Never Guess

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
It is raining it's butt off here again this morning.
Coming down in buckets.
Had a tree on the fence yesterday FWD mule high centered in the muck.
Just closed the pasture off until I can get some equipment in.

Beats the drought. Its been wet here too. I've had to do some road improvements just to get around in some areas. Starting to dry now and weather is nice. Things are growing but I think we will be getting your rain tomorrow.

it rained just under 3/4 of an inch last night at the house. Don't know how much the pastures got yet. I hope to get down there this evening.

Jogeephus":u9u5ju1s said:
Beats the drought. Its been wet here too. I've had to do some road improvements just to get around in some areas. Starting to dry now and weather is nice. Things are growing but I think we will be getting your rain tomorrow.

I agree just never seen it this wet here before.
There is no way to get t my back pasture cept on foot.
You could go in with a FWD tractor but that is just another mess to fix when it dries
out. So I just closed the cows out till I can get a tractor in without tearing up a half
an acre or worse getting a tractor stuck.

My cousins over around Longview have been telling me about the muddy messes that have.

Our ground here is actually saturated. First time in years. The ice melted slow and it soaked in. Cow foot prints run deep for the first time in years. Ponds are still low. The drought indices still show us in severe trouble, but we are better.

We have had sufficient rain. Probably a little more than average for the year (but February was dry)...not a mucky deep mess but the top couple inches are mushy. Haven't had many sunshine days, mostly cloudy damp drizzly weather. Noticed yesterday that the ryegrass is ready to tiller and boot out. Clover is beginning to stick out too.

Nearly an inch between between 3am and daylight here. 2 days of sun sure was nice, and it's mostly sunny right now. We sure didn't need any more water than what was already on the ground.
Red oaks are starting to bud now--even the big ones, and the Bradford (non-bearing) pear trees have had blooms for over a week.
Won't be long before it's time to drop the hay forks and hook up to the sprayer. I think weeds are gonna be prolific this year, with so much moisture in the soil.

The wet weather is really bringing on the volunteer clover. Suspect the soaking of the seed helps to soften them so they come up.

I looked at my radar at about 5 am and was disgusted to see that one little storm just sitting on us. I am READY for the rain to stop already, and the sun to stay out. Calving has been an absolute mess.

We are soaked too . But what worries me is 2 or 3 times the weather man said 80 percent and we got a few drops . we don't need it now but could turn out like a few years ago . They missed several times on the forecast and we ended up in a big drought.

On the other hand, the red oaks, sweet gum, sycamore and almost everything else are leafing out, and the pastures are green. Walked down to the pond yesterday and fed the catfish--saw a small alligator moseying along so everything is beginning to think it's spring anyway.
I've had to mow the lawn twice this month already.

Gonna be a bumper crop of pine cones this year--never seen the pollen so bad. I watched on old crane light in a pinetree by the pond and he stirred loose so much pollen it looked like a big puff of yellow smoke poured out--pond surface and everything else including wife's black car is covered with yellow powder. I'd post a picture but afraid SL would see it and tell me I have a sulfur problem. :hide:

greybeard":2jw9gtss said:
On the other hand, the red oaks, sweet gum, sycamore and almost everything else are leafing out, and the pastures are green. Walked down to the pond yesterday and fed the catfish--saw a small alligator moseying along so everything is beginning to think it's spring anyway.
I've had to mow the lawn twice this month already.

Gonna be a bumper crop of pine cones this year--never seen the pollen so bad. I watched on old crane light in a pinetree by the pond and he stirred loose so much pollen it looked like a big puff of yellow smoke poured out--pond surface and everything else including wife's black car is covered with yellow powder. I'd post a picture but afraid SL would see it and tell me I have a sulfur problem. :hide:

I have the same sulfur problem.
The thing we have that is not normal is skeeters this bad as early in the year.
We usually don't have standing water except the sloughs in creek bottoms.
These sand hills have water standing all over them.

We hit a record high today of 84.
Skeeters are so bad you can actually see swarms of them through rifle scope this evening hog hunting.
Got ran to the house right before dark we are getting hammered by a heck of a thunder storm.
I just hope GB hasn't drown in that flat country.

Latest posts