New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornhomer":an91biwr said:
Nice looking bull, I don't know much about longhorns, but, he looks hard to beat. I had a chance to look at the website and yall have some really nice looking bulls and cows
I bet it's hard to let some of them go. Have you had any bulls recently or in the past that you wish maybe you could have kept a little longer to see how they would turn out
or maybe some that you have sold as of late?

Thanks for the compliments. We had one bull, SD Big Bad Bob, that we sold and I wish we would have kept him longer. He was a World Class Champion and a meatwagon of a bull. He was 1800lbs at 23 months old and wasnt quit growing by any means. We bred him for two or three years, but since he was such a big, growthy bull, and we had other, older bulls, we ended up breeding Big Bad Bob to some of our bottom end cows that needed all the help they could get. We got some solid calves out of him with those cows. Most the cows outproduced themselves (which, honestly, wouldn't have been hard to do). However, when bred to average or above-average cows we got some Tremendous offspring. Including one bull that another breeder had that was named the World Grand Champion Bull, his name is Top Shelf.

Honestly, for me, it is not real hard to let them go. I like to get our name and brand out there. Plus, I think that we have the type of animals that can improve the herds of other breeders, so I am all for selling cattle. With that said, there are some that I can't let go of, for one reason or another (such as the bull in this thread). Actually, right now, I've got too coming yearling bulls on feed and need to move a couple, but they are too nice to just send across the scales, so I will hang on to them just a bit longer until I can get them sold as show bulls or as breeders.

Ryan

Latest posts