New born Calf Scale

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I won a door prize at our corp meeting last week and it was a handheld fish scale. It goes up to 110#. I had a calf born fri night and had the brite idea that that could be used to weigh the calf. I went in the house and found and old cheap duffle bag about 22" long and 2 handles . I split the ends down to the bottom to make a sling. I just zero the scale with the bag attached and slip the sling around the calf and pick up buy the scale. It worked perfect . if you raise bucket head calves that weigh over 110# you can add weight to the bag to get you a tare weight and then weigh the calf. here is the scale I have . they cost about 10 bucks at amazon. I thought I had a brilliant idea only to find out you can buy this exact scale and a fancy sling at Jeffers for about 50 bucks. Oh well day late and a dollar short.

41oGYc1xvUL.jpg

Put 10# in the bag and hit the tare button . that will rezero the scale to -10 after you remove the weight . if you weigh something that registers 110# it would really weigh 120# after tare weight is included. its a way to get around the weight limit .

How do you know that whatever you are weighing is within the tare weight? How do you know to add just 10 lbs and not 20 lbs?

in other words--just take a guess at how much over the scale's limit the calf actually weighs and keep adding or subtracting till you get it right.
Seems it would be a lot easier just to get a scale with enough variance (0-150lbs) and not have to go thru all that guesswork, which I always thought was the purpose of having a scale to begin with--not having to guess.

Yes buying the appropriate device is how some do it but I ain't made of money and a again common sense would preval and if your calving 125# everyday a bigger scale would be in order. By the way your glass is half empty GB.

Bought one of these scales and tested it out on newborn the other day. Worked like a charm and easy to carry around. Does not scare the cow like the other scale i had with a big face on it.
Easy to read as well. If i a m having calves that are more than 110 lbs then i need to quit :)

Latest posts