new and need some advice!

Help Support CattleToday:

taryn

Reaction score
hola todos!
i am currently doing some major research on the aspects of owning a horse. i love to ride and have recently been considering getting my own horse. i know there are many responsibilities that come with such a large animal, physical and financialy. i am no stranger to hard work and am more than willing to put in the hours. but i need some advice onthe money issue. apart from the initial purchase, what are the costs for the care and keeping of the horse monthly/yearly?
i will need a stall to rent. and also if you have any tips on ways to save money and make for a happy horse, please share! post or pm me any feedback.
gracias,
taryn

I don;t know what the costs are in the states, but I will give you a breakdown of what you need, and you can research the costs :p

There is your initial purchase, then:

Every 6 weeks they will need their feet done. Most can go barefoot, adding shoes adds expense. My horses' feet cost $34.50 CDN with tax for a barefoot trim, it can get close to $200 CDN of you need a complete trim and new shoes on all fours.

They need annual/biannual vaccinations. The cost depends on what you are getting vaccinated for, and the travel charges for the vet to get there. If you are not showing your horse, or moving him off the property a lot, or horse coming in and out of the property, a lot of the communicable disease vaccines can be excluded.

The horse will need his teeth floated every 6 months - year, to prevent discomfort and eating problems. This is completely necessary. Don't try to save cost on teeth.

Fly sprays, sunscreen (of your horse has a white nose :p), grooming supplies.

Tack and blankets depending on the conditions (rain sheet, fly sheet, stable blanket, turnout rug) (The only sheet I ever had on my horse was a winter blanket, for when we got the wet sleet/snow in Nova Scotia... it went right to their bones. A wet horse is a cold horse, if you don't get wet snow, the winter coat will be a fine insulator)

Feed if the stable does not provide it.

Supplements if you like (I never gave my horse any...)

Monthly board. 24/7 pasture can be just fine. I had mine on 24/7 pasture for a long time. This was in Manitoba, Alberta and Nova Scotia. There were some HARSH conditions. However, make sure shelter is available. A stall will increase your cost. I don't know how much board is there, but the stable I currently work at charges $500 CDN a month. (I would never ever pay that, ha ha ha, my horse lives in a field, to be a horse.)

See if a stable will let you work off your board, or a portion of it. When I had my mare I worked a few days a week and got significantly cheaper board. It's really worth a try ;) Leasing out your horse can be a cost saver, but it si risky. If you find the right person, and just don;t have the time to properly excersise the horse yourself, it can be a viable option.

Be open to all possibilities, and good luck ont he horse hunt ;)

TCFC

TCFC":21t7t2e5 said:
Every 6 weeks they will need their feet done. Most can go barefoot, adding shoes adds expense. My horses' feet cost $34.50 CDN with tax for a barefoot trim, it can get close to $200 CDN of you need a complete trim and new shoes on all fours.

Arguable. Legs gets trimmed when her hooves start getting long - which varies according to the time of the year. Like people whose nails grow faster some months, horses do the same. Generally speaking, she is trimmed every 8 - 10 weeks or thereabouts. Our farrier charges 35.00 for all four feet.

They need annual/biannual vaccinations. The cost depends on what you are getting vaccinated for, and the travel charges for the vet to get there. If you are not showing your horse, or moving him off the property a lot, or horse coming in and out of the property, a lot of the communicable disease vaccines can be excluded.

West Nile vaccinations run 25.00/horse here. We purchase the vaccination and give it ourselves - thus no vet, no vet travel expenses, etc. This is generally the only vaccination Legs receives each year. Depending on your area, you may need to add Encepalitis. Not sure what that costs, as it's not a problem here at this time. If you plan on showing your horse or crossing state borders for any reason, he/she will need an annual coggins (Equine Infectious Anemia test), and it must be negative to cross borders, I would also recommend a 5-way vaccination. Can't remember what all it protects against, but rhino is one of them. In Wyoming, a horse crossing state lines also requires a brand inspection. I'm not sure how many states require this.

The horse will need his teeth floated every 6 months - year, to prevent discomfort and eating problems. This is completely necessary. Don't try to save cost on teeth.

