Never Ending

Help Support CattleToday:

That's the ultimate problem, no waiver prevents the cost to defend it or if there is a "legitimate" case, by today's standards.

If you do not have a legitimate lease that is generating real money the juice is not worth the squeeze.

A cousin of mine, who I am not a fan of, owned an adjoining property to some family land. Part of the road to their property goes through ours. Her and her husband were living on their property. He husband had an atv and would ride around on theirs and ultimately ours also. My cousin and her sister had always been given access due to their dad. Othe family members did not want to man up and tell them we did not want the husband riding around one he property.

Long story short. The idiot rolls the atv on our part and starts getting squirrely with the family. We have to turn it over to insurance and they settle it. As soon as they settle it my parents hand them written notice they are not to be on the property with out written notice. It's undevided so we can not stop any one but liability will fall to those who allow them access.

It was quite the talk in the family at the time. My cousin just couldn't understand why. She kept saying... it was just insurance money... not yalls money. She learned that from her loose and unscrupulous mother.

That road being closed to them is on my list of things that will happen shortly after it is in my name.

That's the ultimate problem, no waiver prevents the cost to defend it or if there is a "legitimate" case, by today's standards.

If you do not have a legitimate lease that is generating real money the juice is not worth the squeeze.

A cousin of mine, who I am not a fan of, owned an adjoining property to some family land. Part of the road to their property goes through ours. Her and her husband were living on their property. He husband had an atv and would ride around on theirs and ultimately ours also. My cousin and her sister had always been given access due to their dad. Othe family members did not want to man up and tell them we did not want the husband riding around one he property.

Long story short. The idiot rolls the atv on our part and starts getting squirrely with the family. We have to turn it over to insurance and they settle it. As soon as they settle it my parents hand them written notice they are not to be on the property with out written notice. It's undevided so we can not stop any one but liability will fall to those who allow them access.

It was quite the talk in the family at the time. My cousin just couldn't understand why. She kept saying... it was just insurance money... not yalls money. She learned that from her loose and unscrupulous mother.

That road being closed to them is on my list of things that will happen shortly after it is in my name.
I showed a buddy I carried hunting on our Bama place the other day a cut oak trunk with a tow strap still on it from where my brother tried to slip in there and steal timber from us and got caught in the act. Then he went on about how it was just the one tree (a lie, he was going to cut more)... it was 150-200 or more years old and huge... if we wanted it cut we'd have sold it to somebody who makes furniture. People, man.

It's sad that everything comes down to liability anymore. Even when giving somebody a hand there's always that thought in the back of our minds. A few years ago the Fedex truck got stuck in a snow drift above the house, how he made it to where he did was an accomplishment in itself but it finally sucked him in. He called and since we've got machinery I told him I'd run up and give them a pull. When I got there though I told him he'd have to hook his end up to the truck, I'll hook my end on my machine. Poor guy was in shorts laying in a snow drift trying to find something to hook that strap to freezin' his tail off but in the off chance something gave I had to make sure the fault was on their employee. I was ashamed I had to do it but anymore you've got to protect yourself first. Kinda went sideways from the original question but I can see where you guys are coming from not letting folks on your places. It's one of the things I'd like to do someday is get down south and have some fun shooting hogs with the kids when they're old enough.

It's sad that everything comes down to liability anymore. Even when giving somebody a hand there's always that thought in the back of our minds. A few years ago the Fedex truck got stuck in a snow drift above the house, how he made it to where he did was an accomplishment in itself but it finally sucked him in. He called and since we've got machinery I told him I'd run up and give them a pull. When I got there though I told him he'd have to hook his end up to the truck, I'll hook my end on my machine. Poor guy was in shorts laying in a snow drift trying to find something to hook that strap to freezin' his tail off but in the off chance something gave I had to make sure the fault was on their employee. I was ashamed I had to do it but anymore you've got to protect yourself first. Kinda went sideways from the original question but I can see where you guys are coming from not letting folks on your places. It's one of the things I'd like to do someday is get down south and have some fun shooting hogs with the kids when they're old enough.
You can still do that. We still let people we trust on the place, and many more do. Just less than there were. When I was a kid, knocking on a door and maybe asking a parent to help me make a nice gift was enough to get access to most land. When I was 18 I had hunting permissions for around 130 acres that wasn't our own.

