bull really impresses those thoughts on my mind. He is looking directly into my eyes and challenging me to say anything negative about him!

Heck of a Bull! :nod: He should really be an asset to you!

DOC HARRIS

Brandonm22":1kb977u5 said:
Ryan, you know that I still shake my head in disgust at the truly horrid quality of most of the narrow made muscle-less Longhorns that pop up at the Alabama sell barns; BUT that bull (and yours in general) are exceptional. I personally would prefer him to be more conservative marked (and polled); BUT I obviously realize that polled solids don't sell in Longhorns. He does have good muscle expression, he has got good depth of rib, he appears to be long strided and moving well, has good eye set, and good shape of rib. I wouldn't change much. He appears to be where he needs to be for his age.
most of those have been run down a arena a thousand time's and not given any thought too quailty.... just something with horn's that will run strait...... you'r over there near beverly robins..........nice bull ryan

I actually saw that bull out at the Tulsa State Fair.. and even then I thought he looked amazing. You got a good one there Ryan!

Limomike":1q0d42ju said:
I actually saw that bull out at the Tulsa State Fair.. and even then I thought he looked amazing. You got a good one there Ryan!

Thanks for all the comments and compliments on the bull. Too bad I can't say I had anything to do with producing him, but I am glad we were able to get him and raise him to his maximum genetic potential. And I do think he has come a long ways since we got him. He had a rough couple of weeks before he got to our place. I thought he grew a lot from Tulsa to Dallas, but since the Dallas show he has really come on strong. Best of all he has a real cool disposition, he knows what to do when you put the show stick on him.

When I get home this evening I'll post his picture from Tulsa, just to show how much he has come along.

Ryan

I don't know much about longhorns, but I do know that his hide would look great on my living room floor. :D

But seriously, he's a good looking bull. Congrats!

Before reading any other comments, I thought that he had adequate rear, especially for a LH, and the only nit-picking I would have made was add a little heavier bone, and I think he'd make a good bull in a lot of breeds if you paint him the color and horn pattern or lack thereof of the breed.

greenwillowhereford II":1ud0agbm said:
Before reading any other comments, I thought that he had adequate rear, especially for a LH, and the only nit-picking I would have made was add a little heavier bone, and I think he'd make a good bull in a lot of breeds if you paint him the color and horn pattern or lack thereof of the breed.

I edited my post above, and will re-phrase my thoughts on his rear end here. I do think he could have more in the rear in department. Against the average Texas Longhorn bull he has ample, even compared to most bulls on the show circuit he has enough. GreenWillow used a word that I think perfectly describes the amount of rear end he has: adequate. This is in regards to our herd, not the Texas Longhorn industry. We certainly put a premium on ample, above average muscling in the hindquarter. We feel that he has adequate development in that area, and his other characteristics should compliment the rest of our herd.

Ryan

ALACOWMAN":3imr2ycj said:
Brandonm22":3imr2ycj said:
most of those have been run down a arena a thousand time's and not given any thought too quailty.... just something with horn's that will run strait...... you'r over there near beverly robins..........nice bull ryan

You are right of course. They would look better if fed better and roped a lot less.

Rustler9":3jzts3n2 said:
Nice looking calf-what's his breeding?

Sire is Saltgrass. Dam is Ginger's Hot Stuff, 4K Cracker Jackie who was World Grand Champion is her dam. Ginger's Hot Stuff is all 4K breeding.

He came from Bob Moore's herd.

Ryan

Brandonm22":18rr5xud said:

Excuse my ignorance ( i come from a land without Longhorns ) but can you get a Polled Longhorn ( sounds like an oxymoron ) and why would you want too ?

I think that is a great young bull regardless of breed.

Ryan, I have never been a fan of LH cattle, but I have ALWAYS admired yours. Your cattle have the markings & horns of the breed, but everything else would fit most any breed's program.
This bull fits well with your type of cattle. No matter how "good" an animal is - you can always find something that needs to be improved. But, you have to look at the whole picture, and he makes a great "picture". Hope he compliments your herd.

Nice looking bull, I don't know much about longhorns, but, he looks hard to beat. I had a chance to look at the website and yall have some really nice looking bulls and cows
I bet it's hard to let some of them go. Have you had any bulls recently or in the past that you wish maybe you could have kept a little longer to see how they would turn out
or maybe some that you have sold as of late?

Good looking longhorn, and I don't like longhorns. As a matter of fact, if his horns stopped growing there, I'd consider using him on some cows.

Latest posts