B.S. flag! Some horses need regular floating, other's do not. We have had very few horses that developed any kind of teeth problems whatsoever, and I've been around horses for my entire 46 years! Horses that need to be floated will display symptoms such as refusal to be bridled, not wanting to eat, dribbling grain/hay while chewing, etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Fly spray is good, and usually provides the horse with a higher comfort level, however I have never heard of a horse getting sunburned, nor have I ever seen a horse that was sunburned. Another B.S. flag! Almost all of our horses over the years had stripes, snips, stars, white feet, light color, etc, they NEVER got sunburned. And, no, they were not in a shed, stall, overhang, etc.

Tack and blankets depending on the conditions (rain sheet, fly sheet, stable blanket, turnout rug) (The only sheet I ever had on my horse was a winter blanket, for when we got the wet sleet/snow in Nova Scotia... it went right to their bones. A wet horse is a cold horse, if you don't get wet snow, the winter coat will be a fine insulator)

Blankets? Please! Snow/sleet/cold temperatures is why a horse grows a winter coat. Additionally, blankets left on for any length of time can and do interfere with the natural growth of a horses coat. I personally cannot tell you how long that is, as none of our horses have ever been blanketed or sheeted in their lives! If you are using a good quality fly spray, there is no additional need for a fly sheet.

I would not use stable provided feed even if a stable would provide it. The horse belongs to me, therefore it is my responsibility to make sure his/her feed is up to my quality requirements and fed to him/her on a regular basis. There is only one way to make sure this is happening - I buy the feed and I feed my horse. I'm not saying that stable owners are careless, neglectful, out to screw their clients, or in any way denigrating them, as far as I'm concerned if one is not willing to accept the responsibility for one's animal, and make sure that animal is cared for properly, one does not have any business owning that animal.

Horses need good quality, 10-12% protein, grass hay, period. Good quality pasture would be optimum, but is not always practical. Unless a horse is a performance horse or being worked hard, they do not need alfalfa, nor do they need grain of any kind.

Monthly board. 24/7 pasture can be just fine. I had mine on 24/7 pasture for a long time. This was in Manitoba, Alberta and Nova Scotia. There were some HARSH conditions. However, make sure shelter is available. A stall will increase your cost. I don't know how much board is there, but the stable I currently work at charges $500 CDN a month. (I would never ever pay that, ha ha ha, my horse lives in a field, to be a horse.)

Board varies from facility to facility and from state to state. We charge 70.00/month for a run and stall, 60.00 for a run with an open shed, 50.00 for just a run. Taryn, you will have to research to see what the prices are in your area. Shelter is nice, but not necessary. Horses have been living in the wild for thousands of years. A tree in a pasture will provide all the shelter he/she needs. If he/she is in a run, he/she will quickly learn to turn his/her butt to the rain/snow/sleet, etc. and survive just fine.

See if a stable will let you work off your board, or a portion of it. When I had my mare I worked a few days a week and got significantly cheaper board. It's really worth a try ;) Leasing out your horse can be a cost saver, but it si risky. If you find the right person, and just don;t have the time to properly excersise the horse yourself, it can be a viable option.

Most places will not allow this, as their insurance won't allow it. Plus it causes problems with other boarders wanting to do the same thing.

TCFC

msscamp":vo9ddks5 said:
TCFC":vo9ddks5 said:

Arguable. Legs gets trimmed when her hooves start getting long - which varies according to the time of the year. Like people whose nails grow faster some months, horses do the same. Generally speaking, she is trimmed every 8 - 10 weeks or thereabouts. Our farrier charges 35.00 for all four feet.

We trim every 6 to 8 weeks. Yes, horses vary in how fast their hooves grow. Here it's $20 for a trim, $65 to trim and shoe. The consequence for letting a horse's hooves grow way too long is the risk of tendon damage. I'm talking about the people who have their horses trimmed once a year, when hunting season starts. Grrrr.

West Nile vaccinations run 25.00/horse here. We purchase the vaccination and give it ourselves - thus no vet, no vet travel expenses, etc. This is generally the only vaccination Legs receives each year. Depending on your area, you may need to add Encepalitis. Not sure what that costs, as it's not a problem here at this time. If you plan on showing your horse or crossing state borders for any reason, he/she will need an annual coggins (Equine Infectious Anemia test), and it must be negative to cross borders, I would also recommend a 5-way vaccination. Can't remember what all it protects against, but rhino is one of them. In Wyoming, a horse crossing state lines also requires a brand inspection. I'm not sure how many states require this.