It's the introduction of the Russian boar. You could take a hog dog in my youth and catch every hog in the county.
The domestic running the woods would bunch when bayed. The Russian doesn't play that way, if there is 20 hogs they scatter in 20 directions.
Heavy Russian influence more domestic influence

Wild hogs didn't become a problem here until I was grown; around 1980. As far as I know there weren't any in the area before that.

We have a big wild hog population here, in 99 they were almost non-existent on our place but now I've got a 60 or 70 acre pasture in the bottom that is almost always so rooted up I don't take the Kubota cab tractor back there due to it's short wheel bas and will only go on the old Case 930 which is long as a freight train

No it does not heal well and it does not improve any thing.

There is absolutely nothing positive about hogs.

You cant hardly even drive in the pastures with equipment or vehicles.

The best thing you can do is fence them out so you can manage the few that still slip in.
they can take out a lot of fences and get through, it takes a pretty tough fence to keep hogs in or out

I have never been around wild hogs. Do they go wild in the 1st generation of crossing with a wild hog or is domestication
still possible for another generation? No I am not going to try it! This is just for my own edification.

I have never been around wild hogs. Do they go wild in the 1st generation of crossing with a wild hog or is domestication
still possible for another generation? No I am not going to try it! This is just for my own edification.
They can be redomesticated, that's how we got them. It takes a while, though, but they go feral within a month or two. To add, if you take turn them loose they'll be wild before you find them again if you don't make it a full time effort.

I do it all the time.
didn't say it couldn't be done but for a lot of people it's pretty impractical or just too much work, we usually run 5- 7 strand barbwire fence, to replace all of that with net wire is a job I don't want to take on, when I bought this place I got half of 2 estates, 229 acres with a fence down the middle so fences have been an ongoing issue

didn't say it couldn't be done but for a lot of people it's pretty impractical or just too much work, we usually run 5- 7 strand barbwire fence, to replace all of that with net wire is a job I don't want to take on, when I bought this place I got half of 2 estates, 229 acres with a fence down the middle so fences have been an ongoing issue
Net wire is too expensive and labor intensive. Plus it doesn't work that good.

We do the same. I add barbed wires to the bottom. I originally did the hay patches and stuff a long time ago to see if it would work. Now, when we have fence builders on a place I get them to do the perimeters. They do it cheaper and faster than I can.

It pays for itself in equipment break downs alone.

Net wire is too expensive and labor intensive. Plus it doesn't work that good.

We do the same. I add barbed wires to the bottom. I originally did the hay patches and stuff a long time ago to see if it would work. Now, when we have fence builders on a place I get them to do the perimeters. They do it cheaper and faster than I can.

It pays for itself in equipment break downs alone.
how many strands down low and what height?, I'd love to fence them out

I wonder if and when some smart guy working with facial recognition will find a way to send a lethal charge down a fenceline as hogs try to cross.

I'd like to see someone do that with European starlings too, as they flock on highlines while migrating.

They ever scratch out a place to crawl under?
There has to be an existing low area. When you start getting a bigger gap than what you see there they will get their nose under it a pry up. It's pretty rare. You are eliminating 98% of the traffic. When you first do it we take cattle panels cut in squares and stab them in and wire them to the fence in low spots.

Over time areas may erode out and you will have to add panels hear or there in low area.

Putting the wires like that makes it manageable. You at least have a fighting chance.

There has to be an existing low area. When you start getting a bigger gap than what you see there they will get their nose under it a pry up. It's pretty rare. You are eliminating 98% of the traffic. When you first do it we take cattle panels cut in squares and stab them in and wire them to the fence in low spots.

Over time areas may erode out and you will have to add panels hear or there in low area.

Putting the wires like that makes it manageable. You at least have a fighting chance.
Roger that.

Latest posts