New.... and Grateful

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading these wonderful boards for a week now and haven't stopped smiling.

Having searched for a long time to find an informative, friendly, creative, PATIENT group of cattle folks who truely love their cows, I can finally thank the cow gods for leading me here~!!

I encourage all you other cow "lurkers" to sign in and be counted.
We all have something to learn from other cattle people and we all have information to share.

From reading all the posts this week, My only ** request is to make sure you identify the location/state that you are from-- as it makes it easier to understand the differences in management, conditions, feeds, weeds, etc etc.
Having the location under your name helped me sort out and visualize the different conditions we all raise our cattle under.

I want to wish you all a healthy and productive 2005,

CowCop
Vermont

Welcome aboard and glad you're impressed! Some good stuff here, no doubt. I like this group, too, but I'm about a quarter-bubble off. Uh, just as a matter of curiousity, if you think this board is so all fired "friendly, informative and PATIENT", just exactly what other boards have you been on???

Welcome aboard cowcop. There is a wealth of knowlege hangin out here. I'm sorry to say very little of it belongs to me :oops:

george

Welcome aboard. What part of Vermont do you live. We're heading there tomorrow to visit our Daughter & grandsons to celebrate Christmas. They live Northeast of Burlington. They have a dairy farm, but also raise Simmentals (belong to grandsons).

Welcome to the board CowCop, I live in Texas east of Dallas but I am not allowed to put my location under my avatar or Caustic Burno will get mad.

;-)

CowCop":15te8bac said:
Hi All,

I have been reading these wonderful boards for a week now and haven't stopped smiling.

Having searched for a long time to find an informative, friendly, creative, PATIENT group of cattle folks who truely love their cows, I can finally thank the cow gods for leading me here~!!

I encourage all you other cow "lurkers" to sign in and be counted.
We all have something to learn from other cattle people and we all have information to share.

From reading all the posts this week, My only ** request is to make sure you identify the location/state that you are from-- as it makes it easier to understand the differences in management, conditions, feeds, weeds, etc etc.
Having the location under your name helped me sort out and visualize the different conditions we all raise our cattle under.

I want to wish you all a healthy and productive 2005,

CowCop
Vermont

cherokeeruby":18l7qtj4 said:
Welcome to the board CowCop, I live in Texas east of Dallas but I am not allowed to put my location under my avatar or Caustic Burno will get mad.

;-)

i don't know Ruby......i get the impression Caustic would not only like the location but directions! :shock: :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome aboard. What part of Vermont do you live. We're heading there tomorrow to visit our Daughter & grandsons to celebrate Christmas. They live Northeast of Burlington. They have a dairy farm, but also raise Simmentals (belong to grandsons). >>

Ahhhh....one of my favorite words---Simmentals.......
What town are they in, in Vermont ?
I lived all over that part of VT as an undergrad, but mostly in the beautiful Northeast Kingdom ( milking cows ).

Right now I am in the Southeastern part of the Green Mountain State in Springfield VT.
Right along the VERY fertile Conneticut River in Windsor County--which also is the #1 county in the state for having the largest amounts of beef cattle AND the BEST maple syrup~!

I raise traditional Simmentals and commercial Angus. A small, but productive growing herd. I have had all heifers for 3 years. My 12 year old Simmental has had 12 heifers in a row--blessing me with twin heifers this year. ( coyotes got one ) I will need to trade for a few bulls/steers next year if history keeps repeating itself.
Anyone else have a higher % heifer to bull ratio the past few years ?

I board my cattle at my elderly friend's ( a spry 80 yr old sugar maker ) farm on 663 acres of prime mountain top land and help him with his much larger Angus/Hereford herd. I spent the summer haying the "rolling fields " inbetween all the rain and was able to make 550 of those 800 lb rolled bales. Not enough to feed the herd until May 15th when they "usually " can go out to pasture. We are careful about how much hay we are rolling out every other day now... and the cows know it....

Until I came with my cows 3 years ago, no other cattle had ever been brought onto the farm. ( other than a new bull every 2 years ) He has never bought a single cow since 1960, everything has been bred up from his original record-breaking milking shorthorn herd.
I have a devotion to this farmer, farm and herd that I can't express with words.
Bob has taught me alot and I have shown him a few things I learned when I worked on a Simm ranch in Florida. He is an "old timer" and didn't even worm his cattle. When I showed him the difference in weaning weights ( 60 lbs ) between his calves and mine... he allowed me to worm the whole herd several times the first year, saw the results, and now its routine.
In this part of the world, allowing me to work his cows AND many times asking ME for help with the herd, as opposed to asking his own SONS, is the highest compliment I could ever have. ESPECIALLY when you have a horrible Boston accent and are female. .....

Sorry to ramble on, but it is SO exciting to actually be in the presence of good cow folks~!!

My only "claim to fame" is that one of my traditional heifers beat one of David Rockefellars black Sim heifers at the world renown Fryburg Fair in Maine several years ago. It still gives me goosebumps to even think about it. That was my final year of showing, and my final act of "payback" for his wife outbidding me on a pair of twin Simms at the Bond sale in 1982. ;-)

Other cattle groups I have been on--have been mostly the cattle groups on Yahoo, and there is a small New England group that I am moderator for.

Keep up the good educational conversations and have a SAFE New Years Eve. If you dare to venture out on the roads WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS~!!