WNV is $18 a horse here and we give our own. Definitely a brand inspection if the horse is crossing state lines most anywhere in the west.

B.S. flag! Some horses need regular floating, other's do not. We have had very few horses that developed any kind of teeth problems whatsoever, and I've been around horses for my entire 46 years! Horses that need to be floated will display symptoms such as refusal to be bridled, not wanting to eat, dribbling grain/hay while chewing, etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Not many need to have their teeth floated, but that need can vary with the age of the horse. Some need to have it done in the 3 to 5 year age group, then maybe not again until they're quite a bit older. Every horse we own gets at least a yearly heath checkup with the vet. That includes checking their teeth. Our oldest and youngest horses needed to have their teeth floated this past fall. A third horse was iffy, so the vet touched his teeth up a bit. The other three didn't need anything done.

Fly spray is good, and usually provides the horse with a higher comfort level, however I have never heard of a horse getting sunburned, nor have I ever seen a horse that was sunburned. Another B.S. flag! Almost all of our horses over the years had stripes, snips, stars, white feet, light color, etc, they NEVER got sunburned. And, no, they were not in a shed, stall, overhang, etc.

Yes, I've seen horses with white hair/pink skin that do sunburn. It usually shows up as dry crusty skin that heals up pretty rapidly if the skin is protected for a few days. Sunscreen can be necessary for some horses. I've never owned a horse that needed sunscreen, but friends who raise and train horses have one mare that sunburns her nose very easily. Sunscreen takes care of the problem. Her offspring don't seem to have that problem.

Blankets? Please! Snow/sleet/cold temperatures is why a horse grows a winter coat. Additionally, blankets left on for any length of time can and do interfere with the natural growth of a horses coat. I personally cannot tell you how long that is, as none of our horses have ever been blanketed or sheeted in their lives! If you are using a good quality fly spray, there is no additional need for a fly sheet.

We don't do the blanket routine, unless it is wintertime and we're trailering a horse home after team penning. If the horse works up a good sweat, we'll leave the blanket on until the sun is up the next morning. Yes, a wet horse can be miserable, depending on the temperature of the air. 32 degrees and wet is a miserable horse, but they survive without any ill effects. When the weather's like that, I'll throw in a couple of extra flakes of hay so they can munch longer and work on keeping their body temperature up.

I would not use stable provided feed even if a stable would provide it. The horse belongs to me, therefore it is my responsibility to make sure his/her feed is up to my quality requirements and fed to him/her on a regular basis. There is only one way to make sure this is happening - I buy the feed and I feed my horse. I'm not saying that stable owners are careless, neglectful, out to screw their clients, or in any way denigrating them, as far as I'm concerned if one is not willing to accept the responsibility for one's animal, and make sure that animal is cared for properly, one does not have any business owning that animal.

Horses need good quality, 10-12% protein, grass hay, period. Good quality pasture would be optimum, but is not always practical. Unless a horse is a performance horse or being worked hard, they do not need alfalfa, nor do they need grain of any kind.

No supplements fed here for most of our horses, unless the horse has a particular dietary need. Alfalfa hay tends to change the pH of the gut which, in a horse can predispose some to colic. We can rarely get straight grass hay here, so have to feed an alfalfa/grass hay mix. Five of our six horses do well on that. The sixth tends toward colic unless he has additional rhoughage to keep the feed moving through his gut. We pasture three of our horses about five months of the year and have to feed hay the rest of the time. My 25 year old does get supplements in the wintertime. He does very well on pasture the rest of the year.

Board varies from facility to facility and from state to state. We charge 70.00/month for a run and stall, 60.00 for a run with an open shed, 50.00 for just a run. Taryn, you will have to research to see what the prices are in your area. Shelter is nice, but not necessary. Horses have been living in the wild for thousands of years. A tree in a pasture will provide all the shelter he/she needs. If he/she is in a run, he/she will quickly learn to turn his/her butt to the rain/snow/sleet, etc. and survive just fine.

A board fence, a tree, or some similar item suffices for shelter here. We're at high altitude and have snowy winters, but our horses grow good winter coats and, like posted above, turn their butts to the storm and do well.

Most places will not allow this, as their insurance won't allow it. Plus it causes problems with other boarders wanting to do the same thing.

