Need Advice!

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
I would like to direct this question to the quarter horse enthusiast on the forum. An elderly gentleman we know is selling all his stock (cutting horses), due to the fact that he is in bad health and simply can't care for them anymore and doesn't want to rely on someone else.

He has offered me a mare and a weanling, the mare is Peptoboonsmal and Freckles Playboy bred and the colt is by a Boonlight Dancer stud. She is also bred back to the sire of the colt. The mare is 6 years old, and a beautiful dapple grey. He has offered the 3-n-1 package to me for $3,000.

Would this be a good investment or should I steer clear? Thanks for reading.

If you have a market for the horses in your area it could be a decent deal. If your just looking for a pasture ornament you can get them free every day.

I assume this gentleman made a little money with them and the market is similar to registered cows. reputation drives the customers. Back in 08 when we sold out registered qtr horses were bring 200 to 250 at auction. we averaged 1250.00 at auction. bloodlines and reputation was the difference.

Thanks for the feedback M5.
There is a gentleman that lives in my community that trains cutting horses. He has a High Brow Cat stud horse that he is showing and has several thousand dollars won with the NCHA, If I purchase them my plans were to breed to his stud and raise colts to train and sell. I know what I can make money on in cattle but not sure about the horse industry.

If you have a means of developing a horse to match the potential of that pedigree then that's a money making deal. If you don't then you're going to make a lot of pleasure horses that people don't like because they move really fast. ;-)

How close is peptoboonsmal and f.p. is the key to me? To me granddaughter is where it needs to be at least for a broodmare. Even more important if the mare has not produced or won any thing herself

That's not a bad buy. The question was, is this a good investment? Yearlings are worth X at one mans house, and that same colt may be worth X to the Y power at another man's house.

If your going to hire them rode, there is nothing to be made off of them. If your a good hand, and can put a handle and a stop on one, then possibly.

The world is full of broke horses.........and broke cowboys. Wait till you find a finished horse that meets those two criteria if your just starting out.

The mare is a grand daughter of Peptoboonsmal and Freckles Playboy on the bottom side. I have worked horses my whole life so that's not a problem, just didn't know if it was a good investment. I know what I can make with cattle, this just seems like a crap shoot to me, think I'm going to roll the dice and give it a shot, even if I don't come out like I would like, my daughter will enjoy the mare, she's kid broke.

Latest posts