Never see my bull breeding ????? He might be like me

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
So I am starting to think my bull is like me just likes to eat and sleep and not breed :cboy: He has been on the property for 5 months and we have not once seen him mount a thing. Now he's a gentle boy even likes a rubbing etc. He will have a girlfriend at times which gives me hope. You will see him with a cow that has calved 30-60 days after they have calved for a day or two. Im guessing there heat cycle as he will curl his lip, smell them, etc but maybe he's just shy? After a few days with the cow he's done with them again like me 10 years ago :mrgreen: We are new to these cows and all where bought bread. So he has zero calves. I guess my question is how often do you catch your bull getting the job done? We are down there a lot and I have seen zero action. But after he is with his girlfriend for a day or two he has never been back with her the following month etc. Which leads me to believe he got his job done and is not looking to be hamburger yet. First calf we had was in Jan now we have 14 out of 25 cows. None are his. So I guess its time to get a biopryn test done? Do you see your bull mounting much or is is again like me only at night?What are your thoughts

Thanks again

Sometimes I "catch him in the act" but most times I don't.

A friend of ours had a really nice Brahma bull for years. He had that bull at least 10 years or more. In all those years he never once saw that bull breed a cow. But he had calves, right on schedule (within their last calving dates) every year.

Some bulls are "shy", some bulls are pretty quick.

If you don't see him go back to them, and "have a girlfriend for a couple of days", after a month then it is pretty safe to say that he got the job done.

BUT.....its a good idea to preg-check your cows anyhow just to be sure that the job is being done, in a timely fashion. You can do that with the at-home test kits, or have your vet out to do it.

Was the bull tested prior to you acquiring him? Did he have a BSE (breeding soundness exam) done?

Katherine

Well if I had any doubt I would catch a few and blood test them otherwise you will set the whole herd back a year and no one wants that.

Saying that, if he is following them around for a couple days and then quits, he is most likely getting the dirty deed done.

I would rather be safe than sorry. Test a few of them for peace of mind.

I agree with what everyone said here so far about the bull, now to diagnose whats happening with you......... :hide:

I am a lost cause hahahaha. Thanks guys I just ordered red top tubes to test the bull. Im scared to see any test for me

Umm... ??? I think most people were referring to drawing blood from the COWS to see if they were bred.

The bull I have now seems to just breed everything, it doesn't matter if they're in heat or not.. if they're crowded by the waterer.. everyone is fair game! It makes it hard to tell which ones are in heat!

I didn't mean test the bull, I meant test a few cows. Im gonna attempt the tail bleed method. See how it goes. I hopes he's doing his job as I like the guy. Thanks friends

I'm wondering about my bull... He seems to breed, I know there was a heifer in heat to day, he followed her up a dead end road to our water intake, and I met him on his way down, I think the heifer was bred then, but I've never seen any of them with "pump handle tail"... Wondering if that's not a good sign.. he doesn't seem to hang around much, but our last bull was like that.. He'd do his job, sniff to doublecheck, and walk right off... Most of them did have pump handle tail after though

I've seen my bull twice the last 2 1/2 years. 13 out of 16 had calves last year. 15 out of 16 this year. But I'm only around them about 30 minutes a day in the evening Lot of time left. I assume he prefers morning sex.

mnbryant2001":gp1eqh4h said:
I've seen my bull twice the last 2 1/2 years. 13 out of 16 had calves last year. 15 out of 16 this year. But I'm only around them about 30 minutes a day in the evening Lot of time left. I assume he prefers morning sex.

That is horrible percentages. You have some prime candidates for McDonald's.

Latest posts