TCFC

Well now, sorry guys. Was just giving a rough outline. I am not going to detail every little thing I have ever done with the horse, did't realise a suggestion was BS around here.

re. feet: Let's see, mine was barefoot, trimmed when she needed it, depending on the time of year, it varied, but was usually around six weeks. I was giving the average here guys. realsie feet need to be trimmed when they need to be trimmed. Someof our horses, due to the fact that they are outside, wearing their feet down the natural way, do not need to be trimmed very often at all... I was giving around what she could expect.

Re. Re. Teeth: Have the teeth CHECKED at least once a year, if you have a good vet, they will tell you if they need to be done. As was said, this can be done at the yearly checkup. Better to get then checked, and only have them need to be adjusted a little bit, than to wait for a problem to develop. Younger horses with correctly placed teeth may not need to be done, however, if the teeth are less than correctly set, or the horse is older, they may need to be done more often. I personally do not like to see a horse GET to the point of dribbling feed and being fussy with bridling. I would rather regular maintenance so that it don't get broke in the first place. Also, if the teeth get to a certain length, they cannot be fixed all in one visit, it will have to be done gradually. Floating causes heat in the tooth, which, if done for too long in taking too much off the tooth, can be transmitted to the root and cause pain and damage. Having the teeth at least checked every six months to a year can allow for much less risky tiny adjustments to be made.

Re: Sunscreen. It's a maybe, like I said. I never had to sunscreen my horse. However, there is 3 horses at the barn who have blisters on their nose if a sunscreen is not used, they are super sensitive horses. Once again, I never did use it, but am aware that there are oddball cases when it might be needed.

Re Supplements: My horse never got a supplement. She was on very good pasture, hay when the pasture was lacking, and a pelleted feed with about 12% protien when we were doing a lot of work. Some people, however, may want to give them, and I was letting her know that if she chooses this may be a possible cost.

Re Blankets: The ONLY time I ever blanketed my horse was when she was soaked to the bone and the weather would not quit. She did not have a blanket on for any length of time, and this was after she already had a good winter coat. Some years she never had a blanket on, this was once in a while (the blanket collected dust most of the time.) The horses in Alberta and Manitoba never saw a blanket in their lives. A horse can survive fine without one as I said... And I was talking -25 celsius (around -13 fahrenheit) temperatures. The horses get wet from rain/sleet, and the temperature plummets. Weather changes fast here. And living near the coast, it is always damp. Maybe Ia m babying her, as she is good at turning her butt... but when the weather gets horrendous, she gets a blanket.

Re Stable Feed: I always used the feed the stable provided. Number one because I worked there and knew what my horse was getting, and number two, the stable fed what I was feeding to begin with. It's a matter of personal preference. I have only ever had ONE stable when the feed situation went awry, and I moved my horse. I have also been at a stable where we bought our own feed and kept it there, and we fed the horses. Both types of stables worked fine for me, it all depends on what is available in your area, and what you plan on feeding your horse.

*sigh*

Once again, sorry for the horrendously innacurate information. I didn't realise that suggestions from personal experience could be complete BS

Hang in there TCFC, most of your info was right in there in my experience.

Some of you guys know me well enough to know I'm going to throw in my two cents:

Our horses:

Feet: every 6 to 8 weeks we'll go 10 if they are in a slow growth period. $25 for trims and $75 for resets.

Teeth: every two years and only if needed

Sunscreen: never used it, but horses (with larger white areas) do sunburn and will blister. Greys are more likely to devolope skin cancer/problems than darker horses. We use fly masks every sunny day during fly season.

Supplements: everyday 365, in addition to top quality grass hay and grain, as well as a lick block. The amount of grain depends on what we are doing with them, varies from a hand full to several cups, again depends on the horses activity level. We don't feed alfalfa unless they are in heavy training, makes horses too hot, IMO.

Blankets: Always in the winter time and water proof during heavy rains. Saves the horses on the amount of energy they use to stay warm, rain rot, shaggy coats if you plan to ride during the winter, body clipping in the spring. Yes they can survive without, but like you and me we would rather not, give us a warm house out of the rain and good dry food.

Vaccs and wormer: Get a good schedule and keep up with it if you can Vaccs yourself you're better of $$.

Stable feed: Before we brought our horses to our new place and got our barns built, we had them in a "4-H" type boarding barn, $100 each full care with turnout. They fed the same top quaility grass we did and gave us a choice of 3 grains which all we good grains. We supplied or own supps. And the owner was more than eager to have some of the 4-H kids clean stalls for discounts on boarding.

