Never Forget a Kindness

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
In 1986, Mkele Mbembe was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. While hiking through the bush, he came upon a young bull elephant standing with one foot raised and seemingly distressed. Approaching slowly and carefully, Mkele could see a piece of wood protruding from the pad of the foot. As carefully and gently as he could, Mkele used his hunting knife to remove the wood from the wound.

As soon as it was out, the elephant gently placed it's foot on the ground as if to test it, then slowly turned toward the man and for several tense minutes just stared at him. Mkele realized he was defenseless, but after sounding a loud trumpet, it turned and walked away.

Mkele never forgot that day and what had occurred so twenty years later while walking through the Chicago Zoo, he was amazed to see a large bull elephant staring at him. It then lifted it foot and trumpeted loudly. Mkele watched as the elephant repeated this process again and again, staring straight at him the whole time.

Recalling the 1986 events, Mkele couldn't help but wonder if this were the same beast. Summoning all his courage, he scaled the wall and jumped into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder as the elephant trumpeted loudly. Finally the elephant gave one more loud trumpet, wrapped his trunk around Mkele's leg, and slammed him into the retaining wall, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same elephant.

If this made me laugh out loud ~ does that mean there is something wrong with me? I mean, it really is rather tragic....

angie2":7mvwln1s said:
If this made me laugh out loud ~ does that mean there is something wrong with me? I mean, it really is rather tragic....

Me too. We're both probably pretty sick puppies. :lol2:

Hasbeen":3jihdgsv said:
angie2":3jihdgsv said:

Me too. We're both probably pretty sick puppies. :lol2:

Me three...Suppose we must all be a bit alike for being on the boards. :roll: think we might need.. :help:

Now that's funny! Specially if you picture some poney-tail wearing fella wearing a PETA shirt hopping into the pen with the elephant.

Latest posts