CowCop

CowCop":128cxwz1 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome aboard. What part of Vermont do you live. We're heading there tomorrow to visit our Daughter & grandsons to celebrate Christmas. They live Northeast of Burlington. They have a dairy farm, but also raise Simmentals (belong to grandsons). >>

Ahhhh....one of my favorite words---Simmentals.......
What town are they in, in Vermont ?
I lived all over that part of VT as an undergrad, but mostly in the beautiful Northeast Kingdom ( milking cows ).

Right now I am in the Southeastern part of the Green Mountain State in Springfield VT.

Right along the VERY fertile Conneticut River in Windsor County--which also is the #1 county in the state for having the largest amounts of beef cattle AND the BEST maple syrup~!

I raise traditional Simmentals and commercial Angus. A small, but productive growing herd. I have had all heifers for 3 years. My 12 year old Simmental has had 12 heifers in a row--blessing me with twin heifers this year. ( coyotes got one ) I will need to trade for a few bulls/steers next year if history keeps repeating itself.
Anyone else have a higher % heifer to bull ratio the past few years ?

I board my cattle at my elderly friend's ( a spry 80 yr old sugar maker ) farm on 663 acres of prime mountain top land and help him with his much larger Angus/Hereford herd. I spent the summer haying the "rolling fields " inbetween all the rain and was able to make 550 of those 800 lb rolled bales. Not enough to feed the herd until May 15th when they "usually " can go out to pasture. We are careful about how much hay we are rolling out every other day now... and the cows know it....

Until I came with my cows 3 years ago, no other cattle had ever been brought onto the farm. ( other than a new bull every 2 years ) He has never bought a single cow since 1960, everything has been bred up from his original record-breaking milking shorthorn herd.
I have a devotion to this farmer, farm and herd that I can't express with words.
Bob has taught me alot and I have shown him a few things I learned when I worked on a Simm ranch in Florida. He is an "old timer" and didn't even worm his cattle. When I showed him the difference in weaning weights ( 60 lbs ) between his calves and mine... he allowed me to worm the whole herd several times the first year, saw the results, and now its routine.
In this part of the world, allowing me to work his cows AND many times asking ME for help with the herd, as opposed to asking his own SONS, is the highest compliment I could ever have. ESPECIALLY when you have a horrible Boston accent and are female. .....

Sorry to ramble on, but it is SO exciting to actually be in the presence of good cow folks~!!

My only "claim to fame" is that one of my traditional heifers beat one of David Rockefellars black Sim heifers at the world renown Fryburg Fair in Maine several years ago. It still gives me goosebumps to even think about it. That was my final year of showing, and my final act of "payback" for his wife outbidding me on a pair of twin Simms at the Bond sale in 1982. ;-)

Other cattle groups I have been on--have been mostly the cattle groups on Yahoo, and there is a small New England group that I am moderator for.

Keep up the good educational conversations and have a SAFE New Years Eve. If you dare to venture out on the roads WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS~!!

CowCop

They live in Johnson. If you go to my web site - to snapshots - you can see pics of my grandsons. They are 13 & 15 and have been showing Simmental for 9 years!! They go to the National Simmental show each year. Been to Ohio, Montana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisianna, Kentucky (many times). They are well-traveled little showmen.
Our daughter is the Vermont State 4-h Leader.
We raise both reds & blacks.

Thankyou CowCop and welcome. I thank you for the nudge to step out of the shadows and join the conversations. I too have been reading these boards for quite some time, many many months. Joined a while back, now finally posting. I have learned alot from this group of cattle people. This is one of the most informative boards I've visited. Thankyou M. Gravelee for this "place".
I appreciate the locations below the avatars for the same reasons that CowCop listed. Learned alot about various management practices and compare them to what I do here.
I guess I could be considered a half-way newbie. Went into this cattle "venture" believing I knew not much of anything, knowing I need to learn a whole lot more, but realising I knew more than I thought I did...at least the basics anyhow. What I do here at home is very, very small-time. I am fortunate enough to have a helpful "mentor" friend and also fortunate to work on a farm that, on average, has 1200 head of Angus. My main job at the farm is not related to the cattle. But, have the opportunity to help "work the cows" upon occasion, and to observe, listen and learn. I have learned so much from the folks I work with as well.
Anyhow, sorry this was so long-winded. I hope this post is posted in the right place.

txag":33n0adip said:
cherokeeruby":33n0adip said:

;-)

i don't know Ruby......i get the impression Caustic would not only like the location but directions! :shock: :lol:

Welcome Yank

txag as usual you are right on the mark.

Always room on the boards for another "cattleperson".. and especially a Simmental fancier!

Welcome to the boards! If we're not careful, the majority is going to swing from Brahmans to Simmentals!

:D

Welcome to the boards! If we're not careful, the majority is going to swing from Brahmans to Simmentals!

Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Are there many Simmental folks here?

Any Simbra or Beefmaster ?

There is actually a Beefmaster breeder up here in Vermont and I plan to go visit them in the future.

Would anyone be offended if I put a photo of a cow with an unusual condition here, and you could tell me what it is ?
It isn't a prolapse..... but it is rather graphic.

Please let me know.

CowCop

CowCop... I'm a Simmental / Simbrah breeder. Jeanne is also of course, and there are others!

We were in Burlington in October.. absolutely BEAUTIFUL country! If it wasn't so darned cold, I wouldn't mind living there myself.

[/quote]

Would anyone be offended if I put a photo of a cow with an unusual condition here, and you could tell me what it is ?
It isn't a prolapse..... but it is rather graphic.

[/quote]

post it