JMO
Alan

thank you all for the advice! im learning alot from your replies. keep 'em coming :cboy: ! i live in north carolina,usa where the although erratic weather here stays pretty mild so it doesnt look like i will be needing any blankets. about theboarding issue, so would it be better to have the horse kept in a field even at the start? or should i wait till he is used to responding to me? i hope to get a young arabian, a good choice for my first horse? i will not be showing, competing, or moving him anywhere i dont think, atleast not for a while. mostly i will just be taking him for leisure rides through the field and through some trails. i will be looking at some ranches in my area and now ill know to ask about working off some of the $$. i will definatly will be feeding and grooming etc. the horse my self. i dont think i will be leasing it or anything. the only way i know to ride is western and i dont do jumping or that type of thing. i have also been considering leasing a horse to get some experience with everything that comes with owning. agian, thank you for all your advice! im all ears here :p .
God Bless you all!
taryn

Taryn:

Just remember this sage piece of advice.

The only thing cheap item when it comes to horses is the purchase price.

Bez

Bez, that is the best piece of advice given so far, and the best I think could ever be given. It is so true...

Another thing that I forgot. Make sure you have some backup cash saved up for possible emergencies. You never know when a problem could aruse (injury, colic etc...) when you may need the vet out, and an emergency fund is always handy.

Good luck with the purchase, and I think leasing a horse is a great idea. I leased for a 3 years before I got my first horse, gives you a better idea of what you are getting into. It is much different than lessons, trail rides and catch rides, but so much more rewarding that the same time :)

As far as the first horse, it depends on how much experience you have going into it. A young arabian is may be a hot, high strung horse, but if you have experience, and the support of a coach/trainer/mentor you should be fine. I made the mistake of getting a very green horse for my first horse, had I had a someone experienced around me, it would have turned out better than it had, ha ha ha. Mind you, it DID give me some useful experience for later on... namely, how to bounce.

Pasture board is fine at any time. You may want a smaller paddock at first to work with your horse and establish trust before you turn him out in a huge pasture, but that is up to personal preference. When I boarded on pasture in MB, we had a small pen that the horse went in for a week before being turned out with the herd, but this was more for quarantine reasons to make sure the horse did not have any communicable diseases that could be spread through the herd.

Once again, good luck. The bond you will develop with your own horse is like nothing else :) AND! You won't have to adjust your stirrups :lol:

TCFC

taryn":f5p3sq65 said:
about theboarding issue, so would it be better to have the horse kept in a field even at the start? or should i wait till he is used to responding to me?

I think you could answer that yourself by your question.

i hope to get a young arabian, a good choice for my first horse?

From experience, would not be my first chioce, in fact close to my last choice, nothing beats a mature Quarter Horse (not appendix through, a good Quarter Horse).

Alan

Bez":3qaqpsu2 said:
Taryn:

Bez

I have a belief that if I could get a horse to eat one dollar bills as fast as I could feed it to them, it would equal the cost of having a horse.

JMO,
Alan

Bez":ysoruglk said:
Taryn:

Bez

I have a belief that if I could get a horse to eat one dollar bills as fast as I could feed it to them, it would equal the cost of having a horse.

JMO,
Alan

TCFC":10cf48ew said:
Every 6 weeks they will need their feet done.

They need annual/biannual vaccinations.

TCFC

Sorry if I misunderstood, but these statements don't sound like 'suggestions' to me.

Medic24":2ix3pnmm said:
This is why horse is best cooked over an open fire and served up with plenty of A1 sauce. :cboy:

4 post like this one, you sound like you're "high" on a mountain top in Western NC.

Alan

Medic - much as I love horses, I figure you ruin a good horse steak with A-1 sauce!

Eaten it all over the world - some great and some good - seldom had a poor one.

Seems only in North America is there a stigma on horse eating.

As for dollar bills - well I just accept the fact that enjoyment costs money.

Bez

Bez":1io4qfq8 said:
As for dollar bills - well I just accept the fact that enjoyment costs money.

Bez

That's why I don't mind spending money on them and will continue to do so for years to come, but don't ever think they are not expensive sources of enjoyment. Eat, I mean buy a dog! :D

Alan

Latest posts